Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Sorry. None in the UK do as far as I'm aware. As said, though, you shouldn't worry and simply join the LGBT society on arrival.
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it on applications though.

ReputationRep:
    BenjiButton

You'll not find accommodation specifically designated for LGBT students at universities in the UK, however if you feel strongly that would prefer to live with other LGBT people I suggest finding a flatshare privately, there are many websites out there that can help you to do this, for example gayshare.co.uk, gumtree etc.

ReputationRep:
    You could try and live with LGBT members in the second year or something, because they are your friends, not because they are gay. I mean you're practically meeting discrimination with discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I know of and quite frankly that would be the worst way to go!

If we really want to live in a society that houses people who tolerate the lifestyles and views of others we should not put them in different areas.
    Imagine that? We'd have to end up having different sections for religions, ethnicities, sexualities, genders etc.

I'm sure at University everybody should be grown up enough to be able to live with people who are different to themselves, accept them, and get on with them?

ReputationRep:
    The thread starter asked a simple questions which really only required a simple answer, I don't think he was looking for a debate. Unfortunately homophobia isn't as uncommon as what you might expect at university. I do not we should be critical of BenjiButton for asking as he is right to have some concerns, after all they are moving to a new country and culture.

ReputationRep:
    When applying for accom. at Birmingham uni one of the questions was something along the lines of - do you want to live in / apply for LGBT accom (as in a flat comprised of all LGBT members).
    So, yes I suppose it does - at least in Brum. (it mentioned it was something to do with they 'found that students wanted this/in a recent survey' or something haha

You should not however, let this affect your decision on where to go to university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.