Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are my A-Level choices decent enough? watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OP you are perhaps thinking, if PPE/S is to do with sociology and citizenship, why will taking sociology and citizenship not help me? The answer is that basically, your A-levels don't have to strictly relate to what you want to study; they have to show that you can think critically, write essays, and reason logically. For this sort of thing, things like History and English Lit are supposed to have more rigorous standards. Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    You don't have to get an A* for Maths, it's just useful. Do you really think that if you don't get an A*, you can't study at the top 10?
    That was my impression. Cambridge wouldn't take me nor would Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajackz)
    Why if you only get an A* in GCSE Maths?
    Because I'm doiung HL Maths for IB next year BUT for me to remain elligible I must get an A*. If I don't get an A*then I have to go down to SL maths and SL Maths is not looked kindly upon by the top 10 Universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    That was my impression. Cambridge wouldn't take me nor would Warwick.
    Perhaps not Cambridge, but I think Warwick would accept an A, especially with good IB grades in maths (if you are taking it). Don't think that it would jeopardize your aims of a top 10 uni.

EDIT: Not being able to take HL Maths is a better reason. If you were taking A-levels, it wouldn't matter much at all.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology will be fine for PPS, Cambridge suggest taking it for some of their courses (education/PPS), but maybe not so much for PPE. If it's your 3rd/4th A-Level and you get a good A/A* grade though it'll be fine.

Trying for PPE without economics or further/pure maths, though, will be really quite hard. Especially since you don't even have another science like physics to go with your maths.

You should really really reconsider taking citizenship studies. I didn't even know you could do it to A2 as so few schools offer it, and I don't even think it was seen as a proper option, more like general studies? I'd go for economics instead

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to study either PPE or PPS at Oxbridge will my a-levels be respected enough provided I get A/A*

Maths - comes in useful especially the stats
    Sociology - love it in every way
    History - provides useful background for PPE
    Citizenship Studies - really interesting and goes well with the others
    Government and Politics - whats not to like about politics

Although I like them all in different ways do you I should change and what to?
    stick with maths and politics and one of history/citizenship studies and take up economics, but scrap sociology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Sociology will be fine for PPS, Cambridge suggest taking it for some of their courses (education/PPS), but maybe not so much for PPE. If it's your 3rd/4th A-Level and you get a good A/A* grade though it'll be fine.

Trying for PPE without economics or further/pure maths, though, will be really quite hard. Especially since you don't even have another science like physics to go with your maths.

You should really really reconsider taking citizenship studies. I didn't even know you could do it to A2 as so few schools offer it, and I don't even think it was seen as a proper option, more like general studies? I'd go for economics instead
    Great advice. +rep for you.

Listen to this guy - take economics instead of citizenship studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    For Oxbridge you're minimally looking at two A1/A2 courses and a third B course. You have A1BBBC which isn't really good enough, drop citizenship as it is more or less pointless, and drop sociology. Perhaps take up some A2 (listed) subjects such as philosophy RS or economics.

Something like this

Maths - A1
    Econ/RS - A2
    Philosophy/Latin/History - A2
    Politics - B

That would be a great set of A levels and you would end up with
    A1,A2,A2,B.
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Hopefully i'll apply for PPE after my gap year(s) - I graduated with Politics/psychology/Law which isn't very good subject wise. So i shall probably pick up Maths/Biology and potentially history/philosophy over the course of the next year.
    Hopefully my grades will be something like
    Law - A
    Politics - B
    Psychology - B
    Maths - A*
    History - A
    Biology - A
    A*AAABB which will hopefully be good enough to atleast get into the interview
    I do 4 A2s... exciting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Great advice. +rep for you.

