Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    found out i need more points than i thought, just wondered if anyones ever got in with less ucas points than they've needed??

cheers, rob

x

ReputationRep:
    im interested to find out too

ReputationRep:
    depends on the uni and if they have the space to take you, i know with my uni, that a lot of people got in on grades lower then their offers(points)

ring or email and ask

or wait till results day

ReputationRep:
    why not just ringing them tomorrow?
    asking such question won't answer your question because everyone would just be guessing in the end.. it's not up to us to decide that. Ring them tomorrow and find out.. the uni itself is the only one who can tell..

ReputationRep:
    Depends on course and demand for it. I think portsmouth uni itself is quite lenient but maybe 40 points is pushing it.

ReputationRep:
    Ring them and ask it depends on the uni plus the course

Ie i missed my medicine offer of AAA including an A in chem i got a B so near miss but know way was i still getting in.

My course Biomedical science average offer was around 280ucas point i know a few people who got in with alot less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Ring them and ask it depends on the uni plus the course

Ie i missed my medicine offer of AAA including an A in chem i got a B so near miss but know way was i still getting in.

My course Biomedical science average offer was around 280ucas point i know a few people who got in with alot less.

how less roughly? missed by 20, 40, 60 points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    how less roughly? missed by 20, 40, 60 points?
    Bear in mind sunderland is a poor university the max i know off is 60points in clearing CDE was enough to secure a place

ReputationRep:
    hai

i reckon it might be okay but it always depends on the course

ReputationRep:
    Depends on uni, course, year, course administrator, whether they like your personal statement etc etc.

Lots of factors. No one really knows. Nothing you can do about it until you find out your results either.

ReputationRep:
    i was 80 short and portsmouth let me in on a masters course

ReputationRep:
    a real good personal statemnt may swing a bit of leniancy

ReputationRep:
    I had to get 300! I only got 240. But my personal statement took months of hard work! Plus I had loads of good work experience. Printed articles, printed film reviews. Media work experience with the Police and the Army. Also working for the media office in a Crown Court doing the media releases to the local papers.

I knew I wouldnt hit 300! I could if I worked for it... But I cant study, at all. So I thought if I did as much work experience I could it would benefit it majorly. I got a B in English (2 poiiiinnts of an A arghhhhh!) so with the B in English and plenty of work experience + a BOO SHANK personal statement secured my place

ReputationRep:
    portsmouth seems to have been a rather leniant university this year as it's quite modern and therefore is trying to consistently fill all of their courses, not to worry if you didn't hit all your grades though dude as clearing offers a hell of a lot of opportunities to either find a similar course or a different one at your desired university, just act fast after discovering your results and beat the rush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveKirkham)
    portsmouth seems to have been a rather leniant university this year as it's quite modern and therefore is trying to consistently fill all of their courses, not to worry if you didn't hit all your grades though dude as clearing offers a hell of a lot of opportunities to either find a similar course or a different one at your desired university, just act fast after discovering your results and beat the rush
    you do know clearing is over and alot of uni have started back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    you do know clearing is over and alot of uni have started back!
    my advice wasn't for this year lol :X i know full well, i start on saturday haha

ReputationRep:
    my advice wasn't for this year lol :X i know full well, i start on saturday haha
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    portsmouth seems to have been a rather leniant university this year as it's quite modern and therefore is trying to consistently fill all of their courses
    I don't think you can really say that, especially if you're not even at the university!

So you have spoken to a few people who have been let in, it doesn't make it a universal rule. The uni will take people on if they think they have the potential to deliver, and you are a good candidate for the university i.e. you haven't *quite* met the grades but you have relevant work experience.

I know on my course there were plenty of people who didn't get the grades and (also) didn't get on the course because they had no experience/ decent personal statement.

To say the uni will let anyone in is a bit wrong - if it is a popular course then they have less room for flexibility.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Portsmouth has had more apps this year than ever - the most popular courses (inc law!) fill up in no time.
    It depends really on what kind of course, how good your personal statement is, and the number of applicants. You might get away with being a grade under what you needed, you might not. It all depends on circumstances.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Portsmouth
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.