Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You're infertile: how would you react? Watch

ReputationRep:
    im not sure hw clear the doctor was with you, but only a small number of cases get infertile.

1 in 7 men get this, and a smaller number get infertile, youd probably get hit by a car greater chance the infertile. Just hope your fears rest.dont worry.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told I might be infertile due to a reoccuring health problem, I would be absolutely gutted if the time came for kids and I couldn't have them, especially since I know how my boyfriend wants them. I don't think I would consider adoption but then again I might feel differently if it becomes a certainty that I can't have children.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would be devastated. Being 19, one of the things I would treasure most in later life would be to have kids and all the good and tough times it would bring.

ReputationRep:
    :banana: :woo: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! :woo: :banana:

(I hope that sounded sarcastic)

What do you think. I would be bloody upset.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd be surprised as the tests about four years ago didn't throw up anything, and two kids later (the first through IVF) obviously nothing is wrong enough to prevent the occurrence of sprogs.

As an aside reading that link gubbinz it 'might' explain why one of my balls has as far as I remember always been smaller than the other. So perhaps I've had/got this when I was what, eleven, twelve or something and it inhibited its growth.

Also as an aside and a word of warning to the girls/women out there. Unless the guy you're sleeping with has been cleared of any STD's, you really do need to insist on using a condom, and we're not just talking about the big scary 'gonna kill 'yer eventually' HIV/AIDS. Our neighbours have been trying to have kids for ages, even went to the same IVF clinic as us. Because it turned out that she had chlamydia at some point, her ovarian tubes are blocked, so it makes conceiving naturally a virtual impossibility. Likewise it turns out she has a 'hostile womb', so any fertilised embryo's just don't last past 9 weeks. This has been the biggest problem, and it's an as yet not fully understood problem (things may have changed in four years though), but may or may not be linked to a cavalier attitude towards safe sex in earlier life...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry that's happened to you OP. But there are options like IVF and adoption, conceiving naturally isn't the only way to have kids.

I for one wouldn't be upset if I found out I was infertile. Less worry about getting pregnant by accident and I'm not really that keen on having children anyway. Besides I'd rather adopt anyway.

I'd be gutted.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I could never adopt or use a sperm doner. The idea of raising someone elses child is really disturbing to me - I want him / her to look like me, having some of my genetic personality traits... not some student who tossed in a cup for cash.
    I feel exactly the same, but I'd do it if it made my partner happy. Also it might grow on me.

ReputationRep:
    I would be disappointed, it's completely natural to want kids someday. But adoption is something that's been in the back of my mind for a long time. So if the time came and I wasn't able to conceive then I would look more seriously into adoption.

ReputationRep:
    Id be happy. I dont want children and the idea of pregnancy frightens me alot.. ive been thinking about sterilization. so yeah.. id be happy!

ReputationRep:
    But you're fertile now? Why not freeze your sperm?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be depressed. My ejaculations will feel as though something's missing, and ofcourse that would be sperm. I'm curious as to how you found this out though? I'd like to get checked.... never know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    Well I get what you mean to an extent.
    Do you know if it is possible for you to freeze your good sperm now and use it for the future?
    ...Test Tube Babies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pitchayak)
    ...Test Tube Babies?

erm..no..exactly
    Men can freeze their own sperm so that if they want to have children in the future all they need to do is unfreeze them and inject into their wives/partners or get their wives/partners eggs and create embryos.

Its like freezing eggs

Since my abortion I have always been scared that it might affect my future fertility. I don't know why but I think it is harder for a woman to deal with being infertile as having children is the largest part of being a woman.
    i have exactly the same fear - it does worry be a lot, but at the same time i never really wanted to have children. the fact that i couldnt even if i wanted to would bum me out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.