Listen to this guy - take economics instead of citizenship studies.
    I'm a girl :p: but thanks for the rep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I'm a girl :p: but thanks for the rep!
    I realised after I posted :p: Sorry

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to study either PPE or PPS at Oxbridge will my a-levels be respected enough provided I get A/A*

Maths - comes in useful especially the stats
    Sociology - love it in every way
    History - provides useful background for PPE
    Citizenship Studies - really interesting and goes well with the others
    Government and Politics - whats not to like about politics

Although I like them all in different ways do you I should change and what to?
    Maths and History are good but the other three are terrible for oxbridge. They tend to like "proper" academic subjects. You may wanna try Biology, Chem, Phys, Eng or Geog.

ReputationRep:
    oh yea and btw even if science or english is totally unrelated to your course an A in these subjects will make you look so much more intellegent than something like citizenship studies (lol) and give you a hugely greater chance of acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    I did history geography politics French and maths (self taught).

Personally I think the best combination to do is maths, further maths, economics, history and a language all at A2. I know people will criticse me for saying this and it certainly isn't necessary but I think a decent Oxbridge PPE candidate should cope fairly easily with that sort of combination, perhaps substituting the further maths for a science/ humanities subject if they want. Most of my A2 year was spent with my ex girlfriend and very little of it was spent studying and I still got full marks in seven of my modules. A levels are a complete joke if you are of Oxbridge calliber. First year of university was crazily tough though because I got used to skipping lots of lessons and doing virtually nothing then walking into exams and getting full marks and you just can't do that at a top university. I worked damn hard though ths year. One of my friends failed his first year of Oxford after growing complacent at A levels too: he was a physicist and for one of his further maths modules he looked at the textbook an hour before the exam, went in and got a low A. These are the sorts of people that get in (and sometimes get rejected) and they can still struggle when there.

Your grades are unlikely to be good enough for Oxbridge unless you have strong mitigating circumstances (read illness meaning you missed a lot of year 10/11 or you go to a terrible school).

However an exceptional set of AS grades would impress them, as they like to see improvements, but you should avoid sociology and citiznship.

It sounds like you have been poorly informed which suggests you go to a bad school. This will help with your application, although probably not much: it could get you an interview but will not be enough to get you through if you do not have the academic ability.

Also it's not just Oxford you will struggle to get in there with those grades for: Warwick, Durham and York will most likely reject you in the first paper sift. Many a candidate is rejected by Warwick/ Durham especially only to be accepted by Oxford because they show a lot of flare in the interview. Bear in mind that these other top ten universities reject candidates for PPE with 8A*s frequently, so if you are not a strong oxford PPE candidate then you are also a very weak candidate to other top universities for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    Perhaps not Cambridge, but I think Warwick would accept an A, especially with good IB grades in maths (if you are taking it). Don't think that it would jeopardize your aims of a top 10 uni.

EDIT: Not being able to take HL Maths is a better reason. If you were taking A-levels, it wouldn't matter much at all.
    If Cambridge wouldn't accept an A in maths then Warwick would be VERY unlikely to.

Warwick arguably have the second highest entry requirements for maths in the country (depending on whether you consider Oxford's entrance exam and the other universities that do one, to be harder than Step I).

One of my friends was telling me about how this year at Warwick most of the mathematicians had 4 As at A2 level AND step I.

do physics, its just the best! lol,
    just take accademic subjects, you know the usual, arts sciences and languages!

before someone starts yes my subjects arent ideal :'( lol

ReputationRep:
    drop citizenship and take economics, eng lit/religious studies/philosophy

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd be better off trying a different degree. Why not just do a degree in Sociology? PPE is one of the degrees for high achievers. As people have said, 8 A* is kind of a benchmark for popular courses at Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol etc.

ReputationRep:
    soft subjects. Replace with economics, english.

(Original post by talon1579)
    I think you'd be better off trying a different degree. Why not just do a degree in Sociology? PPE is one of the degrees for high achievers. As people have said, 8 A* is kind of a benchmark for popular courses at Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol etc.
    just aswell i have 8a* then thank you triple science loL!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.