Turn on thread page Beta

Does smoking make spots worse? watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title says really..

I have recently come out in LOADS of little whiteheads around my mouth and chin and read on the internet smoking can cause them/make them worse.

If i do get spots they are usually around my period and around my mouth, but i came off my period a week ago now!

I have quite dry rather than oily skin so don't get spots often but they have come out to play in force recently! I haven't changed my diet (although NEED to be healthier!)

I also have a few (not whiteheads) teeney ones on my forehead - but i'm worried going to the doctor asking for treatment could make it worse as i haven't got acne as such.

Arghhh..

Hmmmm, i don't think they do...cos i smoke and it doesnt affect me....i think its more about how clean your face is....ie cleaning your face.. sweat and poor diet such as too much sweet/fatty foods affects it....as well as hormones give it a few days and theyll be gone

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it does.

ReputationRep:
    Doc will prescribe you dianette - this is probably menstraul-related acne

ReputationRep:
    I don't wanna go on the pill though! ARGHHH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    Yeah, it does.

?? Any explanation as to how you know?

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt
    its just u goin thru a "phase" or summink
    i've been smokin 5 years an no issue with spots

ReputationRep:
    I'll be very brief about it, because the research for causes of acne is scarce;

- dry skin or oily skin, doesn't determine if you get acne or not, more over, dry skin is more prone to developing it because it means your skin needs to be moisturied, no moisterising means excess sebum secretion from ur glands means a build up and blocking of pores and so whiteheads result.
    - smoking dries your body out of water and makes ur skin drier causing more sebum secretion. Every fag u smoke requires u to drink 3 cups of water to balance the water loss.
    - **** contain impurities , (u know this!) which deposits into ur blood stream effecting ur cardiovascular system and so weakening ur immune system to fight of bacteria on ur face leading to acne.

sorry ;D didn't tell u that before, didnt wana scare ya!

ReputationRep:
    If smoking is going to affect your skin in any way, its going to age you faster, rather than give you spots. I've been smoking for four years and have never had a spot in my life.

However, I do notice that my skin does look worse for wear after I have been ignoring healthy foods and going for greasier, fattier options.

ReputationRep:
    Well tbh, smoking doesnt really help anything apart from a quicker road to death.
    So yes smoking probably does make spots worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IJI147)
    it doesnt
    its just u goin thru a "phase" or summink
    i've been smokin 5 years an no issue with spots
    yeah sure you started when you were 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milner001)
    yeah sure you started when you were 11
    i did
    what's the point ure trying to make here ?

ReputationRep:
    They don't lie on the internet
    Actually, they do, but reliable health websites do say that smoking leads to poor skin. We were told this at school when learning about drugs,alcohol and smoking

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.