Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone fluent in Afrikaans on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CmFKj_Y08

Okay I didn't get the youtube vid to play on here, so here is the link. I find it hilarious XD
    If you only knew what he sang XD lmao :woo:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My mother is. Never taught it to me a child, though. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I wish, just came back for South Africa, loved the language. I could understand patches of it 'cause of German but would love to be fluent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    My mother is. Never taught it to me a child, though. :bawling:
    aw shame, BUT you are never too old to learn something new! :P :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deutsch_Beth)
    I wish, just came back for South Africa, loved the language. I could understand patches of it 'cause of German but would love to be fluent.
    hm that's interesting! I am fluent in Dutch myself and understand Afrikaans pretty well I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    hm that's interesting! I am fluent in Dutch myself and understand Afrikaans pretty well I think
    Yeah it was pretty cool, I didnt expect it at all. I hear Dutch and Afrikaans are reaaaly similar though, right?

ReputationRep:
    For some reason a lot of teachers in my school were South African one tempt teacher taught me

"hoe yoe back" and "blastil"... excuse me for not actually writing it properly... haha

ReputationRep:
    Teehee we learnt "Ombascof da maisie" which means rude little girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deutsch_Beth)
    Yeah it was pretty cool, I didnt expect it at all. I hear Dutch and Afrikaans are reaaaly similar though, right?
    yes, I can communicate with someone who speaks Afrikaans fairly easy actually, sure there are certain words that are completely different but that wouldn't matter that much if you understand the context of the conversation. Now, Afrikaans did derive from Dutch..

Afrikaans sounds funny to a lot of Dutch people as the words they sometimes use do make sense but just sound really funny. It's difficult to give examples really but I hope you get my point

ReputationRep:
    No, wish I did.
    I lived in south Africa for a few years when I was young but I didn't pick up any. All the people I hugn around with pretty much spoke English.

Although I did come back to the UK with a strong South accent.

ReputationRep:
    These are the lyrics:

Hoender song
    Hoender
    So nader aan die huis..
    Ryk ek daai lekker vleis
    ahoelala(x2)
    Tamaties en uiwe, gee die pot 'n lekker flavour
    Ahoelala(x2)
    'n Hoender wat nie kekkel nie
    se eiers smaak nie lekker nie
    Ahoelala(x2)
    Ahoelala(x2)
    'n Slangetjie wat nie syl nie
    se magie word nie vuil nie
    'n Parratjie wat nie kwaak nie
    se bekkie word nie vaak nie
    Koor:
    Jy bly verniet
    jy was verniet
    jy eet verniet
    gebakte eiers
    skrabeld eiers
    Koor:

I'm Dutch, so here's the beginning of it translated. I do have to warn you that it's all nonesense:

Chicken
    So close to home
    Do I smell good meat?
    Tomatoes and unions give the dish a good flavour
    Ahoelala (x2)
    A chicken that doesn't cackle
    Its eggs don't taste good
    Ahoelala (x2)
    A chicken that doesn't cackle
    Its eggs don't taste good
    Ahoelala (x2)

etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO that video is hilarious. I lived in South Africa until 2001 but I didn't even try to pick it up; most families are bilingual (well, to some degree), and they have TV soaps with dialogue in both languages, so unless you understand both you'll have trouble getting the jist of the story!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lɪŋgwɪst)
    LMAO that video is hilarious. I lived in South Africa until 2001 but I didn't even try to pick it up; most families are bilingual (well, to some degree), and they have TV soaps with dialogue in both languages, so unless you understand both you'll have trouble getting the jist of the story!

Yeah most people who speak Afrikaans also speak English so it's often not needed when you get there, as it is just easier to speak English as well.

Thanks for the lyrics btw Claudia ! :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I speak Afrikaans and that song was hilarious.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.