Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Go to Vegas. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Lol if I had to wait for my dad to pay I wouldn't get married until I was menopausal, bless his little cotton socks...

ReputationRep:
    My parents have told me they aren't going to pay for my wedding, but will pay part of it. And yes I'm western culture :p:

I think its more modern now-a-days for couples to fund their own wedding actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I believe that harks back to when fathers would literally pay to get rid of their daughters lol. Whereas in Asian culture women are valued higher so the mans family pays.
    :eyebrow: Seriously? You mean the asia the continent? The same continent that abandons or kills babies that are female?
    Cos the Asia I know highly values men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Err is that right? Kinda conflicts with the extremely high levels of Female deselection in Asian cultures.
    I am pretty sure they are seen as valuable property, especially in India, I hear if they're really fit they are worth 2 cows and a car battery!!!!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    Seriously? You mean the asia the continent? The same continent that abandons or kills babies that are female?
    Cos the Asia I know highly values men
    The female killing thing is generally only in China, and has only been happening for 50 years. I'm pretty sure that they always have been seen as a prized asset, perhaps even more so seeing as the majority of them get thrown in a skip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    The female killing thing is generally only in China, and has only been happening for 50 years. I'm pretty sure that they always have been seen as a prized asset, perhaps even more so seeing as the majority of them get thrown in a skip.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-sel...anticide#India

ReputationRep:
    strawberry is japanese anyway(?)

ReputationRep:
    Er, stop being so scabby and pay for your wedding yourself? I don't see why people think it's perfectly acceptable for their parents to pay thousands for one day. If you want to do it, do it yourself, and remember you don't need to spend a stupid amount of money too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    it's kinda weird isn't it? that the cultures have different sides pay for the ceremony ... what a pain. Because both sides are stubborn.
    Wow, just shows how different cultures see things! Is this a general Asian thing or is it limited to just some/one Asian group?

In my eyes, whoever wants to pay for the wedding should. If it was me, I'd feel that seeing as it is me and my partner that are getting married, we should pay for it - it's not a choice our parents made, if that makes sense?

I know that my family couldn't afford to pay for my wedding anyway and to be honest I wouldn't expect them to because I would want to have the wedding I want... not cut down costs so that I don't feel guilty for the person who's paying for it! - Because I honestly would feel guilty!

So yeh I'd accept any help/donations/favours but I would be prepared for me and my partner to pay for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Er, stop being so scabby and pay for your wedding yourself? I don't see why people think it's perfectly acceptable for their parents to pay thousands for one day. If you want to do it, do it yourself, and remember you don't need to spend a stupid amount of money too.
    LOL at you writing scabby... really made me giggle - I don't know why.

I agree though (see my post), if you want a wedding and nobody else wants to pay for it then pay for your own! If others are prepared to pay, great! But I certainly would not expect to have it paid for us.

ReputationRep:
    They could pay for their own wedding and stop sponging off their parents! Or, not get married. Or have a small cheap wedding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    LOL at you writing scabby... really made me giggle - I don't know why.

I agree though (see my post), if you want a wedding and nobody else wants to pay for it then pay for your own! If others are prepared to pay, great! But I certainly would not expect to have it paid for us.
    Haha, it's just one of those fabulous Welsh things

ReputationRep:
    I dont see any figures? Obviously some do it, but not many, because if they did India wouldn't be growing at the massive rate they are at the moment, 3 billion by 2020!!

ReputationRep:
    50/50

or you both end up paying!

I doubt my parents would expect to pay for my wedding nor expect the groom's family to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Pay it ourselves. Why should our parents feel any obligation to contribute to what is essentially our party? And weddings cost a bomb, I'm not going to ask either of my parents for anything.

ReputationRep:
    If they're getting married you'd think they'd both pay if they're both wanting to be together, instead of arguing over a controversial matter. *shrugs* Love>money?

ReputationRep:
    just for the record, the wedding's not actually happening lawl. it's a tradition/custom in the culture that the bride's family or groom's family pay ... but whatever, the bride and groom paying for their own wedding is obviously it.

ReputationRep:
    Go Dutch, half and half.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is simple:

Asian boy marry white girl.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.