Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Application forms usually have a page similar to a personal statement, use that to explain that you have extenuating circumstances and you classification is being reviewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Werty675)
    A 2:2 is, from what I've seen from those that got one, far less detrimental than you may believe.

Many graduate schemes will be out
    Tis a bit detrimental then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Tis a bit detrimental then...

What I'm getting at is that there are plenty of ways into pretty much every industry other than just through graduate schemes. Basically your career choice doesn't have to change, but the way you get there may do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    guys am I missing something here
    a 2.2 in Natsci and you want to do financial work?

confused.com
    Jeez! Not everyone in the city did Economics or other ******** like that. Most people I know of did science/engineering. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milner001)
    a 2.2 is meant to be the same anywhere so stop with the quality of institution rubbish.
    It's meant to be. But in reality, it just isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Werty's post and a couple of others have really helped actually. I am glad I chose to rely on TSR, and thankfully have been here long enough to filter out all the misinformed nonsense. I owe you some rep Werty.

As for ataloss, I think that is stellar advice, and am unsurprised to hear it from such a smart chap as yourself

Thanks for the PMs a couple of you sent too, some opportunities certainly seem to be appearing, even if things go badly with me and Baker Tilly.

Don't hesitate to add to the helpfulness though. I'll still give rep for decent/interesting suggestions. Ta!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I am academically pretty strong. I received 6 A2 level A grades and an A at AS level, with strong GCSEs. I went to Durham University and did an MSci in Natural Sciences (Chemistry and Physics) and was officially awarded a 2:2 for my troubles (though the grade is under review due to the University failing to account for a doctors letter excusing me from one of my assignments).

Nonetheless, in my current situation having a 2:2, despite my superb A-level grades and the fact that I am actually a smart and personable guy, I am finding it exceptionally difficult to even find interesting jobs where I can use my skills that do not simply say... "minimum 2:1 honours degree in numerate subject". I cannot tell you how sick I am of hearing that. I mean it fails to take into account the quality of said degree or institution... It all seems really quite ridiculous... but I know if I applied, most of them would not even give my application a second glance, however well I wrote it.

Am I missing something, is there a way to get onto the career ladder in financial work with a 2:2 degree... or was the last 4 years a rather serious waste of time.

It just feels terrible.
    I bet you went to a private school where they did the work for you.

With a 2:2 you can still get into the civil service graduate fast stream you know. 40% of applicants are from oxbridge, so it's good. Ask Quady on tSR, he's a graduate fast streamer and an expert on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    I bet you went to a private school where they did the work for you.

With a 2:2 you can still get into the civil service graduate fast stream you know. 40% of applicants are from oxbridge, so it's good. Ask Quady on tSR, he's a graduate fast streamer and an expert on this.
    For a second there I thought you were going to go off on one at me, which would have been a shame since I adore Withnail... watched it again yesterday, quite oddly.

I did not go to a private school. State comprehensive, and same for sixth-form, but when I did A-levels I was doing so many (self-teaching History and Further Maths) that I dropped out of all my classes and taught myself using textbooks. The opposite of what you thought, really.

ReputationRep:
    For a second there I thought you were going to go off on one at me, which would have been a shame since I adore Withnail... watched it again yesterday, quite oddly.

I did not go to a private school. State comprehensive, and same for sixth-form, but when I did A-levels I was doing so many (self-teaching History and Further Maths) that I dropped out of all my classes and taught myself using textbooks. The opposite of what you thought, really.
    you showed me

ReputationRep:
    Bad luck buddy. I suppose all those A's at A level were for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    you showed me
    Not to worry, it's far from the most stupid or scathing post I've had to endure. See the one directly above my last for some epic levels of stupidity. Makes you wonder what the point is really.

I have looked at a number of opportunities within insurance broking, thanks to a PM, and they all seem to be viable entries to the fiscal world... and it actually sounds reasonably interesting. Unfortunately most of them have closed.

It seems that perhaps only the largest of companies continue a yearly recruitment cycle. Though I am convinced I have seen some firms having winter recruitments.

ReputationRep:
    Can you clarify your awareness and usage of this site

ReputationRep:
    Buddy, 60% = 2ii from Cambridge. I feel your pain. I figure just apply for the 2i schemes anyway, it can't hurt can it? Make a killer cover letter and hope for the best. Ready yourself for a lot of rejection though.

(Original post by Lizia)
    Oh, shut up yourself. If employers believed his grades were equivalent or better than a 2.1 elsewhere, they'd be employing him. They'd make it clear in their graduate specifications that they wanted a 2.1 or a 2.2 MSci from Durham. They have plenty of experience hiring graduates and they don't believe a 2.2 in an MSci from Durham is worth employing, yet they think a 2.1 in an BSci from Sheffield would be. If the experts, or at least the only people whose opinions matter in this scenario, don't think a 2.2 in the OP's degree is acceptable, then I can't see why he expects them to employ him.
    Just because it's what the employers dictate it does not mean that the system is perfect. I for one think it is crap for failing to acknowledge the difficulty of certain degrees over others. I don't care what their requirements may convey, but it is pretty damn obvious to anybody with an iota of logic that a very high 2:2 in a Masters level course from a top 10 institution is on a par with - or even better, in some cases - than a 2:1 BSc from a top 30 or less university. And employers' failing to address this, to me, means that candidates like the OP have the right to be feeling indignant and disappointed with they way applicants with a 2:2 are viewed. So instead of just jumping to conclusions and criticising the OP for daring to question the system, take the above into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Well a 2:1 is still a 2:1, and a 2:2 is still a 2:2, regardless of where its from.
    Wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgehunter)
    Jeez! Not everyone in the city did Economics or other ******** like that. Most people I know of did science/engineering. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    chill the **** out yo,
    dont assume that it is common knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    but it is pretty damn obvious to anybody with an iota of logic that a very high 2:2 in a Masters level course from a top 10 institution is on a par with - or even better, in some cases - than a 2:1 BSc from a top 30 or less university.
    Personally I found doing a masters was easier than a BSc. I would definitely have got a 2.2 if I was on a BSc, whereas I moved unis to do a masters in order to get a 2.1.

(Original post by Quady)
    Personally I found doing a masters was easier than a BSc. I would definitely have got a 2.2 if I was on a BSc, whereas I moved unis to do a masters in order to get a 2.1.
    I wasn't aware one could do the fourth year of an undergraduate Masters course (sounds like an oxymoron; it isn't) at a different institution. So you're saying that if I was doing MMath and I decided after my third year that I would rather do the fourth year at a different uni, I'd be allowed to do that?

That doesn't sound right...

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware one could do the fourth year of an undergraduate Masters course (sounds like an oxymoron; it isn't) at a different institution. So you're saying that if I was doing MMath and I decided after my third year that I would rather do the fourth year at a different uni, I'd be allowed to do that?

You can transfer between any year really. Unless like me and Robbie, you are tied to one place by your course.

ReputationRep:

No but you can do the 3rd/4th year elsewhere.

I missed the MChem mark after year two so moved into year three at another uni where the arbitrary cut off was lower.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.