Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to study either PPE or PPS at Oxbridge will my a-levels be respected enough provided I get A/A*

Maths - comes in useful especially the stats
    Sociology - love it in every way
    History - provides useful background for PPE
    Citizenship Studies - really interesting and goes well with the others
    Government and Politics - whats not to like about politics

Although I like them all in different ways do you I should change and what to?

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty- no.

Ideally you want English/History, Politics, Economics and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajackz)
    I'm looking to study either PPE or PPS at Oxbridge will my a-levels be respected enough provided I get A/A*

Maths - comes in useful especially the stats
    Sociology - love it in every way
    History - provides useful background for PPE
    Citizenship Studies - really interesting and goes well with the others
    Government and Politics - whats not to like about politics

Although I like them all in different ways do you I should change and what to?
    Instead of overloading with 5 at AS, do 4, but do economics instead of citizenship studies and sociology - they arent respected at all

ReputationRep:
    So you want to study PPE or PPS aye. Looks like I've got competition only I have the upper hand unless you change sociology to philosophy, citizenship studies to Economics and change Government and politics to English lit. But it is all up to you.

ReputationRep:
    no, you should really swap the sociology and citizenship for english/econ/ something well respected. an a in english is far more impressive than an a in citizenship studies tbph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    So you want to study PPE or PPS aye. Looks like I've got competition only I have the upper hand unless you change sociology to philosophy, citizenship studies to Economics and change Government and politics to English lit. But it is all up to you.
    Lol. I like all my subjects but especially Sociology and Citizenship there my 2 favourites plus I can get an A/A* easily plus isn't PPE and PPS related to them? and I jus dont get the English Lit part. They dont offer philosophy at my skl otherwise I might of done it.

What part of london you from?

Soz for the long essay

ReputationRep:
    yea as its allready been said - some of them arent "respected" - check the cambrdige/oxford blacklists in the back of their prospectuses - there is a little bit about a level options in there if i remember rightly.

But as someone has allready said english, economics, history and politics seem like good options

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I like all my subjects but especially Sociology and Citizenship there my 2 favourites plus I can get an A/A* easily plus isn't PPE and PPS related to them? and I jus dont get the English Lit part. They dont offer philosophy at my skl otherwise I might of done it.

What part of london you from?

Soz for the long essay
    I live in South London though I go to school in Croydon. But hey I guess what you do is entirely up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    I live in South London though I go to school in Croydon. But hey I guess what you do is entirely up to you.
    I live in South London and live quite near Croydon. What courses you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    I live in South London and live quite near Croydon. What courses you thinking of applying to?
    Well there is either PPE, Economics or Law. But really I hope to study Economics at any of the top 10 universities. But that is only if I get an A* in GCSE maths. So my fate is decided on the 27th of August.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Some people talk crap; they're fine. Economics or a language would be better than Sociology and Citizenship Studies, but you have three solid and relevant (especially to PPE) subjects that you could take on to A2 (Maths, History and Politics), so it doesn't really matter if you can make up what you're missing by not doing those A-levels in reading around the subject, giving a good interview and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Well there is either PPE, Economics or Law. But really I hope to study Economics at any of the top 10 universities. But that is only if I get an A* in GCSE maths. So my fate is decided on the 27th of August.
    Why if you only get an A* in GCSE Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    You don't have to get an A* for Maths, it's just useful. Do you really think that if you don't get an A*, you can't study at the top 10?

ReputationRep:
    So what A-Levels should I do for PPE/PPS bearing in mind my GCSE predictions?:

Sociology: A* Joint Favourite
    Citizenship: A* Joint Favourite
    Business A*
    Drama B
    Spanish E
    English: B/C
    English Literature: A/B
    Maths: B+
    Triple Sciences: A/B/C who knows
    RE: A/B
    Stats: A/B

Need to think about my choices more carefully now

ReputationRep:
    So what A-Levels should I do for PPE/PPS bearing in mind my GCSE predictions?:

Sociology: A* Joint Favourite
    Citizenship: A* Joint Favourite
    Business A*
    Drama B
    Spanish E
    English: B/C
    English Literature: A/B
    Maths: B+
    Triple Sciences: A/B/C who knows
    RE: A/B
    Stats: A/B

Need to think about my choices more carefully now

No offence but those grades (though good) are significantly lower than the usual oxbridge student.
    If you achieved the top end of that spectrum: A*A*A*AAAABBBBE though very good Oxbridge students usually have higher grades than that - though obviously that is not always the case.

Also you may want to reconsider your a-level options if you're considering the PPE - it's one of the hardest courses to get on to. Though you have 3 which are relevant and "solid" another oxbridge contender may have more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    No offence but those grades (though good) are significantly lower than the usual oxbridge student.
    If you achieved the top end of that spectrum: A*A*A*AAAABBBBE though very good Oxbridge students usually have higher grades than that - though obviously that is not always the case.

Also you may want to reconsider your a-level options if you're considering the PPE - it's one of the hardest courses to get on to.
    Yeah I know there not the best I didnt really try hard enough in year 11. I might do some resits in 6th form though to improve

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know there not the best I didnt really try hard enough in year 11. I might do some resits in 6th form though to improve
    I was going to do that! But my school wouldn't let me resit any GCSEs. Pricks.
    yours are still better than MY gcse results :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I was going to do that! But my school wouldn't let me resit any GCSEs. Pricks.
    yours are still better than MY gcse results :P
    Lol, you should of done them privately thats what I plan if they start with there crap.

ReputationRep:

Maths - comes in useful especially the stats A1 list
    Sociology - love it in every way B list
    History - provides useful background for PPE B list
    Citizenship Studies - really interesting and goes well with the others C list
    Government and Politics - whats not to like about politics B list

For Oxbridge you're minimally looking at two A1/A2 courses and a third B course. You have A1BBBC which isn't really good enough, drop citizenship as it is more or less pointless, and drop sociology. Perhaps take up some A2 (listed) subjects such as philosophy RS or economics.

Something like this

Maths - A1
    Econ/RS - A2
    Philosophy/Latin/History - A2
    Politics - B

That would be a great set of A levels and you would end up with
    A1,A2,A2,B.
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Hopefully i'll apply for PPE after my gap year(s) - I graduated with Politics/psychology/Law which isn't very good subject wise. So i shall probably pick up Maths/Biology and potentially history/philosophy over the course of the next year.
    Hopefully my grades will be something like
    Law - A
    Politics - B
    Psychology - B
    Maths - A*
    History - A
    Biology - A
    A*AAABB which will hopefully be good enough to atleast get into the interview

ReputationRep:
    i agree, no offense but those grades arent enough for Oxbridge. Sociology and Citizenship are soft subjects and even if you get an A* they wont care, take eco and english instead!! Or just rethink your course completely.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.