Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacy_T)
    I'm not saying you would base your choice on the shopping facilities. I just think that if you are committing to living somewhere for three years, it's nice to actually have a life there, rather than being attached to your degree all of the time. I find Durham totally suffocating and at times unbearably boring.
    maybe you should get a social life and then it would be ok?

my mates there couldn't give two hoots about their degree - but seem to have a sick time..

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read all of this thread so apologies if i repeat anything anyone has already said! There are enough pubs, restaurants, clubs, bars (and college bars!) to keep yourself busy. And there's the DSU on Fri and Sat which is quite popular. I found that you don't get bored because everyone goes out together and there are plenty of people you know to have fun with, also lots of people tend to do drinking games in college before heading out so there's fun to be had there, too. Altogether i wouldn't worry about it, you can go to Newcastle if you want to, i'd recommend it, but i wouldn't worry about being bored in Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicola1807)
    And there's the DSU on Fri and Sat which is quite popular.

I've heard there are going to be less Revolvers this year!! At first I didn't believe it but since the news about the shop closing turned out to be very true, I'm not sure anymore! Revolver is soooo much better than Hound

ReputationRep:
    I've heard there are going to be less Revolvers this year!! At first I didn't believe it but since the news about the shop closing turned out to be very true, I'm not sure anymore! Revolver is soooo much better than Hound
    :eek: The shop is closing!?! Nooo that's so convenient for sugar rushing to stay awake during lectures. I also prefer Revolver to Hound, i'm sad now

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if the Revolver thing is definitely true....but there is a thread about the shop in the current students forum!

ReputationRep:
    I really hope this isn't true :erm:

*goes off to search*

edit: "Every Saturday (term time) Is Revolver night 10pm-2am"
    phew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhans121)
    haha this forum is a complete joke... so much c**p flying around.
    It's crap, by the way and isn't in the swear filter (as you can see). But just a bit of advice, if you're going to swear then please type the whole word out. Even editing out half of it is techincally avoiding the filter. Don't think I'm telling you off here, it's just I don't actually want to see people warned and when they do (especially for what may seem like petty offences) they just winge.

Anyway, thanks for calling the opinion of someone who's been a student at Durham for five years crap :hat2:

it has an extremely high student density leading to a real buzz about the place - nights out are student dominated with some clubs (klute) only letting students in creating a real 'everyone knows everyone' feel.
    Klute is **** and for every student that loves it there are about three that hate it. It's small, cramped and worst of all plays crap music. It certainly isn't my idea of a good night out.

I don't think anyone has denied that vibrant student life and social scene that the university provides. I do think this makes up for the lack of things in the city. All I said was that outside the uni you don't really have a great deal. If the old Walkabout is going to be turned into an 02 Academy then that'll be great. One or two decent music venues and a decent theatre is all the city is really missing in my opinion. But then I'm not one for clubbing and prefer the quieter pubs (where you are fairly well catered for in Durham).

well what are you refering to? there seemed to plenty of shops a cinema theatre and newcastle 10 mins away. what other mysterious "activities" is a town supposed to have?
    For a city (even a small city) there's nothing like "plenty of shops". If you mean plenty of Tescos then yes.

There's a small HMV, there was a Music Zone but the company folded/was sold and the shop is now a ******* card shop. There's a Smiths, one independent music shop (if it's still open) and.....there's not really a great deal else. The shopping centres in the city (and one located just outside the city near Pity Me) are not very good. There's certainly nothing like a decent range.

It's probably just about enough, especially as there's things like online shopping and (as much as I hate mentioning it) the MetroCentre an hour or less on the bus and that's the largest in Europe although still **** in my opinion :p:

It doesn't have a dedicated cinema and this is my only real gripe with the city. That it proclaims itself as an attraction and city of not just history but also culture yet it doesn't have a proper theatre and dedicated cinema. The Gala has (one?) cinema screen. Enough for the major releases although times are limited. There can be decent comedy clubs and productions at the theatre.

As for Newcastle I'm not denying it isn't a great city. Consistantly ranks as having the best nightlife and student scene in the country. But you don't get people at Liverpool going, "well Manchester is 20 minutes away". Or even people at Bath going "well Bristol's 20 minutes away". We're referring to Durham itself and not another city in a completely different county miles away.

Is that a joke?? its hard to tell....
    Newcastle is still a damn good university. I know people who've chosen it over Durham/UCL/Bristol/Warwick for academic and social reasons.

(Original post by Aula)
    edit: "Every Saturday (term time) Is Revolver night 10pm-2am"
    phew
    Could just be they haven't updated the site yet :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Nope, 'cause it says that underneath the bit that says the first one is the 10th October, which I know is right 'cause it's my birthday :proud:

(I'm going to be 21 and ollld :erm: :p:)

ReputationRep:
    3rd October International Student Event
    5th October Freshers Fair
    6th October Freshers Fair
    7th October Freshers' Bop
    9th October Planet of Sound
    10th October Revolver
    11th October Poker Introduction
    13th October 70's/80's UV Roller Disco
    14th October Comedy Café
    15th October Silent Disco
    16th October Planet of Sound
    17th October Revolver
    18th October Poker
    19th October Karaoke
    21st October Freshers' Ball, Ramside Hall Hotel

ReputationRep:
    Woohooooo Revolver's still on
    River85 i totally agree with you about the cinema thing i think if they had a good odeon/VUE or something it would be nice, just so you have the OPTION of spontaneously seeing a film if you're bored on a Wednesday night, rather than having to plan the trip to Newcastle in advance. Would also be nice to have a wider range of films available within walking distance *sigh*.
    I think the shops just about cling on to a level of 'decency' but it's certainly not brilliant for shopping.

