Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that many American universities have student housing for members of the LGBT community. Is this option available in any universities in the UK? If so, which ones? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It isn't available because it is essentially segregation (maybe not intentionally) of the LGBT community.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that exists in any of the uni's in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    So there are no universities that offer this? And is it really segregation if it is a choice whether to live in these places or not? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenjiButton)
    So there are no universities that offer this? And is it really segregation if it is a choice whether to live in these places or not? :/
    It encourages the LGBT community to segregate themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be a good idea if there was?

ReputationRep:
    But I would feel more comfortable with other LGBT people as opposed to a place potentially with people who will discriminate against who I am. There's also the aspect of a support system there.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of it existing, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Grow up. It's 2009 and you'll be going to stay with students. Nobody cares that you're gay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    But I would feel more comfortable with other LGBT people as opposed to a place potentially with people who will discriminate against who I am. There's also the aspect of a support system there.
    Well, every university does have an active LGBT society, and also in general the UK population isn't as homophobic as that in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Well, every university does have an active LGBT society, and also in general the UK population isn't as homophobic as that in the US.
    Exactly this, I believe if LGBT people want to be accepted then segregating ourselves is not the way to go. In some respects America is far worse, and in my opinion a society is more than good enough. There is support in every university, LGBT accommodation is not required. x

ReputationRep:
    Homophobic views are, by and large, the minority view in the UK, particularly with students. If you receive homophobic abuse or are discriminated against because of your sexuality, you just report it and things will be done to stop it. Unlike in the Bible Bashing US, we have rights here that protect us from hate crimes and discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a idea. Lets also build Middle Eastern housing for the Mulisms so they don't feel discrimated against! I mean why not, doesn't look bad at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Homophobic views are, by and large, the minority view in the UK, particularly with students. If you receive homophobic abuse or are discriminated against because of your sexuality, you just report it and things will be done to stop it. Unlike in the Bible Bashing US, we have rights here that protect us from hate crimes and discrimination.
    College is not even homophobic either. Loads of openly gay people there. Doubt uni will be then.

ReputationRep:
    LOL why do you need different housing just coz ur L/G/B/T ??

ReputationRep:
    I'm just asking if there are unis in the UK which do this. Because if there are, I will take up that accommodation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm just asking if there are unis in the UK which do this. Because if there are, I will take up that accommodation.
    Sorry. None in the UK do as far as I'm aware. As said, though, you shouldn't worry and simply join the LGBT society on arrival.

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure when i applied to accommodation at Birmingham one of the questions was do you want to live in a LGBT flat.

Don't completely take my word for it though- tbh im not gay so maybe i don't understand but i can't see why someone would choose to live in a flat like that and segregate themselves from straight people- surely it would be better to have a mix of all people, just seems a little odd to me.

ReputationRep:
    That's the wrong assuption to start with!

Segregation af any kind is generally discouraged

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if there's any Universities which have accommodation for footballers only? It's just I don't want to be around some of them Rugby types - they have funny shaped balls, for chrissakes!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.