Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont know how badly other IB exam takers were affected, but exeter decided to raise my offer suddenly by 5 points.

For those unaware of the IB system... 5 points is a big difference and can mean a pass or fail.... and id say worth equivalent to a B grade in A-levels (altho this is debatable).

Basically some unis will offer 38 points for a course where the A level requirement is AAA, but exeter were offering 31points for requirements of AAA/AAB. Realising their low offers, they suddenly upped their IB offers.. meaning lot of people were upset at exeter.

I was wondering if anybody had any idea how expectant i should be of gaining a place at exeter through clearing. It was my firm insurance but was unable to make it... and id rather go exeter than my first choice.

Applied to do economics, but my IB maths was really bad (unbelievably bad), so im trying to do something less maths-ish.... like business economics.

Also anybody else thinking exeter may have a deficit of IB pupils, after they suddenly raised their offer, meaning i could get a place more easily?

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    It will depend on the A-level results. If they still have places available they might consider you. How bad was your maths?

I was fortunate that they gave me a reasonable offer of 33 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    It will depend on the A-level results. If they still have places available they might consider you. How bad was your maths?

I was fortunate that they gave me a reasonable offer of 33 points.
    well this is the thing, ive now found out i could have done maths studies instead of maths SL and my unis wouldnt know the difference.

Also exeter should have given me 31, but bumped it to 36 :mad:

i got a 3 in maths SL, could have got 7 in maths studies and all would be plain sailing....

At least i got my diploma tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oddjobong)
    well this is the thing, ive now found out i could have done maths studies instead of maths SL and my unis wouldnt know the difference.

Also exeter should have given me 31, but bumped it to 36 :mad:

i got a 3 in maths SL, could have got 7 in maths studies and all would be plain sailing....

At least i got my diploma tho!
    Yeah, most of the uni's either want higher maths or they don't care if it's standard or studies. I was taking standard but dropped down to studies because it was easier and got a 6

Yeah, I know a lot of people who got higher offers than they were expecting from Exeter, possible due to increased demand. The business school had a 120% increase in applications this year.

You can always look in clearing. Occasionally some good uni's have courses available, like last year I know Southampton had Economics and Politics in clearing.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, most of the uni's either want higher maths or they don't care if it's standard or studies. I was taking standard but dropped down to studies because it was easier and got a 6

Yeah, I know a lot of people who got higher offers than they were expecting from Exeter, possible due to increased demand. The business school had a 120% increase in applications this year.

You can always look in clearing. Occasionally some good uni's have courses available, like last year I know Southampton had Economics and Politics in clearing.

Good luck!

Just spoke to exeter on the phone... the lady i spoke to said they expected places in clearing this year, even though they had ZERO clearing spaces in 2008. (something sounds dodgy)

When asked why, she hesistated saying it was a complicated system, and that they are pretty sure there will be spaces available! Interesting...

Anybody got any clues as to why..... I still think that because of their sudden and unexpected IB offer changes... they have some deficit?!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, maybe their high offers put some people off. I know some people who were planning on having Exeter as their insurance choice but after receiving high offers they didn't put it down at all.

You might be in luck then

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, maybe their high offers put some people off. I know some people who were planning on having Exeter as their insurance choice but after receiving high offers they didn't put it down at all.

You might be in luck then
    Yeah I would suggest that many people have been put off Exeter for the pure fact that some offers have been higher this yeah than were written in the prospectus.

My friend got offered AAB for Politics, but decided to opt for a different uni, even though Exeter was going to be her first choice.

Having said that, they give out high offers due to excess demand from top students.

Fingers crossed for you though OP

I hope perhaps to either come to Exeter, or KCL through clearing/adjustment this year. I might be very lucky though to find a place!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm Exeter said I still have a chance of getting in when I got my results. They wanted 34 (not 30 like it said in the prospectus :P) and I got 25. They also wanted 4 points in at least 2 higher level subjects and I got 6s in Higher Geography and English. So at least I got one of the two conditions of the offer. But I'm pretty sure I stand no chance Not too bothered by it really, Exeter is too far away anyway. I'd still go if they would take me though, they are rated so highly!

ReputationRep:
    well now im slightly struggling to understand exeter...

i decided to ask birmingham (1st choice) to release me cos frankly they sounded as thought they didnt want me, and didnt have much clue about the ib when i asked them... so im pinning my hopes on exeter...

Funny thing is they gave me 35 which was then moved up to 36 when it should have been 31... when i spoke to them on the phone about a week ago... they said they expected by their calculations to have clearing places...

but after email contact with them a few days ago... they dont sound as optimistic... possibly cos they have the a level results now???

also they have referred my application to the "international office" although they wont explain what this is... and even though ive told them about a dozen times im a british student...

its getting to brown stuff hitting big twirly thing time... and frankly im worried... the media as usual seem to make clearing sound very difficult this year

ReputationRep:
    well now im slightly struggling to understand exeter...

i decided to ask birmingham (1st choice) to release me cos frankly they sounded as thought they didnt want me, and didnt have much clue about the ib when i asked them... so im pinning my hopes on exeter...

