Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Oh you mean like that japanese woman crushing a cat with her heels?
    Not sure if i've seen the vid you are referring to, but the website had videos where one women killed a guinea pig and then used her shoes to spread it over the floor, and another where a person strangled a dog to death and then mutilated it. Then in another section you could order specific things what you wanted done, and they'd make it for you. Complete bunch of psychos, and they deserved having their website bombarded off the internet.

(Original post by fire2burn)
    Not sure if i've seen the vid you are referring to, but the website had videos where one women killed a guinea pig and then used her shoes to spread it over the floor, and another where a person strangled a dog to death and then mutilated it. Then in another section you could order specific things what you wanted done, and they'd make it for you. Complete bunch of psychos, and they deserved having their website bombarded off the internet.
    Wooow.

What's more depressing is that there were people willing to purchase that stuff, supply and demand and all.

ReputationRep:
    Wooow.

What's more depressing is that there were people willing to purchase that stuff, supply and demand and all.
    That's why their customer lists were obtained and handed to the police so they could investigate if they were partaking in animal cruelty themselves :yes:

That's why their customer lists were obtained and handed to the police so they could investigate if they were partaking in animal cruelty themselves :yes:
    Oh that's good :yep:

I don't really care about animals much to be honest; sure, animal cruelty is wrong and it annoys me, but i get annoyed by so many other things that focussing on this would be like making sure my kid got all his vitamins while one in africa died of diarrhoeah.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick just reading that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's good :yep:

I don't really care about animals much to be honest; sure, animal cruelty is wrong and it annoys me, but i get annoyed by so many other things that focussing on this would be like making sure my kid got all his vitamins while one in africa died of diarrhoeah.
    Animal cruelty is a concern because of the link between those who are cruel to animals at an early age and during teens/early adulthood and the potential to cause harm to humans later in life. I can't really be bothered to drag up all the internet links but they're easy enough to find in google and your university library psychology section on the strong links between cruelty to animals and the causing harm to humans. It can alert police to sadistic tendencies in people who may otherwise slip under the radar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Stupid scenario, because it would never happen.
    And I didn't say they were the number one thing at the top of my list.
    Animal, or human, I'd say torture was worse than rape, but I've never been raped, I'm sure a rape victim would disagree. Save a child's life or an animal's life, I'd save the child. Save an adult's life or an animal's life...frankly, I'm not sure.
    Your logic is silly.

An adult is just as saveable as a child - why you would save one and not the other is slightly absurd.

Animal cruelty is a concern because of the link between those who are cruel to animals at an early age and during teens/early adulthood and the potential to cause harm to humans later in life. I can't really be bothered to drag up all the internet links but they're easy enough to find in google and your university library psychology section on the strong links between cruelty to animals and the causing harm to humans. It can alert police to sadistic tendencies in people who may otherwise slip under the radar.
    Right, i hadn't considered that, but i don't really considers animals to have an intrinsic value mmfraid :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Meh. I disagree. And I'm far too tired to explain why. But yeah, read up on the Taliban, the Iraq war (because of oil) and Guantanamo Bay, to get you started. We just find less obvious ways of being evil, is all.
    Do you think there was less evil say 700 years ago?

There is a trend that people who are ruthless and emotionally cold are the people who get into power. I'm not saying this is the way it should be but it's how it is. Some of these people abuse their power and are corrupted and things go wrong, but many are genuinely trying to do their best to right the wrongs of the world.

a few hundred years ago there was slavery, oppression of women, more violence on the streets, more premature deaths (relatively obviously), people who suffered were left to rot whereas now they are helped. There are hundreds of things which are better now.

I personally think you're getting confused between the amount of horiffic things going on and the amount of horiffic things you've seen when you say humans are getting worse. Read up on the inquisition and the way jews were treated in the last few hundred years, not just the holocaust.

If you want to talk about nature then think about this: The equilibrium state of nature is that of starvation, death, killing and fighting for survival. If there is ever a surplus of food, the population increases to match it and the order is soon sent back to starvation and killing. Humans have animal instincts to survive and our intelligence helps us override the natural way of starvation and so much killing. It is precisely because people used animals for farming and hard work to increase production and the economy that humans are now in a place where it is possible to live as a vegitarian. That doesn't mean we should and it isn't the 'smart choice'. Humans prefer to kill and eat animals because they feel almost a kind of patriotism towards fellow humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
    I just watched:

The Dagestan Massacre.

Two bunnies being crushed by some woman. Real slowly, the second one nearly brought me to tears cause of the squeeling.

A dog being burnt alive and its neck crushed by some lady.

I don't like people.
    I lost faith in humanity a long time ago. I pursue a life of hedonism now - it's just nice that pleasure for me is this warm feeling i get from helping others.

