Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Woman sues her old university because she can't get a job... watch

ReputationRep:
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    I can't see any mention in the article of how good her qualifications were.

ReputationRep:
    In a way I can see her point a little. University (at least in the UK, I assume in the USA also) is more of a business than a school. It's not free, its stupidly expensive.

In that sense, your investing you money and time in order to allow yourself to get a higher paid job (which statistically is true via government surveys). If, by getting a good degree, with a good mark, after investing all the time, effort and a lot of money, you can't get employment, you have paid for nothing of any real value.

I would like to mention that the system in the USA is completely different than ours. It costs waaaay more, student loans are more like bank loans and usually parents save from the childs birth to be able to afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bishman)
    In that sense, your investing you money and time in order to allow yourself to get a higher paid job (which statistically is true via government surveys). If, by getting a good degree, with a good mark, after investing all the time, effort and a lot of money, you can't get employment, you have paid for nothing of any real value.
    Looking at it another way though. Someone buys you a bike, to get from A to B. You spend three years attempting to learn to ride this bike in your back garden, but you still lack the skills needed to ride the bike out on the streets - does that make the bike worthless?
    The degree has done what it was there to do - she's been educated - but unless she's got the personality and attitude to get herself a job, she simply won't - and it's not the fault of the bike, it's a fault with the rider.

ReputationRep:
    Do they have juries in those types of cases in the US? I mean, they really, really should...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Looking at it another way though. Someone buys you a bike, to get from A to B. You spend three years attempting to learn to ride this bike in your back garden, but you still lack the skills needed to ride the bike out on the streets - does that make the bike worthless?
    The degree has done what it was there to do - she's been educated - but unless she's got the personality and attitude to get herself a job, she simply won't - and it's not the fault of the bike, it's a fault with the rider.
    Yes, but the story doesn't show all the other particulars of either the lawsuit or the woman in question. She could be the most employable person in the world, or she could look like crap, never washes and swears at everything at all times.

The fact is, the bike comparison is flawed. My point is, that because a university is a business (which it is), buying a product (in this case a degree) which would allow you to get a job, is not working. This could also be due to the economic climate etc, but in that case, you change the product to make it more appropriate (cost less etc) for the times.

Having looked at the story, she is also suing due to the promises that the university made to help find gradutates a job, with help in applying etc was not followed through, so therefore they did not fulfill the contract when she signed up and paid for the course.

And I am playing devils advocate here, all Im saying is that I can see both sides to this.

ReputationRep:
    Having looked at the story, she is also suing due to the promises that the university made to help find gradutates a job, with help in applying etc was not followed through, so therefore they did not fulfill the contract when she signed up and paid for the course.
    I noticed that too when I read it, and it's probably one of the key points of the lawsuit.

ReputationRep:
    america, sue anyone for anything and you'll probably win!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't happened in this country. It's only a matter of time before graduates from some bottom tier Journalism or Computer Games course file a class action lawsuit against their university for misleading them about job prospects.

For example look at Salford's journalism course description:

http://www.smmp.salford.ac.uk/progra...le.php?id=1761

"The aim is to produce graduates capable of hitting the ground running as competent journalists"
    "You will be well prepared for a career in the media, communications, or information sectors. "

What they fail to mention of course is the fact they have the second worst graduate employment track record of any journalism degree. Sounds like prime grounds for a lawsuit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    I stand by my original statement.
    Though it's good to see why you've tried to explain why I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of a degree is for education in a chosen subject, no? OK, so some of these subjects are vocational e.g. medicine and law, but ultimately the university is there to educate you in these areas. Yes you do (theoretically) become more employable and better-paid because of it, as you know the area more or have skills which are developed through university, but this woman is stupid if she thinks that a degree should guarantee her a job. Perhaps she's just a **** candidate?! Perhaps nobody wants to employ her because she'll sue them?!
    With almost 50% of people in the UK going to university now and 48 graduates applying for every graduate level job over here, I hope she loses so other idiots don't get the wrong idea.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the story doesn't show all the other particulars of either the lawsuit or the woman in question. She could be the most employable person in the world, or she could look like crap, never washes and swears at everything at all times.

The fact is, the bike comparison is flawed. My point is, that because a university is a business (which it is), buying a product (in this case a degree) which would allow you to get a job, is not working. This could also be due to the economic climate etc, but in that case, you change the product to make it more appropriate (cost less etc) for the times.

And I am playing devils advocate here, all Im saying is that I can see both sides to this.
    Yes, but a degree is not (nor is it supposed to be) a ticket to a job. Find me one university which states that each degree course comes with a free job at the end of it.

This woman clearly ISN'T the most employable person ever. I severely doubt that there are no jobs anywhere; particularly given that she's only been 'looking' for three months.

It's possible that her university haven't even offered her support, but I doubt that's her issue really. I'm sure they would help.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, how sad... And pathetic... the mum is involed! It's a recession, what you expect? And she must have got a crap level...

That's why I'm planning a career in Audiology now. (Almost) guareneeted jobs and it's rewarding as I'll be saving (hearing) :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't happened in this country. It's only a matter of time before graduates from some bottom tier Journalism or Computer Games course file a class action lawsuit against their university for misleading them about job prospects.

For example look at Salford's journalism course description:

http://www.smmp.salford.ac.uk/progra...le.php?id=1761

"The aim is to produce graduates capable of hitting the ground running as competent journalists"
    "You will be well prepared for a career in the media, communications, or information sectors. "

What they fail to mention of course is the fact they have the second worst graduate employment track record of any journalism degree. Sounds like prime grounds for a lawsuit.
    Well, there're not going to empashie that, are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Lol, how sad... And pathetic... the mum is involed! It's a recession, what you expect? And she must have got a crap level...

That's why I'm planning a career in Audiology now. (Almost) guareneeted jobs and it's rewarding as I'll be saving (hearing) :p:
    On behalf of the field of Psychology, I thank you for changing career goals.

:rofl: My days... where to start?

Tbh, university is supposed to make you independent, i.e. having the independence to finding your own job!

If she wins, words can express it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    On behalf of the field of Psychology, I thank you for changing career goals.
    It includes Psychology in it...

Oh come on, I was rusty! Been a year and all...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hahha. If she wins, there will be a lot of people following her footsteps.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by emmie19)

My audiologist didn't save my hearing but she did make life a lot easier for me :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to open this chocolate bar. I know, I'll sue the company that made it :idea:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.