Turn on thread page Beta

My degree is a toxic asset. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am not dead set. It's just I had my offer from accountancy, which must mean I was doing something right. They could well still take me, even if my appeal doesn't work out, but I'll have to do some negotiating with them on that front.

I am just looking for something where I can 1) learn/be trained in something new/interesting 2) earn a half-decent salary with a view to improving this as I become trained 3) eventually have ability to move sideways/upwards on the career ladder.

Having just been up all night pretty much researching, I've found a list of 24 jobs I would be interested in and can apply for. Thanks for the help so far. And for those less helpful, **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Well that's odd, as 2:2 still says "I went out and drank too much, or I'm actually rather thick" to me regardless of where you get it from...

As to getting a 3rd, well what was the point exactly in getting into that much debt? If you're going to **** up like that, at least do the decent thing and crash off after your first year. Just like I did the first time around as it happens
    That is not always correct, there can be other factors (e.g serious exam panic). However, yes, that is usually the case. That said, someone getting a 2.2 from Cambridge is probably less thick than someone with one from UCE. In fact, they are probably less thick than many people with a 2.1 from such an institution.

I do take your point about work ethic though, most people at the top unis are capapble of a 2.1, so a 2.2 is often, but not always, work-ethic related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Hey, I am not dead set. It's just I had my offer from accountancy, which must mean I was doing something right. They could well still take me, even if my appeal doesn't work out, but I'll have to do some negotiating with them on that front.

I am just looking for something where I can 1) learn/be trained in something new/interesting 2) earn a half-decent salary with a view to improving this as I become trained 3) eventually have ability to move sideways/upwards on the career ladder.

Having just been up all night pretty much researching, I've found a list of 24 jobs I would be interested in and can apply for. Thanks for the help so far. And for those less helpful, **** off.
    Well, nice to see TSR has helped someone for once, good luck with the applications.

ReputationRep:
    I know a fair few people with 2.1s in subjects like Business and Crimonology from low ranked unis that can't get past the numerical and verbal reasoning stage on grad schemes so judging by your background if you could find a list of around 20 grad schemes you could apply for you should be able to do well.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly

I would try very hard with Baker Tilly as that is your best hope right now - you have gotten your foot into the door by talking to the staff there - just use some of your charm to try and convince them

I would ignore all the advice about doing more education etc unless you really want to, because at the end of the day it is just delaying starting work which I don't see any reason to do ATM.

You need to sign up with agencies, and apply for the kind of jobs that do not get mainstream advertising, this will also allow the agent to sell you the the company rather than with an electronic fitlering process.
    be warned tho, a lot of recruitment consultants are muppets and make up jobs - but i think a huge number of jobs go un-advertised..they may not be perfect graduate trainee type roels but they will get a foot in the door.

ReputationRep:

Robbie, long time no speak, sorry to hear things aren't going well on the job front.

Most formal Grad applications that I've made have had a box to fill in which offers you the chance to explain any mitigating circumstances you may have had which may have prevented you from meeting their minimum requirements. Since I know your situation, I am pretty sure that what has happened has been a huge clerical error on the part of the university, so whether or not your appeal is successful (which I'm sure it will be), you still have a strong case if you were to fill in the mitigating circumstances box. It won't be a guarantee that the firms will consider your application, but it will sure as hell help you get around the autofilter, and that's the hardest part. Once they see your previously stellar academic record and stuff you've done at university, anything's possible.

Chin up mate :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks loggins, and I know what you mean. But fingers crossed, the whole appalling mess will resolve itself when it becomes clear that there has been an error in the processing of my classification.

I just don't want to spend 2-3 hours on application forms only to fill in that box and find out I've been autofiltered out. So for now I'll apply to the schemes asking for a 2.2 or a Msc, which I've come to realise are more abundant than I'd thought.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks loggins, and I know what you mean. But fingers crossed, the whole appalling mess will resolve itself when it becomes clear that there has been an error in the processing of my classification.

I just don't want to spend 2-3 hours on application forms only to fill in that box and find out I've been autofiltered out. So for now I'll apply to the schemes asking for a 2.2 or a Msc, which I've come to realise are more abundant than I'd thought.
    There's plenty of time to apply for jobs, just wait until your appeal is decided upon before doing anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    There's plenty of time to apply for jobs, just wait until your appeal is decided upon before doing anything.
    I must say the impatience is borne of my absolute boredom and a little frustration. It is just a little difficult to accept that I have a Masters degree and am doing nought but housework to help out because I am currently unemployed. I was even too proud to sign up for jobseekers :o:

And whoever sent me to the abusive rep message: very grown up. Please remember to sign next time.

ReputationRep:
    I must say the impatience is borne of my absolute boredom and a little frustration. It is just a little difficult to accept that I have a Masters degree and am doing nought but housework to help out because I am currently unemployed. I was even too proud to sign up for jobseekers :o:

And whoever sent me to the abusive rep message: very grown up. Please remember to sign next time.
    Your rate of rejections will be far lower if you wait until the appeal when you'll surely come out with a 2.1. Right now you're pretty much just sabotaging yourself by applying for jobs that you have less chance of getting! If you get a 2.1 in the end, you can't go back and reapply for these jobs, you're just closing doors at the minute!

Boredom sucks, so do something useful for a couple of weeks, get a volunteer job or something mate, you know it makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Your rate of rejections will be far lower if you wait until the appeal when you'll surely come out with a 2.1. Right now you're pretty much just sabotaging yourself by applying for jobs that you have less chance of getting! If you get a 2.1 in the end, you can't go back and reapply for these jobs, you're just closing doors at the minute!

