Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think mine cost around £1600 for 7 weeks in Swaziland. About half of which was flights. But my accommodation was insanely cheap and I didn't have to pay any fees or anything to the hospital (though I did make a donation to them), so most of that was on weekend trips to more touristy places.

ReputationRep:
    how do you go about organising electives.? just out of curiosity..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presidentofwhat?)
    how do you go about organising electives.? just out of curiosity..
    Lol, quite an open question...

basically you need to figure out where you want to go or if you want to do anything very specific (that are done only in a few places). Then you see what's available in that country or region, then you email EVERYONE.

ReputationRep:
    Do you contact universities or the hospitals themselves? How do you find out which places are going to charge you for spending time with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Do you contact universities or the hospitals themselves? How do you find out which places are going to charge you for spending time with them?
    It depends where you want to go. In some countries you need to go through university and in others it is best to approach hospitals or even individual consultants directly. Someplaces have websites for elective students that outline exaclty who to contact, what the application process is and how much it is going to cost you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    This book is quite a good starting point (your med school library may well have a copy). The MDU also have an elective database, and your medical school library might have copies of previous years' students' reports (I know we do). It depends what sort of place you want to go to - if it's a big teaching hospital, particularly in the USA/Canada/Australia, they may well have special programmes - though bear in mind the US ones can be VERY expensive. If it's in the back of beyond in Africa, you'll probably just have to contact whatever e-mail address they give and hope for the best!

ReputationRep:
    Did any of you finalists (or beyond!) apply for a bursary/society prize for electives? Are they worth bothering with, or insanely competetive?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for my college's travel bursary but that was only a small amount. Unfortunately as my elective was so last minute I couldn't apply for any of the big awards (there was one in particular I was eligible for, something to do with electives in Commonwealth countries, but I didn't have time to apply).

I won the report prize afterwards though, which was a nice bonus!

ReputationRep:
    I got a £2k scholarship for mine, crazyh has just got the same one - definitely worth bothering.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.