Turn on thread page Beta

Landlord confusing me over "arrears" advice please(very long) watch

    • Thread Starter

    Ok I moved to a flat June 1st this year, problem is that because I am getting housing benefits the landlord wants £30 a week of the £90 in advance and when the housing benefit cheque arrives to pay off the arrears for the month.

    Problem with this is he has worked it out as getting paid every 4 weeks on a Monday therefore wants £270 on the 4th week.

    So far though he has realised his mistake and just takes £30 a week then the rest when the cheque arrives.

    Last month I paid £300 instead of the £270 I expected(so was in debt with myself before I even had cash to spend i.e even when getting the rent payment in it didnt cover what he wanted by £30

    So this months payment is due and he wants £300 at 9am today(Monday) when according to my records with all the £30's I have paid, the £90 first week in advance and the £300 I paid last month to pay up to the 3rd of August I owe £180 exactly(since I never gave him £30 Friday as was away) so that would mean I would be £120 in credit meaning I wouldnt have to give £30 again for 4 weeks but he told me I need to pay £30 this coming friday and my £30 arrears from last week.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.