Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Need some advice on how to approach this watch

OK, I have had a crush on my hairdresser, who is a guy my age (and straight!) for the whole time I've known him, which is about two years. I've always had a boyfriend and he's always had girlfriends, but whenever I've seen him we've been very flirty, and message each other on facebook sometimes.

We are now both single and although I've been going to someone else, I want to go back to having him cut my hair mainly because I like him quite a lot. The problem is I have no idea whether he actually likes me, as obviously a male hairdresser is likely to be flirty with all the girls who come in.

I don't particularly want a relationship, just some no strings attached fun really. How should I approach him, if at all? I am quite confident but don't want to make a knob of myself by asking him to go for a drink and him saying he's not interested. Would appreciate a guy's opinion on this.

[anon or delete please as I don't want mutual friends to see this]

ReputationRep:
    Ask him if he can cut your hair at your house. In your bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossManSingh)
    Ask him if he can cut your hair at your house. In your bedroom.
    LOL
    just talk to him the worst thing that can happen is him saying that hes not interested ... i think

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure he's straight?:P

Better to have tried and failed than never tried at all!
    Ask him; you've got nothing to loose. If worst comes to worst, you'll have to find a ew hairdresser, which isn't hard to achieve.
    Good Luck!

(Original post by Mts786)
    LOL
    just talk to him the worst thing that can happen is him saying that hes not interested ... i think
    Lol, yes, but then I look like an idiot (and I live in a very small town so I'd see him a lot) plus I lose my hairdresser! I was thinking of asking for a 'home visit' but that might not be the most subtle thing to do. Lol.

I'm not going to ask him straight out, I need advice on how to do it in a more roundabout way.

ReputationRep:
    If your fairly close to him, ask a group of friends out for an evening. You can then slyly make your move!

That's the problem, we're not close and there's no group of friends I could invite that he would feel comfortable with I don't think - he's quite grungey/indie and I'm quite girly which is also a potential barrier to him actually fancying me....hmm this is fraught with difficulty, maybe I'll just abandon him!

ReputationRep:
    at the end of your haircut as you're paying just go, "fancy going for a drink later?" or something... then if he doesnt want to, you never have to see him again and the embarrassment will only be for those few seconds as you walk out

ReputationRep:
    Like m45 said, better asking if he fancies a drink...that way your just being friendly and not necessarily putting yourself out there. He says no, just brush it off...give it a few weeks and you can still have him as your hairdresser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OK, I have had a crush on my hairdresser, who is a guy my age (and straight!) for the whole time I've known him, which is about two years. I've always had a boyfriend and he's always had girlfriends, but whenever I've seen him we've been very flirty, and message each other on facebook sometimes.

We are now both single and although I've been going to someone else, I want to go back to having him cut my hair mainly because I like him quite a lot. The problem is I have no idea whether he actually likes me, as obviously a male hairdresser is likely to be flirty with all the girls who come in.

I don't particularly want a relationship, just some no strings attached fun really. How should I approach him, if at all? I am quite confident but don't want to make a knob of myself by asking him to go for a drink and him saying he's not interested. Would appreciate a guy's opinion on this.

[anon or delete please as I don't want mutual friends to see this]
    I would wait until you see him out. make sure he is still single. Get chatting and then when in a club get a bit closer and do the whole arm stroking thing. If you get a vibe that he is interested chuck him against the wall and snog his face off. bit of grinding wouldnt go a miss either.

Girls taking some control is majorly sexy IMO :yes:

(Original post by jesty)
    I would wait until you see him out. make sure he is still single. Get chatting and then when in a club get a bit closer and do the whole arm stroking thing. If you get a vibe that he is interested chuck him against the wall and snog his face off. bit of grinding wouldnt go a miss either.

Girls taking some control is majorly sexy IMO :yes:
    Well I quite wanted to ask..I've been told I'm attractive and have a good figure, when I go out clubbing I usually see a guy I like and can get with him quite easily if I want to, it's just different because this guy has the best personality ever so it's not just physical.

He is def still single and (cos the town is so small) I bet I could guess exactly which bars and clubs he'd go to and on what night, so perhaps this is my best bet. If a girl is quite fit and up for it, and you get on, as a guy are you ever going to be saying no to that?

ReputationRep:
    ask him to be the pizza guy so you can ask for more meat with your pizza :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Go get your hair cut about lunch time ish and ask what he's doing for his break, if he mentions going to a cafe for a sandwich say something like "oohh do you know what? I wish I never asked you I'm starving now, I'll have to pop along with you" or something, he can't say no now.

ReputationRep:
    He is def still single and (cos the town is so small) I bet I could guess exactly which bars and clubs he'd go to and on what night, so perhaps this is my best bet. If a girl is quite fit and up for it, and you get on, as a guy are you ever going to be saying no to that?
    If you're sure you know where he goes on nights out, this would be a good idea. Saves that whole awkward 'wanna go for a drink?' conversation and skips straight to the drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    Go get your hair cut about lunch time ish and ask what he's doing for his break, if he mentions going to a cafe for a sandwich say something like "oohh do you know what? I wish I never asked you I'm starving now, I'll have to pop along with you" or something, he can't say no now.
    I wouldn't like that. In fact I would hate it and I know people who wouldn't go out with a girl they like if she does that. Risky...

ReputationRep:
    Only bring enough money for your haircut, then say, "Oh I haven't enough to tip you, I'll have to buy you a drink sometime to make up for it..."

ReputationRep:
    Well I quite wanted to ask..I've been told I'm attractive and have a good figure, when I go out clubbing I usually see a guy I like and can get with him quite easily if I want to, it's just different because this guy has the best personality ever so it's not just physical.

im even tempted to go round towns pretending im this guy. sounds like he has a good thing coming! haha

Well personally I like a chase as much as anyone else but Im very direct. If i like someone then I like them and I like it when women have the same attitude.

Why is it that we have to go "courting"? why mess around with dates and drinks if you know you like each other? You sounds quite confident which is good so i say dress to impress and go for it.

if its a bar say you need to speak to him outside or somewhere out of prying eyes (just in case the worst should happen and he doesnt like your advances) or if its a club just go to one side and engage in some pure animalistic lust. You have got past the pleasantries!

If I was this guy and you did this my heart would be pounding with excitment at just the shear spontinuity (sp?). Im pretty sure most guys would love it too!

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    Only bring enough money for your haircut, then say, "Oh I haven't enough to tip you, I'll have to buy you a drink sometime to make up for it..."

I like this too. Quite often find its a neutral offer for them as hopefully he will say "oh yes you owe me". good to test the water then still go all out and pin him up IMO

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.