Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any of you people joined

Whats the point?
    Are people already getting to know prospective uni colleagues

I do have one friend who got talking to a girl last year,he ended up meeting up with her in freshers week and having some fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisstassen)
    Any of you people joined

Whats the point?

I do have one friend who got talking to a girl last year,he ended up meeting up with her in freshers week and having some fun
    Question answered. End of thread.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I didn't join my one until I'd actually got my grades, for fear of jinxing everything (in retrospect, this was a good decision! ). The guy who set it up ended up as my next door neighbour!

I joined it to try and suss out who the other people doing my subject were. Except they didn't bother joining :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i met my best friend through one of these groups

ReputationRep:
    i havnt joined yet just incase i dont get in - but as soon as i get my grades i probably will - i suppose you can get to know a few people on your course/in your college/hall etc - so when you get there you allready know one or two people - makes it less scary i think

ReputationRep:
    You can end up meeting people on the same course or living in the same halls as you, and this gives you a chance to try and get to 'know each other' so it's not so new and awkward before you get there and you already know a familiar face?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    i havnt joined yet just incase i dont get in - but as soon as i get my grades i probably will - i suppose you can get to know a few people on your course/in your college/hall etc - so when you get there you allready know one or two people - makes it less scary i think
    This exactly.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I've joined, and people from the groups add me and then when I see the FR's i ignore them cos i don't know the person, then later think, oh maybe they were someone from bristol. post exam results i might start accepting a few FR, but I generally wouldn't unless I already knew them first!

and tbh, I already know enough people going to the same uni with me (about 7) and to be honest am not fussed about getting to know people before hand! I'd rather get to know people when I get there. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Having an unconditional offer, I have joined 2 freshers groups!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god.
    Please don't tell me that English students meet @facebook!

AHH ITS SPREADING facebook myspace twitter I am so sick of it. v_v''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisstassen)
    Any of you people joined

Whats the point?

I know LOADS of people going to my uni. Facebook and TSR are life savers! I've even got talking to my room mates and course buddies!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional offer so i joined a freshers group! FREDDIE MERCURY RULES!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm part of one but don't really go on it, I'd rather make friends when I start instead of some e-buddies before hand. Seems to kinda defy the point of moving away etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobaline)
    Unconditional offer so i joined a freshers group! FREDDIE MERCURY RULES!!!!
    Damn right.

And yeah it's nice to get chatting to a few people before you go.

ReputationRep:
    This is assuming that every course has its own facebook group.

ReputationRep:
    Most people add me and say nothing, pretty pointless. I have formed quite a good friendship with one girl, though.

ReputationRep:
    i don't see the issue, its a good way to sort of meet people before uni, get info on the uni, maybe lucky to start talking to a flat mate before you move in

plus SU will post info about freshers week and stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    It's very handy. I have joined my Uni's fresher group and it's been great. I know who's living next to me and who's in my flat and everything. It's brilliant, when I move in in September I won't not know anyone so we can just get talking and stuff. It's gonna be great.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.