Funny thing is they gave me 35 which was then moved up to 36 when it should have been 31... when i spoke to them on the phone about a week ago... they said they expected by their calculations to have clearing places...

but after email contact with them a few days ago... they dont sound as optimistic... possibly cos they have the a level results now???

also they have referred my application to the "international office" although they wont explain what this is... and even though ive told them about a dozen times im a british student...

its getting to brown stuff hitting big twirly thing time... and frankly im worried... the media as usual seem to make clearing sound very difficult this year

Exeter have been messing about with their offers for the IB in general this year. They are all, from what I hear, a lot higher than they were previously. I think you should be fine really, you're only one or two points short of what they want.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea about the IB but just want to share what I have heard a few weeks ago when I attended the UK universities Fair with my friends in my place. A representative from Exeter mentioned that the school received a lot more applicants this year and she didn't anticipate clearing places in most popular courses. And they would be quite strict about the offer requirements for local students while for international students, they tend to be slightly more lenient especially for marginal cases.
    I still think that if we miss our grades, it is worth taking the trouble of phoning them ASAP if we have set our heart on Exeter.
    Just hope that no one needs to go through clearing here. 2 more days to go.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycharm)
    I have no idea about the IB but just want to share what I have heard a few weeks ago when I attended the UK universities Fair with my friends in my place. A representative from Exeter mentioned that the school received a lot more applicants this year and she didn't anticipate clearing places in most popular courses. And they would be quite strict about the offer requirements for local students while for international students, they tend to be slightly more lenient especially for marginal cases.
    I still think that if we miss our grades, it is worth taking the trouble of phoning them ASAP if we have set our heart on Exeter.
    Just hope that no one needs to go through clearing here. 2 more days to go.... :confused:

This is the email i have received from exeter regarding my application to the international department:

"The International Office is made up of International Officers, who are in charge of research and specific recruitment for a portfolio of country areas. As a result the International Officers have the authority to review all applications and on the basis of there International knowledge make decisions on applications accordingly. In passing an application to the International Office for review, we provide them with all information on a candidates results as well as the details given on their initial application."

now i still dont know what that means... and yeah i agree with most of you that hopefully exeter have made a mistake with their IB offers and can offer places in clearing.... now i need to call my first choice and ask whether or not they have released me.....

ReputationRep:
    ok so quick update... got off the phone to both first choice b'ham and insurance exeter...

birmingham have released me.. thankfully, and that will show on ucas track on thursday.

EXETER OMG..... the stuff about the international department was complete tosh apparently... they finally realised im a british student... so theyve been stringing me along...

also cherrycharm... i think your rite... they didnt sound too optimistic about places in the business school.....

what i want to know is how come they have been emailing me saying my application has been sent to international department... when it hasnt... surely this is some kind of deception...
    or is it just them stereotyping thinking that someone with my name cant be british!?!

argh the pain is killing me

ReputationRep:
    ok so quick update... got off the phone to both first choice b'ham and insurance exeter...

birmingham have released me.. thankfully, and that will show on ucas track on thursday.

EXETER OMG..... the stuff about the international department was complete tosh apparently... they finally realised im a british student... so theyve been stringing me along...

also cherrycharm... i think your rite... they didnt sound too optimistic about places in the business school.....

what i want to know is how come they have been emailing me saying my application has been sent to international department... when it hasnt... surely this is some kind of deception...
    or is it just them stereotyping thinking that someone with my name cant be british!?!

argh the pain is killing me
    I do feel your pain after reading your posts again. Do you give up Birmingham because you consider your chance of getting into Exeter higher if it becomes your only choice? Why are you so sure that you can't get into Birmingham?
    I really hope that you can get the offer from Exeter after making such change. I guess they really mistook you as an international student and tried to calm you down by saying that your case has been directed to the International Office and it's highly possible that they would consider your application in a more generous manner in case you couldn't meet the grades, if you were an overseas student.
    I see no point of deliberate deception here but rather it's sort of oversight. Mere guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycharm)
    I do feel your pain after reading your posts again. Do you give up Birmingham because you consider your chance of getting into Exeter higher if it becomes your only choice? Why are you so sure that you can't get into Birmingham?
    I really hope that you can get the offer from Exeter after making such change. I guess they really mistook you as an international student and tried to calm you down by saying that your case has been directed to the International Office and it's highly possible that they would consider your application in a more generous manner in case you couldn't meet the grades, if you were an overseas student.
    I see no point of deliberate deception here but rather it's sort of oversight. Mere guess!
    I gave up birmingham because of many reasons... ive had my results for over a month so ive had time to think...

basically i sort of got the impression from phonecalls that they were going to be pretty full and unlikely to give me a place... plus the woman in charge of me tried to pressure me into being released... so less hassle for them maybe....

also i thought i would have better chances at exeter... cos they said that they like IB students and that they messed up some of the offers so it was more likely they were going to have places available and also its a very nice university.

im really pissed off about this whole international thing... since ive been in contact via email about 7 or 8 times in the past month... and every time saying that my application has been passed to the international office... even though i specifically said to them that i was a british student.

Most recent email was a few days ago... when they still said my application was being CONSIDERED by the international office... so i call them up today and they said "oooops sorry".... quite annoying. seeing as though the woman i spoke to jus told me in about 10 secs that i was a british student (no really... i only told you about a dozen times). I just think it was because of my name... and also international students bring the money... either way big mistake from exeter and put me on a big downer since i thought i had a chance...

as james may would say "oh ****!"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.