Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Durham, of course, is a city. People often refer affectionately to a small city as a ‘town’ but, when the question is whether it is dull, it seems like another attempt to belittle it.

Anyway, Durham is a great little city. It is certainly no St Andrews in terms of being a student or golf city only. You can explore the woodland along the river, it has a modern theatre and restaurants, a few small museums and a few pubs (although not many).
    Giving museums and restaurants as its key features doesn't make it sound very exciting. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Is there a good cinema?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NavalChicken)
    Is there a good cinema?
    If by 'good' you mean a cinema showing two different films a week then probably not. There are two screens on which they play two big name releases for a week at a time.

ReputationRep:
    The cinema is rubbish! Years ago, Durham had Robin's Cinema (where Walkabout used to be) and it was cheap and dirty but had a good selection of films and you could usually convince them to give you popcorn and sweets for free. Many of my afternoons skipping school were spent watching the new releases at Robin's. The Gala cinema is a joke and one of the good examples of how Durham is progressively making itself even less attractive as a city. They just can't do anything right. There is however a good cinema at Sunderland as well as Newcastle and the Metro (although I go to the one in Sunderland the most).

ReputationRep:
    Also, I have lived in Durham all my life. I was actually really looking forward to leaving for university somewhere else but a few reasons held me back, in addition to the fact that I did actually like the university most out of all those I visited.

As a student, you do experience a different Durham to that of a resident. However, it is undeniably dull and there is definitely emphasis on making your own fun. Walks by the river are all well and good but it pisses down with rain all year, the nightlife is woeful, there are no good shops, no real cinema. I know people will say "..but it's historic and pretty!". So is York and that is a far more interesting place to be and that's not at the expense of it's historic features.

Growing up, Durham was still dull but there was alot to do - the old swimming baths, the old cinema, the amazing Ice Rink and going to watch the Durham Wasps. And I hate to say it but Durham was a better night out before the Millenium Place turned up with it's awful Loveshack and it's hideous Lloyds.

ReputationRep:
    The Gates Shopping centre is shockingly bad. Just putting it out there =)

ReputationRep:
    They spend loads of money rebranding the old Milburngate (same building, different name) to The Gates but they didn't bother putting any thing there. There used to be a supermarket in there which was fairly decent but they moved it to accommodate the unsuccessful Waitrose. I don't see the point of it existing when the only decent thing in there is the pound shop and the milkshake/smoothie shop. They may as well smash it to bits (along with the rest of North Road) and put something decent there.

ReputationRep:
    haha this forum is a complete joke... so much c**p flying around...! i spent a couple of weeks there visiting mates last term and lots of what has been written above is completely untrue.

it has an extremely high student density leading to a real buzz about the place - nights out are student dominated with some clubs (klute) only letting students in creating a real 'everyone knows everyone' feel. the collegiate system really adds to this with college bar crawls (1.30 pints) standard prelash. from what i saw there are loads of pubs but some seemed to be a bit 'local' dominated. the clubs are obviously not on the leeds/ibiza scale but there was no shortage of choice with each place having at least one 'big night' a week.

there seems to be a lot of inverse snobbery on this site surrounding unis like bristol/durham/St A's .... obviously if you can't hack 'rahs' or public school people, then they're probably not the place for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhans121)
    haha this forum is a complete joke... so much c**p flying around...! i spent a couple of weeks there visiting mates last term and lots of what has been written above is completely untrue.

it has an extremely high student density leading to a real buzz about the place - nights out are student dominated with some clubs (klute) only letting students in creating a real 'everyone knows everyone' feel. the collegiate system really adds to this with college bar crawls (1.30 pints) standard prelash. from what i saw there are loads of pubs but some seemed to be a bit 'local' dominated. the clubs are obviously not on the leeds/ibiza scale but there was no shortage of choice with each place having at least one 'big night' a week.

there seems to be a lot of inverse snobbery on this site surrounding unis like bristol/durham/St A's .... obviously if you can't hack 'rahs' or public school people, then they're probably not the place for you.
    Having a few cheap bars is all fine and well, but - and I know this will sound really crazy!!! - what if you want to do something other than get ratarsed all the time? Durham being dull has precious little to do with Rahs - the problem lies with the fact there is very little to do outside of your actual universities extracurriculars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacy_T)
    Having a few cheap bars is all fine and well, but - and I know this will sound really crazy!!! - what if you want to do something other than get ratarsed all the time? Durham being dull has precious little to do with Rahs - the problem lies with the fact there is very little to do outside of your actual universities extracurriculars.

well what are you refering to? there seemed to plenty of shops a cinema theatre and newcastle 10 mins away. what other mysterious "activities" is a town supposed to have?

ReputationRep:
    well what are you refering to? there seemed to plenty of shops a cinema theatre and newcastle 10 mins away. what other mysterious "activities" is a town supposed to have?
    Plenty of rubbish shops.
    The cinema is dire. Really terrible.

And telling people to go to Newcastle is fine, but really, you may as well just apply to Newcastle Uni if you are going to end up spending lots of time there.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of rubbish shops.

And telling people to go to Newcastle is fine, but really, you may as well just apply to Newcastle Uni if you are going to end up spending lots of time there.
    Not if people's main priority isn't shops :p: I applied to Newcastle, and got an offer, but I chose Durham - And I'd rather be in a city like Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of rubbish shops.

Is that a joke?? its hard to tell....

ReputationRep:
    I don't chose a uni based solely on it's shopping/ cinema.

ReputationRep:
    For me, being 10-15 minutes' train ride from a massive city is amazing, I'm used to having to be driven to the station and then get 2 trains before I'm anywhere good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    For me, being 10-15 minutes' train ride from a massive city is amazing, I'm used to having to be driven to the station and then get 2 trains before I'm anywhere good!
    I agree, I am 15 mins on the train away from a city the size of durham. I had to do that every week day to get to school, for me it is nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a joke?? its hard to tell....

I wasn't being facetious. I just think that if you are going to spend all your time in Newcastle, it would make more sense to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsDave)
    Not if people's main priority isn't shops :p: I applied to Newcastle, and got an offer, but I chose Durham - And I'd rather be in a city like Newcastle.
    I'm not saying you would base your choice on the shopping facilities. I just think that if you are committing to living somewhere for three years, it's nice to actually have a life there, rather than being attached to your degree all of the time. I find Durham totally suffocating and at times unbearably boring.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's called different Universities being better for different people. Someone who needs to be in the middle of a city and not in the 'student bubble' shouldn't go to a small city or a campus university.

Personally I'm big on going out and social life, yet I'm not worried about it for when I go to Durham. I think it'll be fine.

The point about going to Newcastle Uni is a little redundant, it's not a top ten university.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it will be fine. I'm not saying it's horrific, I am just saying - in response to the original question posed - that yes, Durham is dull.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.