How is degree weighting converted in to overall mark? watch

ReputationRep:
    rgdwhiof frn
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    the modules that are worth double credits (20 as opposed to 10) need to be taken into account twice.

so you would do: (57 x 2) + 71 + 62 ... + (42 x 2) + (51 x 2) all divided by 12.

which gives 53.3%
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I make it 53 \frac{1}{3}... that is:
    \newline \left (57 \times \frac{20}{120} \right) + \left (71 \times \frac{10}{120} \right) + \left (62 \times \frac{10}{120} \right) + \left (44 \times \frac{10}{120} \right) + \left (49 \times \frac{10}{120} \right) + \left (64 \times \frac{10}{120} \right) + \left (50 \times \frac{10}{120} \right) + \left (42 \times \frac{20}{120} \right) + \left (51 \times \frac{20}{120} \right) = 53 \frac{1}{3}

You have to take into account the weighting of the modules -- those that are worth 20 will have twice as much impact on your final mark as those that are worth 10, so you have to multiply by the proportion of the degree that it makes up (either 10/120 or 20/120 depending).

ReputationRep:
    Cheers 2^1/2 and nuodai, thanks for the help
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If you got 50% in Year 2 and Year 3, it makes no difference, because that's a straight 50% anyway. If you got, say, 60% in Year 2 and 40% in Year 3, then you'd have got an average of \left(60 \times \frac{1}{4} \right) + \left( 40 \times \frac{3}{4} \right) = 45 overall; but if you got 40% in Year 2 and 60% in Year 3, then you'd have got an average of \left(40 \times \frac{1}{4} \right) + \left( 60 \times \frac{3}{4} \right) = 55 -- not the same.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Singh42)
    One last thing guys - if you know that is.

I just checked the Student Handbook for my University and it said that Year 2 is worth 25% of the overall degree classification and Year 3, 75%.
    OK, this might sound a bit silly but isn't that just equivalent to having both years as 50%? What I mean by this is that, say i get a 50% average in both years, the weightings shouldnt surely matter?

e.g. 50% of 25 (year 2) = 12.5% and 50% of 75 (year 3) = 37.5 - which equals 50% average.

example 2 (if both years were weighed at 50% each) - 50% of 50 (Year 2) = 25% and 50% of 50 (Year 3) = 25%.

Surely my method once again (if proved wrong lol) shows that no matter what weighing the years are, if you get 50% in both years it still gives an overall 50% average.

Soz if that confuses y'all.
    Well, that's a bit of a no-brainer, really... If you get different grades, though, the weighting does matter

ReputationRep:
    If you did equally well then the weighting wouldn't matter, but the majority of people don't do equally in both years!

E.g. If you averaged 40% this year and 60% next then your overall mark would be (40*0.25)+(60*0.75)=10+45=55% not 50
    If however you averaged 60% in 2nd year and 40% in 3rd, then because the 3rd year is weighted more you would get a lower mark (i.e. 60*0.25+40*0.75 = 15 + 30 = 45%). See?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh42)
    Hello, I've just completed my first year at University studying Computer Science. I got an overall 2:2 for my first year.

The one thing which i'm wondering is how my actual overall mark is calculated. Below shows the results for each module alongside the amount of credits they totalled (adding up to 120 credits):

CREDIT RESULT
    20 57
    10 71
    10 62
    10 44
    10 49
    10 64
    10 50
    20 42
    20 51

The university calculated my overall mark as: 53

My method of calculating the overall grade would simply be to add up all the RESULTS and then divide by the number of modules (9) - By doing this i got a different overall mark of: 54.4

Thats 1.4 more than the mark the University gave me. Im guessing the University is probably right, but if you do know the method they use to calculate grades please let me know...

Thanks.

P.S. I know an extra 1.4 of a mark isn't going to exactly change my degree classification but its just to simply put my mind at ease so I will gain a better idea of when/how they calculate my grades for the next two upcoming years.
    Please don't tell me you're doing Mathematics or Economics.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Please don't tell me you're doing Mathematics or Economics.
    Computer Science, apparently. Maybe it's less of a mathsy subject than I always thought.:dontknow:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.