0%
    I have played the PC version - You should probably try the 360 version
    3.13%
    I have played neither but everyone says the 360 version is better
    0%
    I have played neither but everyone says the PC version is better
    18.75%

ReputationRep:
    Which is better? I'll be looking to get it at some point but not sure which is the better experience.

Xbox - No need for installing and all that crap, no worrying about if my processor speed/RAM is enough, use of controller instead of mouse and keyboard.

PC - Modding, being able to put funny sounds and graphics into the game.

My computer can run it (XP, 3.2Ghz dual core processor, 1GB RAM).

I was wondering if there is one better than the other, or if the fun little extras of the PC version makes it superior.

Also, is the content the same on both formats or does Xbox get more DLC?

ReputationRep:
    get on xbox ur pc cant hack it
    no decent graphic card & u probably bought it in currys/pc world

ReputationRep:
    My graphics card is Nvidia and has been perfectly fine. I asked on an L4D forum how they think my computer would do with my specs and everyone there seemed fine with it. Sims 3 has similar specs and that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    360, less hassle with installing and less/no chance of it not working.

ReputationRep:
    nvidia is a very broad spectrum and u probably have integrated graphics
    if u have a geforce 7xxxx series or better then u will be able to run it but with the specs u have (especially if you're running vista) you may get lag or have to turn quality down a lot.

i would suggest get the xbox version, however this http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl will scan ur pc and see if u can run this game, so good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I've already run it on one of those test sites. I already said it was an XP and the graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS.

Less unhelpful assumptions and more answers to the question please. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Modding and funny sounds? Seriously? As if the game isn't fun enough as is. What's the point seriously. I don't see why anyone would choose PC gaming over Xbox gaming. The people who usually do, are:

Sad hackers/modders that gets load of fun out of daft stuff when the game is fun enough as it is
    Even sadder people that say the 360 doesn't give as good "graphics" as they'd like and insist it has to be played on the PC cos it looks "sooo much better" with a blah blah graphics card. When in reality 360 + HDTV = perfectly good.

ReputationRep:
    ok... with your spec it WILL suck hard.
    Go for 360.

ReputationRep:
    PC for sure but only if it can handle it! But then again I run it on my Laptop (Core2Duo 2.0Ghz, 8600M GT, and it runs fine apart from the occasional lag..

Plus once you'v'e completed the game and wish to download new maps and campaigns (Unofficial) then you can via:
    http://www.l4dmods.com/

ReputationRep:
    Nvidia Geforce 7200GS... You do realise that card was bottom of the line when it was released, nearly 3 years ago aswell. Urgent upgrade needed here!

It only needs 64mb of RAM to work to its full potential, to run that game you should have a 256/512mb one which is 4/8 times more.

Even on lowest graphics your pc will practically die on it. Xbox 360 or nothing mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Modding and funny sounds? Seriously? As if the game isn't fun enough as is. What's the point seriously. I don't see why anyone would choose PC gaming over Xbox gaming. The people who usually do, are:

Sad hackers/modders that gets load of fun out of daft stuff when the game is fun enough as it is
    Even sadder people that say the 360 doesn't give as good "graphics" as they'd like and insist it has to be played on the PC cos it looks "sooo much better" with a blah blah graphics card. When in reality 360 + HDTV = perfectly good.

1. So you can expand the game by downloading and trying out unofficial maps and campaigns, and other things? What's wrong with that?

2. Because some people may prefer playing FPS by using a keyboard and mouse as opposed to using a controller? This includes myself as I find it much easier as well as having more freedom to aim accurately as opposed to using a controller which is slower and more difficult to aim accurately... but this is my own opinion which you may or may not disagree with

3. What's wrong with looking to try new things which could add to the gameplay and make it more fun? It may be fun enough as it is but the possibility of free addons/mods/maps/campaigns is something which you cannot ignore? But would you? maybe? maybe not? I certainly don't mind free addons especially new maps and new campaigns which have come from sad hackers/modders

4. Maybe so, but you cannot ignore the fact that PC's can offer gaming superiority especially with new components such as the Intel i7 and the Nvidia Geforce 2xx which could offer better graphics than the Xbox 360... yet in reality an Xbox360 and HD TV is just as good.. but this would depend on the individual and how money they would wish to spend on playing games..

ReputationRep:
    At the moment the posts say 360 but the poll is even, slightly PC.

But in reply to the whole adding sounds etc. and modding not being much, watching a video of PC L4D was what brought the choice up. It can be pretty hilarious (to me anyway).

You can do it to an extent on SWAT 3 and I found being able to do such random things in a serious setting was rather funny and added to the experience. Also on PC, maybe it's not the case on L4D, there tends to be less annoying kids or morons in my experience.

I don't have an HDTV anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    1. So you can expand the game by downloading and trying out unofficial maps and campaigns, and other things? What's wrong with that?

2. Because some people may prefer playing FPS by using a keyboard and mouse as opposed to using a controller? This includes myself as I find it much easier as well as having more freedom to aim accurately as opposed to using a controller which is slower and more difficult to aim accurately... but this is my own opinion which you may or may not disagree with

3. What's wrong with looking to try new things which could add to the gameplay and make it more fun? It may be fun enough as it is but the possibility of free addons/mods/maps/campaigns is something which you cannot ignore? But would you? maybe? maybe not? I certainly don't mind free addons especially new maps and new campaigns which have come from sad hackers/modders

4. Maybe so, but you cannot ignore the fact that PC's can offer gaming superiority especially with new components such as the Intel i7 and the Nvidia Geforce 2xx which could offer better graphics than the Xbox 360... yet in reality an Xbox360 and HD TV is just as good.. but this would depend on the individual and how money they would wish to spend on playing games..
    Well you've said it yourself, xbox and HDTV is sufficient. And sure you get so much extra little things, but I've never understood the desire to have to go that extra leap to PC.

