Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherno_samba)
    Not those two but I applied to the civil service grad scheme last year with a 2.2 and failed at the assesment centre. That's the only grad scheme I have applied for but this year I have drawn up a list of around 20 or so which im planning on applying for so have to see how it goes.
    Make sure that you try again this year. It will be my 3rd or 4th try, but I'm still going to go for it. At least this year I won't have the pressure of 'having' to get in, which in all honesty is the factor that I think went against me last year, I just croaked at the E-tray, whilst the year before I got as far as FSAC with no prep at all...

So anyway back to the thread. Keep trying, you'll get something eventually. And yes if possible it would be good to fill your time now with stuff that can be used as attribute examples, improving your German would be good for personal development attributes (oddly enough something that I was marked down on my FSAC report). Heck you could even look at the attributes that they are looking for with the jobs you'd like to go for, and try to tailor what you fill your time with to try to fit those as best as you can...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milner001)
    a 2.2 is meant to be the same anywhere so stop with the quality of institution rubbish. Also you can't keep going on about your a level results as they will have been at least 3 years ago if you acheived a 2.2 then that is how clever you are and you will have to apply to jobs based on that. Having said that you mentioned something about a doctors note affecting it or something if that might raise your grade to a 2.1 then make sure to tell employers about that
    Bull****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    Bull****
    no get off TSR and speak to some employers. The vast majority don't care about your institution so much

ReputationRep:
    no get off TSR and speak to some employers. The vast majority don't care about your institution so much
    They didn't say anything about employers. Just that a 2.1 from Oxford in chemistry isn't the same as a 2.1 from York which isn't the same as a 2.1 from Hull which isn't a 2.1 from Kent.

ReputationRep:
    I know, that's why the system is unfair. I was disagreeing with the fact a 2.2 from one place is the same as a 2.2 from another when it clearly isn't.

ReputationRep:
    lol someone just negged me with the comment *****retard! It's clearly true that a 2.1 from a top ten uni is better than a 2.1 from an ex-poly. How can you possibly dispute that? Retard yourself, whoever you are.

ReputationRep:
    it wan't me i don't bother with that but a 2.1 is the same from both sets of uni's which is why top 10 uni's give out much more high grades than you get at lower down uni's. Just because you went to a top ten uni does not make you better than someone who got a higher grade at a lower uni

ReputationRep:
    it wan't me i don't bother with that but a 2.1 is the same from both sets of uni's which is why top 10 uni's give out much more high grades than you get at lower down uni's. Just because you went to a top ten uni does not make you better than someone who got a higher grade at a lower uni
    Your point is very true but the idea that someone with AAAA at A level could be worse than someone with CDD is slim/none whereas the %ages are much closer.

Theres certainly an arguement that says the quality of teaching improves at the same time % 2.1+ improves --> ie 1 to 1 tuition, better research project opportunities.

A chemistry student at Oxford gets no periodic table, at Bath you don't get the first 36 elements, at Exeter you get a full table. Theres a similar pattern for the number of equations given. Even if one script is compared against another as being equal then they really arn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Your point is very true but the idea that someone with AAAA at A level could be worse than someone with CDD is slim/none whereas the %ages are much closer.

Theres certainly an arguement that says the quality of teaching improves at the same time % 2.1+ improves --> ie 1 to 1 tuition, better research project opportunities.

A chemistry student at Oxford gets no periodic table, at Bath you don't get the first 36 elements, at Exeter you get a full table. Theres a similar pattern for the number of equations given. Even if one script is compared against another as being equal then they really arn't.
    Having said that people sometimes go to lower down uni's even with good grades because they feel more comfortable there or it is better for there particular course even if overall the uni is worse. Another reason is people sometimes want to stay living at home. As for your comments regarding the periodic table i imagine that this is just the case at exeter and not all lower uni'sand there maybe is other area's which are harder or they need to get a higher mark in the exam to get the same grade.

Also with the A levels thing by the time you finish uni they could be up to 5 years old and many people change in that period of time either they start to work harder to do better or some of the AAA's only got that because they spent every minite studying and they can;t deal with the different style/ higher work load at uni. Also people do different subjects at uni where they might be better at for example someone who got a C in maths a level will unlikely do well at pure maths at uni, however if they do engineering it may be that aspect of maths they were good at for A level but they didn't get an A because they struggled in other aspects of maths which aren't involved in engineering (probably better examples than maths/engineering)

ReputationRep:
    Having said that people sometimes go to lower down uni's even with good grades because they feel more comfortable there or it is better for there particular course even if overall the uni is worse. Another reason is people sometimes want to stay living at home. As for your comments regarding the periodic table i imagine that this is just the case at exeter and not all lower uni'sand there maybe is other area's which are harder or they need to get a higher mark in the exam to get the same grade.

Also with the A levels thing by the time you finish uni they could be up to 5 years old and many people change in that period of time either they start to work harder to do better or some of the AAA's only got that because they spent every minite studying and they can;t deal with the different style/ higher work load at uni. Also people do different subjects at uni where they might be better at for example someone who got a C in maths a level will unlikely do well at pure maths at uni, however if they do engineering it may be that aspect of maths they were good at for A level but they didn't get an A because they struggled in other aspects of maths which aren't involved in engineering (probably better examples than maths/engineering)
    Sure, all of that is well and good. But the numbers of people living at home to save a few grand at the expense of going to a 'lower uni' than they are capable of are small. I'd agree people can get worse, and I'd agree some (again small numbers) can get a C in something yet be a good student, but again 'lower unis' aren't full to the rafters of AAAC students or even ACD students.

I just find it difficult to understand how 50% of students at 'lower unis' are at lease one degree class level above 25% of those at the 'top unis' - 2.1+ vs 2.2 or lower. Guesstimate numbers but the right orders of magnitude I believe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Sure, all of that is well and good. But the numbers of people living at home to save a few grand at the expense of going to a 'lower uni' than they are capable of are small. I'd agree people can get worse, and I'd agree some (again small numbers) can get a C in something yet be a good student, but again 'lower unis' aren't full to the rafters of AAAC students or even ACD students.

I just find it difficult to understand how 50% of students at 'lower unis' are at lease one degree class level above 25% of those at the 'top unis' - 2.1+ vs 2.2 or lower. Guesstimate numbers but the right orders of magnitude I believe!
    because those numbers include students who go to university X which is ranked below university Y but actually us the better university in subject Z. Also league tables are not very reliable with significant changes in them each year which if they were a reliable measure of uni standard wouldn't happen

ReputationRep:
    because those numbers include students who go to university X which is ranked below university Y but actually us the better university in subject Z. Also league tables are not very reliable with significant changes in them each year which if they were a reliable measure of uni standard wouldn't happen
    Probably a larger factor than the ones you mentioned before!

By top I meant Oxbridge/Gimperial and LSC
    By lower I meant those below 80 in the league tables.
    Theres not much movement there!

and really I meant on courses with the same/similar course names not the aggregate of the uni. ie ones with the same outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    Bull****
    Well he's right, it is meant to be the same. Whether that's the case or not isn't what he was saying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.