Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have a problem with sweating. (not to mention embarassingness - my left armpit sweats WAY MORE than my right armpit.) Pretty much all photos of me include sweat patches...

Most antiperspirant deodorants don't seem to work, so what can I try? I've heard of antiperspirants such as odaban and perspirex and perspi-guard and such, but do these actually work? Is there anything that can be recommended?

Thanks

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    have u tried waxing/shaving and roll on deodorants work okai =)

ReputationRep:
    driclor is your saviour, you can get it at boots i use it and then use sanex as a normal anti-perspirant, get that from boots too. i recently discovered poundland do the sanex though, so its worth a look if you are on a budget!

edit: this is the driclor stuff, http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=11051

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctors. They can advise you on ones which can prevent excessive sweating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applemilk1992)
    I seem to have a problem with sweating. (not to mention embarassingness - my left armpit sweats WAY MORE than my right armpit.) Pretty much all photos of me include sweat patches...

Most antiperspirant deodorants don't seem to work, so what can I try? I've heard of antiperspirants such as odaban and perspirex and perspi-guard and such, but do these actually work? Is there anything that can be recommended?

Thanks
    I have exactly the same problem as you - even down to the whole the left arm sweating more than the right.

To be honest no supermarket anti-perspirant will work as they're only really intended to deal with very light sweating. None worked for me.
    I went to my doctor and got prescribed one with aluminium-chloride in it.

Basically you roll it on a little bit each time before you go to bed. The first few nights it itched and stung me like Hell, but it was worth it in the end as it actually works well - only twice after wearing it I didn't sweat one bit in the work shirt that I normally pour out of.

The great thing too is that as you use it more you don't have to use it as much. For example now I can get away with once/twice a week if I want and it doesn't affect me at all in terms of itching or hurt.

Summary: Go to your GP! (You will need to tell them you've tried all the usual 'on the shelf' products)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmesunshine)
    driclor is your saviour, you can get it at boots i use it and then use sanex as a normal anti-perspirant, get that from boots too. i recently discovered poundland do the sanex though, so its worth a look if you are on a budget!

edit: this is the driclor stuff, http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=11051
    I got this one recommended to me after I started using my GP presribed one. I didn't even know you could buy them off of the shelf until a friend told me.
    The one off the doctor worked just as well, too. =]
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Mitchum is good.

Look at Driclor as well.

ReputationRep:
    triple dry is good too, it's basically the same as driclor, perspirex etc.
    it's worth a trip to the docs, see what they give you then work out if it's cheaper to get stuff on prescription or buy it from the shops

ReputationRep:
    Mitchum is the only thing that works for me. It's really annoying that so many deodorants these days are designed to moisturise your underarms, when what they should be focusing on is stopping sweat.

ReputationRep:
    Odaban's really good, about £8 off eBay. I used it once and didn't get patches again for weeks. Nowadays I only have to use it every few months. Really does itch like hell, though... I've tried it on places like my back and my decolletage, but end up itching most of it off :rolleyes: it's not too bad under the arms though.

Make sure you still use a good deodorant, though, because for some reason it can still smell, even if the sweat isn't there :s

ReputationRep:
    Echoing what others have said, try Driclor

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanks for the info guys i'll try that dricolor.. mitchum just doesnt do it for me haha :P

ReputationRep:
    Seconded, thirded, fourded, whatever, for Driclor. It's amazing. I didn't necessarily have a problem before I just hated the smell of antiperspirants. Now I use Driclor like one night a week, wheeeeeee!

Also when it starts wearing off, it's not even like you start sweating properly, it's just a little bit that you can feel, not enough to make patches or anything, so you know to put it on that night

ReputationRep:
    Ditto the others - hyperhydrosis is a bigger problem than you'd imagine! Driclor works wonders, PerspireX is very good too.. I'm now trying TripleDry!

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you wash and dry your armpits before using Driclor or you will cry.

ReputationRep:
    As a lot of people have said, Driclor is really good. But, only apply a small amount [you don't need much/need to apply it all over your arm - just one roll in the middle of the armpit] and only use on dry, clean skin and never just after shaving/waxing - it'll sting otherwise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.