ReputationRep:
    It's crap, by the way and isn't in the swear filter (as you can see). But just a bit of advice, if you're going to swear then please type the whole word out. Even editing out half of it is techincally avoiding the filter. Don't think I'm telling you off here, it's just I don't actually want to see people warned and when they do (especially for what may seem like petty offences) they just winge.

Anyway, thanks for calling the opinion of someone who's been a student at Durham for five years crap :hat2:

Klute is **** and for every student that loves it there are about three that hate it. It's small, cramped and worst of all plays crap music. It certainly isn't my idea of a good night out.

I don't think anyone has denied that vibrant student life and social scene that the university provides. I do think this makes up for the lack of things in the city. All I said was that outside the uni you don't really have a great deal. If the old Walkabout is going to be turned into an 02 Academy then that'll be great. One or two decent music venues and a decent theatre is all the city is really missing in my opinion. But then I'm not one for clubbing and prefer the quieter pubs (where you are fairly well catered for in Durham).

For a city (even a small city) there's nothing like "plenty of shops". If you mean plenty of Tescos then yes.

There's a small HMV, there was a Music Zone but the company folded/was sold and the shop is now a ******* card shop. There's a Smiths, one independent music shop (if it's still open) and.....there's not really a great deal else. The shopping centres in the city (and one located just outside the city near Pity Me) are not very good. There's certainly nothing like a decent range.

It's probably just about enough, especially as there's things like online shopping and (as much as I hate mentioning it) the MetroCentre an hour or less on the bus and that's the largest in Europe although still **** in my opinion :p:

It doesn't have a dedicated cinema and this is my only real gripe with the city. That it proclaims itself as an attraction and city of not just history but also culture yet it doesn't have a proper theatre and dedicated cinema. The Gala has (one?) cinema screen. Enough for the major releases although times are limited. There can be decent comedy clubs and productions at the theatre.

As for Newcastle I'm not denying it isn't a great city. Consistantly ranks as having the best nightlife and student scene in the country. But you don't get people at Liverpool going, "well Manchester is 20 minutes away". Or even people at Bath going "well Bristol's 20 minutes away". We're referring to Durham itself and not another city in a completely different county miles away.

Newcastle is still a damn good university. I know people who've chosen it over Durham/UCL/Bristol/Warwick for academic and social reasons.

Excuse me mate, her friends go to Durham and she's visited them so I am pretty sure that she is probably right and you are probably quite wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me mate, her friends go to Durham and she's visited them so I am pretty sure that she is probably right and you are probably quite wrong!
    She? You mean he?

I know his friends are at Durham. I'm also at Durham.

I've been a student at Durham for five years and have lived in the region all my life (not that I can remember visiting Durham pre-2004 :p: )! I think I know it better than someone who's just visited.

I actually mentioned that in my last post so it's obvious I'm speaking from some position of knowledge and authority here. But really, it's all just opinion, I just found the statement about a good range of shops and the "cinema" a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    She? You mean he?

I know his friends are at Durham. I'm also at Durham.

I've been a student at Durham for five years and have lived in the region all my life (not that I can remember visiting Durham pre-2004 :p: )! I think I know it better than someone who's just visited.

I actually mentioned that in my last post so it's obvious I'm speaking from some position of knowledge and authority here. But really, it's all just opinion, I just found the statement about a good range of shops and the "cinema" a bit odd.

I know! I was being facetious. I know you've been here a while, I was just making fun of the fact that I've been hear 21 years and am apparently totally and completey wrong. Yet another doomed attempt at being witty, lol. Facepalm.

ReputationRep:
    I know! I was being facetious. I know you've been here a while, I was just making fun of the fact that I've been hear 21 years and am apparently totally and completey wrong.
    It's opinion. No one is right or wrong. Although someone who says that it has "plenty of shops" just needs to clarify what they mean by plenty as you have to admit, it's no better than adequate.

I don't think Durham is "dull". If I didn't like it I wouldn't be here. I've always said that it offers a greater balance than many other student cities offers and the lack of clubs doesn't really bother me, I'm more than happy with some time spent in a college bar or pub, but I just felt some people were really exaggerating.

And to use Klute, voted the second worst nightclub in Europe ten years ago and somewhere that's hated by more students than love it, as an example of a good place to have a night out was a bit strange. If you like cheesy crap yeah but for a serious music lover there aren't any really good clubs or music venues (hopefully, if we do get an 02, this will help solve it). But I can forgive the city for that. It is a small, historical city after all so will never have a good range. What I do find quite shocking is the lack of a "real" theatre and cinema.

ReputationRep:
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread though, York is a historical city and it's so much better than Durham! Yes, as you say, it's horses for courses. But there is so much more in York than Durham. I know that York is obviously bigger, but with some decent management, surely they could cull some of the **** in Durham and replace it with something better. And yeah, Durham is full of povs who just want to eat Dynesty buffets and shop in Poundland, but I reckon some of them would welcome improvements also.

ReputationRep:
    I much prefer York to Durham. I wouldn't say that Durham is dull given its size - you can't expect a big-city nightlife in an ickle city.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.