Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am academically pretty strong. I received 6 A2 level A grades and an A at AS level, with strong GCSEs. I went to Durham University and did an MSci in Natural Sciences (Chemistry and Physics) and was officially awarded a 2:2 for my troubles (though the grade is under review due to the University failing to account for a doctors letter excusing me from one of my assignments).

Nonetheless, in my current situation having a 2:2, despite my superb A-level grades and the fact that I am actually a smart and personable guy, I am finding it exceptionally difficult to even find interesting jobs where I can use my skills that do not simply say... "minimum 2:1 honours degree in numerate subject". I cannot tell you how sick I am of hearing that. I mean it fails to take into account the quality of said degree or institution... It all seems really quite ridiculous... but I know if I applied, most of them would not even give my application a second glance, however well I wrote it.

Am I missing something, is there a way to get onto the career ladder in financial work with a 2:2 degree... or was the last 4 years a rather serious waste of time.

It just feels terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you go to Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    Why didn't you go to Oxbridge?
    Just because you have high grades doesn't mean you HAVE to go to Oxford or Cambridge.

(Original post by RobbieC)
    I am academically pretty strong. I received 6 A2 level A grades and an A at AS level, with strong GCSEs. I went to Durham University and did an MSci in Natural Sciences (Chemistry and Physics) and was officially awarded a 2:2 for my troubles (though the grade is under review due to the University failing to account for a doctors letter excusing me from one of my assignments).
    OP: Are you confident that with your remark you will get a 2:1? Wait till then maybe then apply for the jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Just because you have high grades doesn't mean you HAVE to go to Oxford or Cambridge.
    LLLIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS SS!!!! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    often on the application forms they have a section for mitigating circumstances that you can fill in which might help.

Or start on at a smaller company that requires a 2:2 and then once qualified or after a few years move...then they're rarely that interested in your degree

or alternatively wait til your uni comes back with a remark

ReputationRep:
    guys am I missing something here
    a 2.2 in Natsci and you want to do financial work?

confused.com

ReputationRep:
    I did apply to Cambridge, but did not get in.

Yes, I studied Natural Sciences as I had no idea of what I wanted to do professionally, but I believed that a highly numerate and flexible discipline would put me in good stead for most positions when I left University.

I do believe my appeal will be successful, else I'd not have made it. I am fairly sure it will at least go back to the exam board in any case, but cannot be certain and so am planning for the worst case scenario.

As for the confused.com remark, I am assuming it was you who was confused and hope I have clarified the situation regarding my ambitions. Given that around 85% of graduates from my degree (who do not become academics) go into the banking and finance sector, I do not see why this is so astonishing.

Nonetheless, I am still open to novel ideas for how to - if you will - upgrade my academic profile without the expense of a second degree if possible.

I know postgraduate work is an option, and am looking into it, but I would rather like to take up a position where I can earn a decent wage, for the first time in my life, and begin to gain some self-sufficiency.

What I refuse to do is go and work in a shop as an assistant or something when I have a Masters degree from one of the strongest Universities in the country.

Any and all proper advice is very welcome!

ReputationRep:
    You're not alone.
    It seems better to have a 2:1 from lower rank university rather than 2:2 from a top university.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you get into baker tilly

ReputationRep:
    I would seriously suggest that you apply for jobs asking for a 2.1 - You can still include all the relevant skills etc which make you right for the job and mention that you feel your work was of 2.1 standard and circumstances (or w/e) pulled your mark down.

Also apply for jobs with lower requirements. I have a 2.2 - in a BSc though - and have just got a job in science, low down but a start which opens up options :yes: You might find that you find a job quicker this way, and even though you start on a lower wage you could begin looking for your next opportunity.

Please don't forget that it is difficult to get jobs in this current climate. Just keep applying to everything which is relevant and do the best application you can

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UglyDuckling)
    You're not alone.
    It seems better to have a 2:1 from lower rank university rather than 2:2 from a top university.

