Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just some financial advice really... I'm thinking of spending a month in New Zealand for my electives... but I'm not sure how much I need to set aside for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    Hi guys, just some financial advice really... I'm thinking of spending a month in New Zealand for my electives... but I'm not sure how much I need to set aside for it?
    Look on some New Zealand medical school websites and you should find the costs for the actual placement set out for you, including application costs, visa costs, medical costs etc. For flights just look around on some websites, e.g. opodo. Then you'll need money for living expenses...

ReputationRep:
    New Zealand isn't that expensive but it depends on what you want to do - travelling (especially internal flights) and all the adventure sports can really add to the cost. Most of the medical schools down there do charge a fair amount of money to organise electives but this can be circumvented.

I went to Otago for my elective, pm me if you want more info and I'll go back over my bank statements.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on several things, such as how much travelling/activities you want to do, whether you get any free accomodation with the hospital and just how careful with money you are.

1 month in NZ....

Flight: ~£800
    Food/drink: ~£120
    Accomodation: if free with hospital = bonus. Otherwise this can get expensive ($25/night at hostels)
    Skydive: £130 (it's a must)
    Travelling: can either hire car/campervan or get on one of the coach tours (~£250)

I'd say ~£2000 for a good month

ReputationRep:
    When I applied for a grant my working budget was £2,600 for a 10 week elective - where New Zealand was the holiday week. I got to that figure by doing what theatrical said really = tallying up: flights, other travelling costs, projected accommodation costs, fees for placements, predicted living costs, fun things/spending money etc.

My costs budget would have been higher if I'd had to pay for all placements (I didn't), if I'd had to pay for accommodation for all placements (didn't) & if the holiday part had been by myself (it wasn't). But the exchange rate seemed especially bad whilst I was away - $1.4 to the £?!

I could calculate how much I actually spent, but... I'd rather just look at photos & reminisce about how awesome it was. :o: & I was lucky in getting that grant I applied for...

ReputationRep:
    Mine was expensive, but it was the only thing that i've really splashed out on since i've been at medical school and I wanted to make the most of it.

I went to Jamaica with 10 days in NY on the way home which was fantastic.

Jamaica was expensive because of: flights, accomodation, fees to the uni (GRRR) and then general living expenses and elective insurance. Probably cost about 2K but was bumped up by the fact that I had to change my flights three times because I got ill just before I went away.

Was worth it for the trip of a lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Mine was expensive, but it was the only thing that i've really splashed out on since i've been at medical school and I wanted to make the most of it.

I went to Jamaica with 10 days in NY on the way home which was fantastic.

Jamaica was expensive because of: flights, accomodation, fees to the uni (GRRR) and then general living expenses and elective insurance. Probably cost about 2K but was bumped up by the fact that I had to change my flights three times because I got ill just before I went away.

Was worth it for the trip of a lifetime.
    That sounds amazing....well jealous!

My mum's friend spent 10k + on her daughter's elective at a mission hospital in India and a little travelling. I still have no idea what she spent it on. She spent more in 10 weeks than I spend in London for a year! And she tried to convert people on the job which I didn't think was appropriate...

ReputationRep:
    My elective (including a brief jaunt in NZ) set me back about 3.5k. A large amount of that was in flights (£1,800).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca2389)
    That sounds amazing....well jealous!

My mum's friend spent 10k + on her daughter's elective at a mission hospital in India and a little travelling. I still have no idea what she spent it on. She spent more in 10 weeks than I spend in London for a year! And she tried to convert people on the job which I didn't think was appropriate...
    It was. I'm missing the cocktails right now.

People that try to convert people really piss me off :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I miss cocktails too.

I had the most amazing long pink one (see previous facebook profile pictures!) with a pink flower and patterned leaf decoration at the fanciest place on my tropical island, in a bar overlooking the sea, paid for by the doctor. Good times.

(Original post by Spencer Wells)
    My elective (including a brief jaunt in NZ) set me back about 3.5k. A large amount of that was in flights (£1,800).
    Looks like I'm a cheap elective-r! :eek: & ours seemed pretty similar. Or I'm just really bad at guestimating - perhaps I should go back through the statements...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)

Looks like I'm a cheap elective-r! :eek: & ours seemed pretty similar. Or I'm just really bad at guestimating - perhaps I should go back through the statements...
    Ah but as well as the tropical island my elective involved going to Vegas and a roadtrip around the american southwest. And New Years in Sydney with Dr *******. I spent a lot of money on shoes, and a cowboy hat, and diving equipment (see Facebook photos and ask my ex-flatmate and elective buddy Dr ****** for details). Plus I spent an awful lot of money (?500) using my mobile.

ReputationRep:
    Ah but as well as the tropical island my elective involved going to Vegas and a roadtrip around the american southwest. And New Years in Sydney with Dr <very googleable name> I spent a lot of money on shoes, and a cowboy hat, and diving equipment (see Facebook photos and ask my ex-flatmate and elective buddy Dr <also very googleable name> for details). Plus I spent an awful lot of money (?500) using my mobile.
    Ah yes, I am jealous.
    Well of the Vegas part not the phone bill - I quite fancied a stop-over via there too & it probably would have saved money in the long term (Vegas wedding!) but I was vetoed. :rolleyes:

Merely Dr? 'His Esteemed Mess President Dr...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Merely Dr? 'His Esteemed Mess President Dr...'
    He can esteemedly kiss my *** ::p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    I miss cocktails too.

I had the most amazing long pink one (see previous facebook profile pictures!) with a pink flower and patterned leaf decoration at the fanciest place on my tropical island, in a bar overlooking the sea, paid for by the doctor. Good times.
    I saw, it looked awesome!

Generally allowing people (read men) to buy you drinks in Jamaica is a bad idea . I bought all mine myself. But they were lovely all the same.

ReputationRep:
    probably go down the road for mine.

and save my money to go on oliday ....to vegas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    and save my money to go on oliday ....to vegas!
    Or just do what I did and go to Vegas on the way back from your elective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Generally allowing people (read men) to buy you drinks in Jamaica is a bad idea . I bought all mine myself. But they were lovely all the same.
    We thought the doctor reputable enough, though!

The men on the island were classic - good thing we were both fairly familiar with male banter (boaties) as we did attract a fair amount of european-looking-novelty-value attention. My favourite:
    'Do you have a boyfriend? Oh... how about a boyfriend for here?' & then when the fiance actually did exist & arrived on the island & accompanied us to the clubs on the last weekend... :giggle:

It feels like so long ago!

ReputationRep:
    ^ You should have taken to wearing a frangipani over your right ear (or was it left - I never got my head around the nuances of that custom).

ReputationRep:
    ^ You should have taken to wearing a frangipani over your right ear (or was it left - I never got my head around the nuances of that custom).

Oh, we did. Not frangipani though - there was a pretty red flower that grew near the hospital. :p:

<tangent>
    Did you get to see frangipani bark in action for stonefish venom? We did - which was awesome, in a geeky elective-experience way...

ReputationRep:
    There wasn't much stonefish on Raro, people tended to avoid swimming where they were known to be, so no. Plenty of ciguatera though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.