I've seen the first one some time ago and was slightly indifferent about the whole thing.

I've not seen the bunnies being crushed or the dog being burnt alive one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)
    I feel sick just reading that.
    The sad thing is there's much worse stuff than that going on too

But alas apathy is not the option to be taking, gotta hit em' head on and get them to pay for their crimes where possible :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    Doesn't surprise what religion they belong to.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    While I agree, I doubt the majority of people who are concerned with the rights and welfare of animals do so because they fear a human might be raped or killed in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    While I agree, I doubt the majority of people who are concerned with the rights and welfare of animals do so because they fear a human might be raped or killed in the future.
    Just because you support the welfare/rights of an animal, does not mean you have to hold it on a pedestal above humans. You can easily have concern for both. If I saw teenagers kicking a cat around or something too right I'd report it to the police, one for the sake of the cat and two if they're capable of that they're probably easily capable of harming a person. Many of the animal rights activists I know also partake in human rights stuff for Amnesty, Shelter and Oxfam. I don't hold one campaign above another, anything that reduces the cruelty and suffering in the world even by just a little bit is a good thing IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you support the welfare/rights of an animal, does not mean you have to hold it on a pedestal above humans. You can easily have concern for both. If I saw teenagers kicking a cat around or something too right I'd report it to the police, one for the sake of the cat and two if they're capable of that they're probably easily capable of harming a person. Many of the animal rights activists I know also partake in human rights stuff for Amnesty, Shelter and Oxfam. I don't hold one campaign above another, anything that reduces the cruelty and suffering in the world even by just a little bit is a good thing IMO.
    While I agree again, that you can have concerns for both, and you apparently do, I still don't believe that MOST OF the people who fight for animal rights do so because they fear the humans who harm animals may turn into rapists/murderers.
    If they did, they would do more to support communities and provide role models for young people. There's no point reporting a kid for harming an animal because he's more likely to turn into a serial killer, he already got the feel for harming. There are ways to get to kids before they get the feel for harming, which would be better in the long run than just stopping the crime as it happens.
    Amnesty, Shelter and Oxfam have nothing to do with this type of thing. It seems to be more about protecting the vulnerable rather than helping those who cause the harm, which is the stand point I suspect many animal activists to be coming from. Which leads me to suspect that they have the animal's interest at heart, not the potential murder victim.
    I believe an animal activist is more likely to follow up on the welfare of an animal they saw getting tortured than the kids dragged away for torturing it.

ReputationRep:
    dagestan massacre being?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    dagestan massacre being?
    if we link to it the thread will likely be deleted. google is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
    if we link to it the thread will likely be deleted. google is your friend.
    i googled before i asked but couldn't find anything lol. I did however find a forum which said something about a beheading, i'm guessing this is a beheading video?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    While I agree again, that you can have concerns for both, and you apparently do, I still don't believe that MOST OF the people who fight for animal rights do so because they fear the humans who harm animals may turn into rapists/murderers.
    If they did, they would do more to support communities and provide role models for young people. There's no point reporting a kid for harming an animal because he's more likely to turn into a serial killer, he already got the feel for harming. There are ways to get to kids before they get the feel for harming, which would be better in the long run than just stopping the crime as it happens.
    Amnesty, Shelter and Oxfam have nothing to do with this type of thing. It seems to be more about protecting the vulnerable rather than helping those who cause the harm, which is the stand point I suspect many animal activists to be coming from. Which leads me to suspect that they have the animal's interest at heart, not the potential murder victim.
    I believe an animal activist is more likely to follow up on the welfare of an animal they saw getting tortured than the kids dragged away for torturing it.
    The majority of people are guilty of supporting the vulnerable more than those that cause the harm. You say someone is more likely to have the animals interest at heart, than the person arrested. Look at people that kill children, if you follow up on the abusers welfare you'd get eaten alive by the general public who say do the crime do the time. If you expressed any concern what so ever behind the intentions of Ian Huntley's actions, you'd no doubt get bricks through the window and the a few disgruntled middle class daily mail readers outside your house.

Whilst it's an unfortunate problem in our society that people inevitably support the victim without delving into the past of the accused I'd hazard a guess that this is due to being blinded by anger at that persons actions rather than an actual disregard for what caused them to behave in that way. It's one of the many problems that we have to deal with, but alas we can make progress in these areas.

ReputationRep:
    I put cruelty against humans higher than animals. I dont think animal cruelty is right, i think any crime where its one type of social group against another (ie male on female crime or human on animal crime) is wrong, but I would sooner give money to a human charity (ie a rape crisis centre) and campaign for them, than I would for a animal charity.

Answer to everything - Lock them up. Sentencing in this countries a joke.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.