Well a 2:1 is still a 2:1, and a 2:2 is still a 2:2, regardless of where its from. And anyway all good graduate recruitment schemes are institution blind, which does of course mean that there are a heck of a lot of bad ones out there as they will only accept applications from university careers fairs that they've actually visited, etc...

Anyway as an aside, if your appeal is decided in your favour it will probably mean that you will be given the opportunity to retake that particular module, etc... As far as I am aware most institutions do not allow you to be 'excused' work, but they may allow you to resit exams, resubmit work, etc... with full marks available if you have documentary evidence to support your case that you were unable to complete it at the time, were sick on the day of the exam, etc...

I had to go down this route myself as it happens, and it's really not fun having to rewrite your dissertation whilst you're supposed to be on holiday in Italy, really ruins the holiday I must say...

Either way, if it was work that you should have done but haven't, then really you should do the work, and indeed should already have done it, handed it in and then they would have the option of marking it fully, rather than giving it a bare pass for being late, or whatever the rules are for your uni. Hmm, not enough full stops just then...

ReputationRep:
    Because a 2:2 NatSci from dur isnt that great?

ReputationRep:
    If the worst happens, then your best bet might just be to decide on the long term and start at a smaller company getting some experience under your belt, until it overshadows your qualifications and you can progress.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what field in the finance sector you're going for. I'm afraid a 2:2 in Natural Sciences will not be good enough for the jobs like Investment Banking. Also, the job market right now is as hard as it's ever been, with experienced people being unable to find jobs let alone graduates.
    If you continue to struggle, I suggest you go for a posgraduate study (in something more relevant to finance).

ReputationRep:
    What work experience do you have ?

ReputationRep:
    Masters? MBA ftw!

ReputationRep:
    Your A-levels are astonishing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I don't see why you're shocked that employers would want someone with better grades? Your university name isn't a magic door into any job you like. They want a 2.i and you don't have it. So no wonder they won't employ you. Sounds like you'll have to swallow your pride and go for the sort of jobs your degree grade qualifies you for, rather than the magic ones you think you're entitled to simply because of your institution name. I know people who have graduated from Oxbridge with 2.i or Firsts this year who can't find a job, so simply having mediocre grades and the word "Durham" on your CV won't find you work that isn't there.

Of course you can get onto the careers ladder, but just slightly lower down. If you're as good as you say you are, then you'll move up the ladder and be in the job you think you're suited to pretty quickly. Grades are what gets you the foot on the ladder (however high that may be). If you're good enough, you'll move up the ladder quickly.
    I do not expect to be handed a job. I expect to be allowed to apply for jobs, and not simply blacklisted by employers because I received a 59% rather than a 62% (which the current disputed marks range from). The fact that I went to a good University, did a solid degree and have a fourth year only serve to add to the frustration of graduate employers effectively blanking me. It just doesn't seem wholly reasonable for them to draw a line like that.

And if you'd checked my A-level results, you would be well aware that I understand good grades. There is no need to be so aggressive about things.

Getting on the career ladder is the problem. I do not mind not doing IB or starting a little lower down... But I am seemingly disqualified from 75% of grad jobs I am seeing on milkround, the employers for which are obsessed with 2.i grades in a very finite and limited way. I don't want to be controversial, but would argue a 2.2 MSci in my subject to merit what passes for a 2.1 BSc elsewhere. Not everywhere, but you must see my point.

I did get into Baker Tilly, who have said that if my appeal looks to go well, they'll let me start as planned. If not, well, further discussions will need to take place apparently. But having recorded - and this is what they told me at my 2nd interview - "the best test scores we've seen in 4 years", I would be a little disappointed if they pulled the plug on me.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the MoD's DESG?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Have you considered the MoD's DESG?
    I had come across this around a year ago actually, but thanks so much for reminding me. It seems ideal actually. I don't think they were after Physics/Chemistry when I last perused, but it can't hurt to go for it.

Thanks.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.