I have played the PC version - You should probably try the 360 version
    3.13%
    I have played neither but everyone says the 360 version is better
    0%
    I have played neither but everyone says the PC version is better
    18.75%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Lol yeah but come now, most serious PC gamers completely surpass all minimums, well and truly surpass them. I know this and I'm not even a PC gamer, nor do I know anything substantial about PCs
    Well I'm not looking to be a serious PC gamer, I have no intent on playing WoW, going on CounterStrike in an internet cafe or building my own computer.

It only takes a few years for a PC to go from speedy to being nearly mocked for the mere suggestion that I can play a current generation game (like here :p:). My performance question was more directed toward anyone who plays or has played it on a PC with similar specs to tell me how it'll run anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Well I'm not looking to be a serious PC gamer, I have no intent on playing WoW, going on CounterStrike in an internet cafe or building my own computer.

It only takes a few years for a PC to go from speedy to being nearly mocked for the mere suggestion that I can play a current generation game (like here :p:). My performance question was more directed toward anyone who plays or has played it on a PC with similar specs to tell me how it'll run anyway.
    Your PC should run Left4Dead on minimum graphical detail, just. It would obviously look somewhat worse than it would on 360, and for a game which draws so much from the atmosphere that it generates, your enjoyment could be somewhat compromised.
    It's worth noting that you could likely upgrade your graphics card for ~£40ish and get a significant performance increase; and might be worthwhile in the future if you were to consider getting another game, ever.

I'm surprised that noone has yet pointed out Valve's second-to-none attitude of after market support for their releases, and Left4Dead on PC has already recieved more than its fair share of patches and improvements which haven't made their way to the 360 version yet, and more have been strongly hinted at (the first to mention L4D2 gets an egg thrown at them).
    Someone earlier asked why someone would purchase The Orange Box for PC when the mods are so mundane? Having the source engine installed on your PC opens up so much more than adding the portal gun to Half Life 2: there are dozens of complete games which are "just" mods on top of the source engine, most of which are completely free. Some of them are even good! And that doesn't even begin to mention the absolutely ridiculous post-market work that's gone into Team Fortress 2...

OP: you should probably bear in mind that the 360 version is (I believe) much more popular simply because of the popularity of the respective platforms, and the results will be skewed in this way.
    Which version you should get should depend on whether you feel that the loss of graphical fidelity can compensate for the additional benefits inherit in the PC version, and also whether you prefer keyboard+mouse or gamepad control (though gamepad control is perfectly possible on the PC version).

ReputationRep:
    I admit, on a pc you can get graphics cards which will be around 6x as powerful as an Xbox 360 or Ps3, as theirs are from way back in 2005.

I have a 9800GT which I've heard is around 3 times faster than a Ps3 or xbox 360 graphics card.

Although saying that, I am still getting an xbox 360, it will arrive on Thursday actually :p: but mainly because of the experience you have on it and stuff. And the online more than anything. And I have to say I am really looking forward to it, I don't really know why though....

But yeah, unless you are getting a seriously huge upgrade, go with the xbox.

ReputationRep:
    Get it on whatever system your friends have it on.

I have played on both, my friends have 360s but not on PC.
    Game itself is better on PC, but overall experience is nowhere near as fun as with friends. That's what it is all about.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what L4D is really about: Multiplayer co-op. If you can't afford to beef up your rig, but you can afford Xbox Live, then go with the PS3. But if you have a reason to not go for the PC version, go for that. Just make sure either way YOU GET A HEADSET.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    you can afford Xbox Live, then go with the PS3. But if you have a reason to not go for the PC version, go for that.
    :p:

I think I get what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what L4D is really about: Multiplayer co-op. If you can't afford to beef up your rig, but you can afford Xbox Live, then go with the PS3. But if you have a reason to not go for the PC version, go for that. Just make sure either way YOU GET A HEADSET.
    This statement has left me entirely confused.

ReputationRep:
    Let me sum up what's wrong with Xbox Live

There's a new campaign coming out next month called "Crash Course". If you own the PC version, it's free.

If you own the 360 version, it's 560 points (about $7 I'm told?), because MS make Valve charge for it.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much an echo of Estel's post, personally I'd go with the PC version, though I've played neither.

Reasons:
    I like the keyboard and mouse setup a lot more than any console controller when it comes to FPS games.

My PC is a little dated now, but should be able to play the game easily with just a few changes of settings. While the 360 could have better graphics (though graphics rarely bother me in most games) I will at some point have a new gaming rig that would outperform the 360 version and just install the game on that.

Mods/updates: The user community of PC games (especially Valve/Source games) are very active, and there's always custom maps, models etc, that will be released for their games. There are also projects for entirely different games which you are allowed to download and play for free, as long as you have bought a source engine game; I've had a lot of fun with Goldeneye Source, and Insurgency. With updates Microsoft require the devs to charge for any new content; things that the PC version get for free.

Left4Dead II has been announced, and knowing Valve, there will be at least some cross-compatibility between the two, to avoid dividing the community/players. This will be harder, or maybe even impossible to implement on the 360 due to it's use of disks, and the requirements of the Xbox live service.

Uh, and the game is most likely cheaper on PC anyway.

These reasons may not apply to you, but that is the stuff I think about when comparing the 2 options.

(Original post by estel)
    This statement has left me entirely confused.
    Me too, I meant Xbox 360 :shifty:

Basiscally, whatever you go for, get a headset or it won't be fun. Unless you have 3 other friends that would play L4D with you.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a resounding win for the PC so...we shall see.

ReputationRep:
    Pc is miles better.
    However you WILL need to upgrade your graphics card if you want to play it at playable frames and decent/good quality.
    It's not a demanding game so a cheap graphic card (eg. geforce 9600 which is about £40) will do you fine.
    However, first make sure your motherboard will support it (you need to have a pci-e slot. If not it's time for a new pc coz that s***t is ancient.)
    Also you should have a decent power supply (min 400 or 450watt).
    If you do upgrade GET THE PC VERSION; IT ROCKS THE 360 AND PS HANDS DOWN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Modding and funny sounds? Seriously? As if the game isn't fun enough as is. What's the point seriously. I don't see why anyone would choose PC gaming over Xbox gaming. The people who usually do, are:

Sad hackers/modders that gets load of fun out of daft stuff when the game is fun enough as it is
    Because Valve (and many other companies) support their games post-release with lots of new content - which is free on the PC. But not on your toy box.
    A fine example of this is Team Fortress 2. There is probably a whole game's worth of extra content released so far. And we haven't had to pay a single penny.

Not to mention PC games are also vastly cheaper than their console counterparts.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.