Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Looking at university there, it seems nice and all, but if you type it into google there seems to be absolutely nothing of excitement, not even one lively pub, is this true?

People say that it is easy to go to Newcastle for nights out, but in reality how often do you go, or has it become too much effort?

This is not attack, I am just curious

ReputationRep:
    It's quite.

If you want a vibrant, lively night life then notts and manchester are best for students.

ReputationRep:
    Its quite but you do have quite busy night life google
    chase - on the river
    loveshack - in the walkergate complex - night club
    Lloyds - weatherspoons bar in durham
    Jimmy alans - seminight club
    Klute - not sure never been in seems to be a uni students hang out
    Yates - just been done up looks really nice
    Bar 19 - another club on north road
    Varsity- cheap drinks, cheap food great start to a night

I can think of a few more but you get the idea and i cant remember all the names. Basically yes durham does have nightlife but it isnt as lively as newcastle. The union often has events on which attract alot of students newcastle is only a short bus/ train ride away but i wouldnt no how often the students go for us locals about once a month.

ReputationRep:
    There are very few places as lively as Newcastle, it being one of the best places to go out in the country.

I'm someone who wants an active social life and stuff, and I wouldn't have chose to go to Durham if it was boring. If you're into bars, just apply to Cuth's. :-P

ReputationRep:
    It was described as beautiful but dull about four years ago There's some construction and redevelopment going on in these next ten years (within the university and outside). Some just to improve pedestrian access but I've also heard there's a new theatre being built. This may not be true and, besides, it won't be for another few years.

I mean, for a "cultured", historic and beautiful city there isn't even a decent theatre. There's the Gala, which has some plays as well as comedy nights and a small cinema.

There are a few pubs, few are particularly lively. Most are small, cosy and good for a quiet drink. I suppose Wetherspoons is one of your best bets for a large, busy pub. It's located on North Road, fairly local people dominated which some may prefer. The colleges all have their own bars, Cuth's is the best :yep: Colleges create a vibrant social life, based on pubs, society and sport. But in the city, it's not as great.

There was a branch of the Australian club, Walkabout, but that's closed down. I've heard they're actually turning that into an 02 Academy. If that's true then there should be a few gigs and club nights (largely rock and, I use the term loosely, "indie" ). I was quite suprised when I heard that, Durham doesn't seem large enough for an 02. It's not Newcastle, Birmingham or Manchester. Or even an Oxford.

There are few cities that can rival Newcastle, but I don't know anyone who goes there often. It can be expensive if you want to make it a weekly or bi weekly thing. Of course, once you get there you do have the best nightlife in the country. Getting back is probably the worst bit. To get there it's just 12 minutes on the train but getting back, with the last train being (11:30PM ish - it cerainly was) and then not a train for a few hours after that. But there is now a late night/early morning bus service on a weekend and it runs through the early hours. So you can still get the train to Newcastle on a Friday or Saturday night, have a night out in the Bigg Market or Quayside, then get the bus back at 1, 2, 3AM. That'll cost about £6 in total, so it'll probably only be a weekly thing at most.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright during term when you have lectures and work to be busy with.

In the time after exams though I nearly died of boredom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    The colleges all have their own bars, Cuth's is the best
    :O I thought VM was best bar none?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    :O I thought VM was best bar none?!
    Nah that's Chads :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, around the Uni it's generally accepted that Cuth's has the best bar, even by people at other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Cuth's has the best bar (certainly in terms of atmosphere). Always has and always will :yep: When JB opened they tried to market themselves as the best, just because they're the largest, but they're idiots :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    Looking at university there, it seems nice and all, but if you type it into google there seems to be absolutely nothing of excitement, not even one lively pub, is this true?

People say that it is easy to go to Newcastle for nights out, but in reality how often do you go, or has it become too much effort?

This is not attack, I am just curious
    17 college bars, plenty of pubs and a handful of clubs. You don't need to go to Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    VM bar is not the best. It's pokey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Yeah, Cuth's has the best bar (certainly in terms of atmosphere). Always has and always will :yep: When JB opened they tried to market themselves as the best, just because they're the largest, but they're idiots :p:
    wise words, JB's apparently was as big as a plane hangar (the problem was it felt like one too)

ReputationRep:
    Cuth's isn't that amazing. It's just big and on the bailey, that's why it's popular.

ReputationRep:
    with cheap drinks, awesome people and an even better atmosphere.....

ReputationRep:
    Back to the point...

I've lived in Durham for nearly 20 years and I love it. There's not a huuuuge load of good places to go on a night out, but I guess it's what you make it. Makes for a cheap night since you're not paying thru the nose to get into clubs and stuff too. It's a lovely lovely lovely city, it's intimate and you'll get to at least recognise someone anywhere you go. I think that makes it less boring that a big, maybe more vibrant city would be.

ReputationRep:
    VM is NOT one of the best college bars, it's one of the worst.

Cuth's is the best, and I'm not even in Cuths. Definitely in the summer. It's just a generally accepted fact.

As for the original post, Durham is not the most exciting place in the world. But I found there were more than enough pubs and bars, and then there's Newcastle as well obviously....

I love beer.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine for bars, but other sources of entertainment are, yes, severely lacking =)
    Oh and my vote for best college bar is Ustinov, which is well underrated =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobo3)
    Cuth's isn't that amazing. It's just big and on the bailey, that's why it's popular.
    I think it's to do with atmosphere and, if I'm correct, it's the only one that opens early - What's the point of a college bar if it's shut until 7PM? :-P

ReputationRep:
    Durham, of course, is a city. People often refer affectionately to a small city as a ‘town’ but, when the question is whether it is dull, it seems like another attempt to belittle it.

Anyway, Durham is a great little city. It is certainly no St Andrews in terms of being a student or golf city only. You can explore the woodland along the river, it has a modern theatre and restaurants, a few small museums and a few pubs (although not many).

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.