The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Placement year costs of living/travel

Hey yall,

I got a conditional offer (IBAM) from aston, and it'll be confirmed the 27th of august, yes, you guessed it, Im also waiting for the GCSE results, but thats another story. Anyway, I wanted to get an idea of how much money I'll need to make the arrangements (living, travel, rent) for the placement year. Even though thats a paid placement, you still need money to get settled and I'd like to know that amount.

So people, any comments are welcome..:wink:))
Reply 1
The only money trouble you will have is right at the start with housing deposits/rent etc. Once your first pay packet comes through it's all plain sailing. I think I managed to save around £5k that year despite splashing out on 2 new guitars, new pc and other non essentials. I can't help you if you're looking at an international placement, as obviously there are more costs involved
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
We were advised by the British Council to bring €1000-€1500 with us to get set up on our placement year (in Germany 2007-8) as you can't be too sure when your first pay packet will go in and you need to get a place to live etc. Travel costs will really depend where you go, but just as you would for a holiday, shop around to get the cheapest you can. I think I used to get €30-€60 returns between Birmingham/Gatwick and Cologne with Easyjet or TuiFly, but it did get into the €100s around Christmas and New Year.

Latest