The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Msc Arab World Studies (with intensive Arabic)

Hey,

I cannot decide whether to proceed with pursuing this course. I'm a History/Sociology '09 graduate and modern Arab world is a major area of my interest. I'm fluent in several languages so another language-oriented qualification is certainly a plus.

However, I'm afraid I might be deluded with all the marketing material. It's a two-year course and I'll be 25 when I graduate; I've no idea whether I'll be any more marketable with that particular postgraduate qualification. Does anyone know how well it is regarded among the employers? See, I've always intended to invest into something more career-focused and vocational after I'm done with my BA (I've arranged to read a law conversion course and obtained a place on a film production scheme). Crucial moment. Do you see my concerns? :o:
Reply 1
Hmm. I'm not sure about this particular course, or your career ambitions. That said - arabic speakers and arabic cultural experts are, at the minute, very much in-demand.

Careers can range from local and global government (from the British government to the European Union to the United nations), to intelligence and enforcement (MI6 language unit is always recruiting), and non-profit organisations are always an option, especially with knowledge of language and culture.

To be honest, there are so many possibilites that it's impossible to list them all. If you're interested, then I'd say go for it - because at the end of the day, linguists and cultural experts will -always- have a job within a great number of sectors!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
What about a Law degree with a language combined?

Latest

Trending

Trending