Example time:

I love Half life 2, and I love Portal. Awesome games. There's a mod on PC where one can use the portal gun in Half life 2. Wow it's hilarious, wow I've seen it on youtube, damn that looks fun. But so what? The games are fun enough as is, I could get them on PC and get this mod and wooooo but for how long? A few days? At the end of the day, fascination with mods can die very quickly and a craving for simply a new game will always take priority with most people. I had a friend who got obsessed with Freelancer mods and it gave him an extra... week tops out of the game, then it was time to face facts he was bored with the game and mods weren't going to extend that lifespan by anymore than a couple of weeks at best, so he just bought a new game and got into that, which is effectively what you can do on an xbox, for arguably a much cheaper cost. New games will always trump mods, and buying new games is just what one can do on xbox.

And this point is just a personal one, but personally I just find using a keyboard and mouse to navigate stuff like FPS a complete ball ache. Sitting up in a computer chair with my wrists bent upwards on a mouse and keyboard, just gets awkward. I just remember the days of playing Quake 3 arena like this on my old PC, just got so uncomfy. Will never beat kicking back on a bed/sofa with an ergonomically perfect controller in my hands. The only games I've ever preferred with a mouse and keyboard are RTS, because it's just so damn awkward naviating about all the time in RTS style games with a controller, mouse makes it alot easier, but then again I don't really play RTS so it's xbox all the way.

ReputationRep:
    Wow it's hilarious, wow I've seen it on youtube, damn that looks fun. But so what? The games are fun enough as is, I could get them on PC and get this mod and wooooo but for how long?
    Everyone's different. I thought I should consider it anyway if my PC was up to it (also PC is cheaper new and used at the moment) seeing as there's nothing wrong with getting extra for no extra price/effort.

ReputationRep:
    ummmm.... most games on consoles are on pc aswell, but look/perform better so yeah.
    Not onlt that but u get a fast pc. eg you can buy a gaming rig for about £500-£800 depending on the parts u buy.
    Most people do have a pc (usually bought for about £400 minimum and get ripped of because of sucky cheap end parts from pc world) and also have a 360 so.... in the end really you end up spending the same amount.

ALSO THIS GAME WILL NOT RUN EVEN HALF DECENT ON URE PC SO JUST FORGET IT

ReputationRep:
    Also OP, 1GB RAM for gaming with new releases? Really?

ReputationRep:
    Also OP, 1GB RAM for gaming with new releases? Really?
    It's only just about now (from what I've seen) that games have reached 1GB in their minimum specs, but so far I have had no problems with it. :yes:

Anyway, I get the point. :p:

ReputationRep:
    The mod community is turning me from a console gamer to a PC gamer, the sheer wealth of options on offer is truly phemonenal and so far has kept me occupied well past i've finished the core single player mode.

A prime example: why play GTA: Vice City using stock cars on a console when I can go flying on an X-Wing and driving the batmobile in the PC version???

L4D was built for the PC from the ground up, so naturally the PC version will be the best. I wish more console devs would put more effort into the PC market, i'm fed up of crappy ports (yes Prototype i'm looking at you here)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    It's only just about now (from what I've seen) that games have reached 1GB in their minimum specs, but so far I have had no problems with it. :yes:

Anyway, I get the point. :p:
    Lol yeah but come now, most serious PC gamers completely surpass all minimums, well and truly surpass them. I know this and I'm not even a PC gamer, nor do I know anything substantial about PCs

ReputationRep:
    Well you've said it yourself, xbox and HDTV is sufficient. And sure you get so much extra little things, but I've never understood the desire to have to go that extra leap to PC.

Example time:

I love Half life 2, and I love Portal. Awesome games. There's a mod on PC where one can use the portal gun in Half life 2. Wow it's hilarious, wow I've seen it on youtube, damn that looks fun. But so what? The games are fun enough as is, I could get them on PC and get this mod and wooooo but for how long? A few days? At the end of the day, fascination with mods can die very quickly and a craving for simply a new game will always take priority with most people. I had a friend who got obsessed with Freelancer mods and it gave him an extra... week tops out of the game, then it was time to face facts he was bored with the game and mods weren't going to extend that lifespan by anymore than a couple of weeks at best, so he just bought a new game and got into that, which is effectively what you can do on an xbox, for arguably a much cheaper cost. New games will always trump mods, and buying new games is just what one can do on xbox.

And this point is just a personal one, but personally I just find using a keyboard and mouse to navigate stuff like FPS a complete ball ache. Sitting up in a computer chair with my wrists bent upwards on a mouse and keyboard, just gets awkward. I just remember the days of playing Quake 3 arena like this on my old PC, just got so uncomfy. Will never beat kicking back on a bed/sofa with an ergonomically perfect controller in my hands. The only games I've ever preferred with a mouse and keyboard are RTS, because it's just so damn awkward naviating about all the time in RTS style games with a controller, mouse makes it alot easier, but then again I don't really play RTS so it's xbox all the way.
    One word: Counterstrike

Look how popular the game has become even though technically it is a mod.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.