Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure this fits into H&R and I know its probably not even important, but i feel awful and need advice please..

Yesterday a big box fell out from under my car whilst I was driving and sparked everywhere, so I took it to the garage around the corner last night (Sunday). I parked it behind another car in an unmarked section in front of the garage, put a little piece of paper with my number on it explaining what had happened under the wiper, and took the key with me home.

I called the garage this morning at 7.55 (I knew it was meant to open at 8am) and at 8.01 I got a call from the garage owner, sounding very annoyed because I'd blocked the entrance to the garage with my car (but I'd parked it behind another car which was parked there).

I was down there by about three minutes past 8 with my key, and he was really annoyed because I'd blocked the entrance and that had apparently lost him an MOT slot for the morning. he just took my key and didn't really say anything except to go home and get some breakfast.

Now i'm back home, I have no idea what I should do now. I'm really skint so could have done without the car breaking in the first place, but should I offer to pay for the lost MOT because of where I left my car? my parents are away on holiday, usually they would know how to sort this kind of thing out, but I don't have a clue. Also, do I call the man and apologise, or leave him to it, or any alternative? I'd really appreciate help as to what I should do in this situation.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Leave it, don't pay extra, if what you have written is true it's an utter pile of ******** and he's having you. In future though, don't leave your car at a garage without the key there, just phone the AA or RAC. I don't understand how it lost him an MOT slot for the morning though,

ReputationRep:
    What a strange thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    No don't pay extra, just apologise again, 8 minutes lost him an MOT slot???

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a porky-pie to me. Don't be soft, if there weren't any signs telling you not to park there then it wasn't your fault, it's an umarked road afterall, you had every right. And a few minutes delay stopped him doing an MOT? Tall story. Apologise once more if you feel as though you have to, but nothing more. I'd be very surprised if he didn't add a bit "extra" onto your bill anyway, the thieving douchebags.

ReputationRep:
    pfb

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.