Turn on thread page Beta

Could you respect somebody who had no desire for relationships/sex? watch

ReputationRep:
    Imagine a grown man, maybe in his 30s/40s, never had a girlfriend, never had sex. Could you still talk to him respectfully, or would the fact that he is 'weird' simply be too much of a distraction for you to respect him anyway? If so, what does that say about you?

ReputationRep:
    People don't go around saying whether they've had sex or not...

/thread

ReputationRep:
    lol id still respect him and that...just dont take relationship advice from the guy
    ...i feel bad for him lol you know why he hasnt done any o this?

ReputationRep:
    I dont judge people on what or who they have been envolved with it makes them no less of a person or no less deserving of my respect.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't lose respect for him, but I would think that there must be some underlying psychological reason for it. I also might pity them a little bit, which some people may think is a sign of a lack of respect (though I don't).

ReputationRep:
    Respect is for the individual, not having had relationships/sex is irrelevant. Who cares really...

ReputationRep:
    There's someone in my family like this. It's quite weird but I don't disrespect him for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd find it a little odd that he's NEVER had a girlfriend by the time he was 30/40, but he wouldn't lose any respect for him. I'd just imagine he has his personal reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I could, that's like Michael Jackson and he's my idol =)

(Original post by CapturedSoul)
    I'd find it a little odd that he's NEVER had a girlfriend by the time he was 30/40, but he wouldn't lose any respect for him. I'd just imagine he has his personal reasons.
    WHy does there have to be a reason? Some guys are good-looking, have money, drive, have a good personality but end up lonely... why is having a relationship so much the norm?

Tbh it's not odd AT ALL. You're all abit pretentious and oh so snuggled up in ur own relationships to be thinking its odd to see a 30 year old singleton. Pity I can understand but there is no mystery to a guy being lonely throughout his life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    WHy does there have to be a reason? Some guys are good-looking, have money, drive, have a good personality but end up lonely... why is having a relationship so much the norm?

Tbh it's not odd AT ALL. You're all abit pretentious and oh so snuggled up in ur own relationships to be thinking its odd to see a 30 year old singleton. Pity I can understand but there is no mystery to a guy being lonely throughout his life.
    It's rare, so yes it's odd.

ReputationRep:

Oh calm down. 30/40 is the age where a lot of men and woman settle down with a partner, so for a man of that age to NEVER be interested in having a relationship is a little odd. The question wasn't about someone who's never had a relationship at 30, but someone who has no desire for a relationship. Of course there's a reason why someone doesn't desire a relationship. Learn to read properly next time.

ReputationRep:
    I would lol at his face

ReputationRep:
    Sure I could respect him, though I wouldnt take any dating advice from him

ReputationRep:

"No man is an island"

ReputationRep:
    tbf i knew a masters student who was like 30 years old at Uni and he was a virgin and he was a really cool guy otherwise. was a bit funny seeing him asking me for advice on how to get a girl :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud Shine)
    "No man is an island"
    Though they could be a peninsula

ReputationRep:

If he's or she's lonely then it's not a choice, which would suggest he or she would change it if they could.

The only time you can rail against the norm is you're enjoying what it is which is abnormal. Silly person.

As for the OP, I wouldn't give two ***** off a shovel really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    As for the OP, I wouldn't give two ***** off a shovel really.
    Took the keys from under my fingers.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get how I would know that about a person. I would find it strange but that doesnt have anything to do with repsect, so, yes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.