Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajackz)
    Thats worth a try or maybe every other sunday. Tell me why wasn't it ideal? - did your grades get seriously affected?
    I did have enough time to get the work done, but with more free time I could have done more of the extra studying that makes the difference. But if I'm honest I wasn't going to spend all the hours I was at work studying anyway. I found being on my feet all day tiring, so when I got back I just felt like wearing a dent on my sofa in front of the telly and not much like doing any work. I haven't got my AS grades back yet so I can't really say for definite. I think it depends on the individual. I only did 4 though, you'll probably find it harder with 5.

ReputationRep:
    In a nutshell, yes.

How will you be able to work, relax and revise?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OP, I did French, German, History and English and 12 hours a week, and it was okay. Busy, sure, but doable. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    thats nothing - everybody who isnt on ema gets a job - they have to - i started hemorrhaging money when i started 6th form. Thats not going to interfere with revision to much either.

I worked saturdays plus 2 nights a week - it wasnt bad - but during exams and stuff having work the nightmare is dreadful - not reccomended

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to apply. If it gets too much I'll asked to decrease my hours or just quit. Plus I need the money

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i will but theres some enrichment afternoon day. TBH i really waste the weekends and probably wouldnt work anyway without the job. What do you think my hours could realistically be?
    8 hours/week.

I was working 12-14ish per week at the start of my AS levels and I struggled. I found I needed to have one free day a week, sat or sun, to get work done and to RELAX. I did manage though, but left as it got closer to June exams because I wanted to focus entirely on that.

Get a job where you just work one day, or one weekend day and an evening. Most of the weeks at my job I was working an 5-6 hour sat/sun shift and then Monday night 5.30-11 & I could not have done more. I struggled with this.

ReputationRep:
    I knew people who did this when I was at school and they coped very well, also doing sports and other extracurriculars on top of their A-Levels. Having a job actually helped them to structure their time. If you are motivated you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post just need some advice

Theres a near perfect job as a sales assistant but im not sure if the hours are too much saturday 8-5 and sunday 11-5. do you itz too much with me doing 5 A-Levels in september? Need some opinions on this.

thanx very much
    I don't know if this has already been said but our head of sixth form claimed that certain studies showed that for every hour over 8 hours a week you work means you drop a grade at A level. No clue if it's true or not myself, there are guys in my year (just finished AS level) who work 3 hours after school everyday or there abouts, go partying every weekend but appeared really confident during their exams and aren't exactly the stupidest in the class..

I guess we'll see when results come out, but if your doing 5 A levels I think Saturday and Sunday might be a bit too much.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    School work should always come before jobs. Just my 2 cents. You're going to have literally no free time, and weekends are incredibly valuable during exam periods. Alternatively do 4 AS for extra time.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post just need some advice

Theres a near perfect job as a sales assistant but im not sure if the hours are too much saturday 8-5 and sunday 11-5. do you itz too much with me doing 5 A-Levels in september? Need some opinions on this.

thanx very much
    when i started at sixth form i was working 12-8 on both saturday and sunday and i i found this was just too much even with me doing only 4 a-levels

so if i was you i wouldnt take it, its just not worth putting your grades on the line for

ReputationRep:
    Im about to start 5 A levels and i plan to carry on working both saturday and sunday. If anything i think working is actually really good along side school work. Not only does it give you experience of actually having a job but also in my GCSE's it actually kept me sane, because even though it was working.. it was different that my school work which was on my mind all the time. So im hoping this will stay the same throughout sixth form and i deffinately plan to carry on.. Unless it does infact harm my grades but i really can't see that it will.

ReputationRep:
    Woah boy, have a day off.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say personally that's too much, especially if you're doing 5 A-levels, and even more so if they're essay subjects or if you struggle with any of them. I would try asking if you could do just the Saturday or just the Sunday, rather than both.

You could manage it if you work really hard during the week, ie after school and in your free periods, but it would be a lot of stress.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine.
    You will have plenty of time in free periods, evenings, when you arent working at weekends etc to get school work done.
    I managed to get all my a level work done and work weekends.

ReputationRep:
    Try and ask for less hours as you need some time to work on your subjects, especially that you're doing 5 AS

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind me asking what the job was?
    Sales assistant at Superdrug

ReputationRep:
    Since Year 10 you must be super organised - I'm hoping this job would make me more organised, what hours do you work. FTR what grades are you getting if you dnt mind me being nosey.
    I used to do friday evenings after school, saturday evenings and sunday lunch, sometimes an odd evening on weekdays too.

I'm predicted AAAB at A-level, somehow!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.