Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post just need some advice

Theres a near perfect job as a sales assistant but im not sure if the hours are too much saturday 8-5 and sunday 11-5. do you itz too much with me doing 5 A-Levels in september? Need some opinions on this.

thanx very much

ReputationRep:
    Not if you work hard during the week. Realistically how much work would you be planning to do at the weekend? Most people I know didn't spend the whole of Saturday and Sunday doing a-level work so I think you'd be fine, also the hours aren't that long so if you had some coursework or a big piece of homework you could always do some extra in the evenings when you get back from work.

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, if you're doing arts subjects like I did, there is no way on earth that you'll be able to cope doing those hours at weekends.
    I did English, History, Politics and German - so I had 4 essays/long pieces of work per week most weeks, on top of smaller homeworks, and had several 'crisis weekends' (as we lovingly called them ) where I didn't have time to do anything at all because I had so much work. I generally worked hard in free periods, and didn't anywhere near finish everything I had to get done in just that time.
    If you're doing sciences, you should be fine - apart from coursework, which shut all the biology and chemistry people in my school away at home for 2 weeks solid, they seemed to spend much less time working than we did!
    I personally wouldn't take the job - I would have had to work every spare minute monday-friday to be able to do those hours and get my school work done too! You've also got to consider whether you're the sort of person who'dbe out a lot on Friday/Saturday evenings. If you're willing to spend that time working you could probably do it, but if you want to go out and have fun it would make managing the time for job + schoolwork difficult

ReputationRep:
    I had an xmas job at Zavvi last xmas which required me to work friday 5 til 8, Saturday 3 til 8 and Sunday 12 til 6.
    It did compromise one of my AS level grades but there were plenty of other factors that contributed to that as well in the Jan exams.
    But your talking more about every weekend so could you not ask to get your hours shortened a bit?

Also do you have a frees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Realistically, if you're doing arts subjects like I did, there is no way on earth that you'll be able to cope doing those hours at weekends.
    I did English, History, Politics and German - so I had 4 essays/long pieces of work per week most weeks, on top of smaller homeworks, and had several 'crisis weekends' (as we lovingly called them ) where I didn't have time to do anything at all because I had so much work. I generally worked hard in free periods, and didn't anywhere near finish everything I had to get done in just that time.
    If you're doing sciences, you should be fine - apart from coursework, which shut all the biology and chemistry people in my school away at home for 2 weeks solid, they seemed to spend much less time working than we did!
    I personally wouldn't take the job - I would have had to work every spare minute monday-friday to be able to do those hours and get my school work done too! You've also got to consider whether you're the sort of person who'dbe out a lot on Friday/Saturday evenings. If you're willing to spend that time working you could probably do it, but if you want to go out and have fun it would make managing the time for job + schoolwork difficult
    Thanks for the advice. how long were those essays every week?. TBH I rarely go out so that wont be a problem.

and oh my A-Levels are Citizenship, Sociology, Politics, History and Maths. The first four are related so much so the work load wont be that hard I dnt think. I could always ask for a change of hours and theres half terms and stuff.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleConverse)
    I had an xmas job at Zavvi last xmas which required me to work friday 5 til 8, Saturday 3 til 8 and Sunday 12 til 6.
    It did compromise one of my AS level grades but there were plenty of other factors that contributed to that as well in the Jan exams.
    But your talking more about every weekend so could you not ask to get your hours shortened a bit?

Also do you have a frees?
    I don't think i will but theres some enrichment afternoon day. TBH i really waste the weekends and probably wouldnt work anyway without the job. What do you think my hours could realistically be?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think that's too much. My friend had those hours with 5 subjects and found it sooooo difficult. There's a big jump between GCSE and A level. You need to decide what your priority is, like do you sacrifice an A for a B...

ReputationRep:
    According to my teacher they did a survey of all the students in my college (about 1500) one year and those who did more than 13 hours of work each week got on average a grade lower in their A-levels than they should have got (based on their GCSE grades). Not sure if this is true or she was just trying to scare us!

I would not recommend it as you will end up doing schoolwork most evenings and will never have any time to just relax. Try and find a job where you work only Saturday OR Sunday, not both.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly too much with 5 A-Levels, yes. Only you can be the judge really.

ReputationRep:
    I've been working every weekend since Year 10, and if anything, my grades are far better. You just have to be very organised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble188)
    I've been working every weekend since Year 10, and if anything, my grades are far better. You just have to be very organised.
    Since Year 10 you must be super organised - I'm hoping this job would make me more organised, what hours do you work. FTR what grades are you getting if you dnt mind me being nosey.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is too much at all.

I did that in Year 12 for one job and then toned it down in Year 12 to just Saturday hours, but to be honest I could have quite easily done Sunday.

I guess it depends on your A Levels, but for me the actual work load was seldom demanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lola_Stars*)

I did that in Year 12 for one job and then toned it down in Year 12 to just Saturday hours, but to be honest I could have quite easily done Sunday.

I guess it depends on your A Levels, but for me the actual work load was seldom demanding.
    Do you mind me asking what the job was?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I couldn't deal with it - I had to quit my job as I really needed a break on weekends and my subjects were quite 'heavy'.

It's totally individual though, just do whatever you think you can cope with. Everyone's different.

Why not try it, give it a go and if it's not working then give it up?

ReputationRep:
    I work slightly more than those hours and I coped during Y12 although it wasn't ideal. There is ample time to get work done during the week if you get organised. I would advise trying to change it to one weekend day with one evening in the week as working both days is annoying as you don't have any free days during term times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lola_Stars*)

where did you work?

ReputationRep:
    It''s easily doable...Just don't expect to have much of a social life.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of 5 AS's, drop one to make 4. Then you get a little extra time (free periods) to do some extra work for the other subjects. Then, you can work as well!

People saying don't do it really haven't thought it through. Yes, it's all well and good saying you have got 5 AS levels, but when it comes to working, there is no experience.

I say do 4 AS's, and do your job as well! That shows you are intelligent and can work at the same time! I've done this since December, and yes, you have to be organised, but, I've gained a lot of social skills, dealing with the public (which is hard going at times) and made loads of great friends at work!

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to cope with that, i managed to work 25+ hours per week (4 or 5 days) and do 4 a levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayscout)
    I work slightly more than those hours and I coped during Y12 although it wasn't ideal. There is ample time to get work done during the week if you get organised. I would advise trying to change it to one weekend day with one evening in the week as working both days is annoying as you don't have any free days during term times.
    Thats worth a try or maybe every other sunday. Tell me why wasn't it ideal? - did your grades get seriously affected?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.