Turn on thread page Beta

Advice needed on how i'm going to live on this amount? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any useful advice, just sympathy i reckon il feel pretty annoyed if i go to uni for 3 years and i end up on 12k, i feel like uni was then wasted. if you look at it as more education since your going back and try and forget its a job in the real world haha, and just another part of becoming a teacher (which it seems to be from this thread, as you said you need to do it), being skint might not hurt as much lol. good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    Because it's the only way i can do it. I can't move home because there's no jobs there?
    There aren't any cheaper flats available to rent in your area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    There aren't any cheaper flats available to rent in your area?

Not reeeally. Surrey is the wealthiest part of the country (or one of) - the house prices are extortionate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ally*)
    I don't have any useful advice, just sympathy i reckon il feel pretty annoyed if i go to uni for 3 years and i end up on 12k, i feel like uni was then wasted. if you look at it as more education since your going back and try and forget its a job in the real world haha, and just another part of becoming a teacher (which it seems to be from this thread, as you said you need to do it), being skint might not hurt as much lol. good luck

But i'm not 'ending up' on 12K - the point is i'm training to be a teacher so will end up on more once i get my career, this job isn't a career.

ReputationRep:
    But i'm not 'ending up' on 12K - the point is i'm training to be a teacher so will end up on more once i get my career, this job isn't a career.
    i know thats what i meant, i mean don't think about it like thats an end wage its still education and then being skint might not sting as much.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually £12600 - not that this affects the monthly payments much.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers get over 20grand when they've qualified. After I came out of uni the first time i struggled to even find a minimum wage job. take it. £250 is loads to live on, you just have to watch it. anyway you'll be so exhausted when you've finished work you won't want to go out and spend money. here's a silly article on 50 top ways to save money, some are stupid, but there's some truth in it. http://money.sky.com/mp/compare/savi...eb.html?page=6

ReputationRep:
    Can you not get rid of the travelcard, drive and park close to work and then walk the rest of the way?

Is house share an option?

ReputationRep:
    £250 a month is around £60 (and a few more pounds) a week. Just live sparingly. Go to the market and get cheap fruit and vegetables. Get supermarket brand groceries.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, I might end up in a similar position...so wouldn't mind hearing how this works out! I guess its just a year, so you'll just need to downsize in areas of your life.

OT: I've seen OP at Oceana Kingston (I have a really good memory...lol)

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I recently graduated from University but am taking a year old before hopefully taking a primary PGCE next September.

I studied a degree with no relevance to teaching so i understand to get on to my course it's important i get as much experience in a classroom as possible.

I've been offered a full time classroom assistant position starting in September, however it's 9-5 and the salary is £12 000 PA. This is really really low as i'm aware - it'll only leave me with about £850 a month after tax, taking away rent and bills it'll probably only leave me with about £250 disposable income a month.

This isn't a lot and i don't know if i should actually take this job as i'm so scared i can hold out for a better paid teaching assistant job - i'm so confused. After Uni i always imagined myself earning more than this!

Help
    Congratulations on graduating.
    take the job its quite good pay.

try to make some changes to your lifestyle for a year to give u some more cash.

1.move in with parents/friend/cousins.
    2.you mentioned car insurance and travelcard im assuming u live in london. if you do sell your car or declare it off road. stop the insurance and only use public transport to get around.
    3.look for a better phone deal paygo or contract.
    4.buy bogof food stuffs and cheaper stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    OT: I've seen OP at Oceana Kingston (I have a really good memory...lol)

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    I hope that didn't weird you out.

I guess its somewhat of a compliment that you didn't just blend into the background too!

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    I hope that didn't weird you out.

I guess its somewhat of a compliment that you didn't just blend into the background too!

lol

Hmmmm i guess - bit weird though! haha. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.