Boredom sucks, so do something useful for a couple of weeks, get a volunteer job or something mate, you know it makes sense!

Passing time learning to drive and trying to get my German to fluency... Both these things will infinitely expand my opportunities, particularly in business roles.

In any case, I am applying for the roles that require the 2:2 minimum, as my 2:2 could soon be a 2:1 and is also an MSc, so I can't see it holding me back from these apps. The ones that need a 2:1, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

ReputationRep:
    Passing time learning to drive and trying to get my German to fluency... Both these things will infinitely expand my opportunities, particularly in business roles.

In any case, I am applying for the roles that require the 2:2 minimum, as my 2:2 could soon be a 2:1 and is also an MSc, so I can't see it holding me back from these apps. The ones that need a 2:1, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
    You'd seriously improve your chances for the 2.2 jobs if you apply having a 2.1 though. Do whatever makes you happy though :p:.

German fluency is a good thing to add - am going to do the same next summer after my Masters - spending a few months in Mannheim. German is 1/3 of my degree but i didn't have a year abroad...

ReputationRep:
    You'd seriously improve your chances for the 2.2 jobs if you apply having a 2.1 though. Do whatever makes you happy though :p:.

German fluency is a good thing to add - am going to do the same next summer after my Masters - spending a few months in Mannheim. German is 1/3 of my degree but i didn't have a year abroad...
    I'm lingering somewhere between a GCSE and A-level standard in honesty, but have very good vocab. Just need to sort my grammar out and spend some time there to get better. Gap year, impromptu

Just got a phone interview from a company I applied to about a month ago. It wasn't in any way disclosed to me, and so I ended up saying some semi-silly stuff and having to ask what the title of the position was. Ugh, it was SO long ago! I did well after the wobble though. At last, some progress!!

ReputationRep:
    I am academically pretty strong. I received 6 A2 level A grades and an A at AS level, with strong GCSEs. I went to Durham University and did an MSci in Natural Sciences (Chemistry and Physics) and was officially awarded a 2:2 for my troubles (though the grade is under review due to the University failing to account for a doctors letter excusing me from one of my assignments).

Nonetheless, in my current situation having a 2:2, despite my superb A-level grades and the fact that I am actually a smart and personable guy, I am finding it exceptionally difficult to even find interesting jobs where I can use my skills that do not simply say... "minimum 2:1 honours degree in numerate subject". I cannot tell you how sick I am of hearing that. I mean it fails to take into account the quality of said degree or institution... It all seems really quite ridiculous... but I know if I applied, most of them would not even give my application a second glance, however well I wrote it.

Am I missing something, is there a way to get onto the career ladder in financial work with a 2:2 degree... or was the last 4 years a rather serious waste of time.

It just feels terrible.
    Often they waive the 2:1 requirement for people with masters degrees, so doing a masters may be an option. I agree, they should take into account the difficulty of the course and the university, but degrees are nominally supposed to be the same difficulty, so doing so brings issues.

If the university are willing to up it to a 2:1 based on your doctor's letter, this solves the problem. If not, doing a masters may be necessary. Though my housemate still has trouble finding a job having got a 2:2 (E&M, Oxford) and then done a masters. The job market isn't good at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Often they waive the 2:1 requirement for people with masters degrees, so doing a masters may be an option. I agree, they should take into account the difficulty of the course and the university, but degrees are nominally supposed to be the same difficulty, so doing so brings issues.

If the university are willing to up it to a 2:1 based on your doctor's letter, this solves the problem. If not, doing a masters may be necessary. Though my housemate still has trouble finding a job having got a 2:2 (E&M, Oxford) and then done a masters. The job market isn't good at the moment.
    Yeah I am aware of people having troubles, but it is stabilising in a way to know other academically strong people from good unis are finding it hard too. I am not the only one, at least.

But like I said, I am getting some opportunities come my way because I am working even harder now. Getting some of the motivation back and putting it to good use.

Does anyone have experience of the MoD or NHS grad schemes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    chill the **** out yo,
    dont assume that it is common knowledge
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    To be fair, most top quality graduate employers only target the best universities as a rule of thumb anyway, somebody from say, Thames Valley University is never going to walk into an M&A grad job with Goldman Sachs, even with 100% in their degree. University reputation is a bigger factor than course difficulty, for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am aware of people having troubles, but it is stabilising in a way to know other academically strong people from good unis are finding it hard too. I am not the only one, at least.

But like I said, I am getting some opportunities come my way because I am working even harder now. Getting some of the motivation back and putting it to good use.

Does anyone have experience of the MoD or NHS grad schemes?
    Not those two but I applied to the civil service grad scheme last year with a 2.2 and failed at the assesment centre. That's the only grad scheme I have applied for but this year I have drawn up a list of around 20 or so which im planning on applying for so have to see how it goes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Have you thought about becoming a teacher? I know it's not great if you're not interested in it, but if you've never considered it... you'd be fine with a 2.2 in NatSci, and there's a lot of chance for career progression etc. Though you'd need to get some experience under your belt.

Also, for those saying that a 2.2 MSci is the same as a 2.1 BSc... wrong. I think I'd get a 3rd if I did a fourth year whilst I'm on a solid 2.1 now. My course is weighted so that 9/14 of your overall mark is based on your fourth year. If you screw up your masters project, effectively worth 5/14 of your degree, it will bring your mark down significantly.

Robbie, hope your appeal goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couldxbe)
    If you screw up your masters project, effectively worth 5/14 of your degree, it will bring your mark down significantly.
    Conversly if you're good at labs but rubbish at exams doing the MSci brings your mark up subsantially and hence is easier.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.