Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fake "novelty" id's in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well basically... I was stopped by the police a couple of days ago (me and a couple of my friends) and they could smell weed so they stopped us and searched us. After searching us the officer saw my id and asked what it was. I told him it was my novelty id and the guy told me that he could have me nicked for this. He was one of those ar*****es which seem to hate on everyone and probably had their wife leave them and he took my id. I told him that this id was perfectly legal and i just have it on me as a joke. At this point he was getting a bit :mad: and seemed like he wanted to punch me or something so i just left it at that.

What i want to know is are the police allowed to take your id off you? I mean the law says it's perfectly legal as long as it isn't used under any false pretences and i had already given him my real name and adress before he came across the id.

sorry for the long post but i just need to know so that if i get another i can tell them to bugger off. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I agree unless you actually try to use it then you cant be prosecuted. The policeman was probably assumign you were goin to be using it in the future which is wrong but is what people normally do with it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is but i thought the only way u could get busted is if you actually get caught USING it.... anyway the guy just said he could arrest me on the spot (which was quite obviously b*******t but he really wanted to catch us lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IJI147)
    yeah it is but i thought the only way u could get busted is if you actually get caught USING it.... anyway the guy just said he could arrest me on the spot (which was quite obviously b*******t but he really wanted to catch us lol
    Out of interest do you use it for novelty or for false ID? From the ones I've seen you'd only be able to get away with it at a corner shop or such like as they don't look much like the real thing at all !

ReputationRep:
    well it's really old (like nearly a year) with no hologram and the pic is pretty bad
    but yeah get away almost anywhere
    it looks fake but no1 givs a s*** as long as its "id"
    regardless i dont think they had any "real" justification to take it hence the post

ReputationRep:
    just get a provisional driving license/international student ID card. also, the police stopped you because you smelt of weed ?

ReputationRep:
    The id was for me to buy cigs/drinks obviously so my age on that was 18 when i got it, it now says i'm 19. So gettin a student id card proving im underage will not be helpful at all. also, the police smelling weed was because we were smoking in the park and they said they could smell it all the way down the road...

ReputationRep:
    He was probably just pissed he couldn't find any weed on you to bust you for. The ID only is illegal if you try and use it to falsify your age, but why else you you be carrying it with you. Sounds like he was in a bad mood.

ReputationRep:
    He was preventing you from using it, nothing wrong with that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.