Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was just wondering if there is any other way to contact people on your course/accommodation blocks before university starts.

Obviously you have this forum, but there would be loads of people that don't use TSR. So, is there any way?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Facebook. Join the groups associated with your university/course/accomodation etc. I met 2 of my flat mates, 2 course mates and some of my block before I even got there....seems a bit weird at first but everyone was doing it at the time!

ReputationRep:
    Another vote for facebook, I am starting this September and have already met a flatmate and loads of people in our block at accommodation. There will probably be a freshers group then maybe individual groups for the different accommodations.

ReputationRep:
    I joined a few groups on Facebook and posted my details, so hopefully some people will see my posts and contact me!

If not, guess I'll have to go to University knowing absolutely no-one ha

ReputationRep:
    Facebook's the best way.

I also used TSR and yougofurther last year .

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would not bother that much.

A few years ago when I started there was a site called UniVillage. Or something like that. i spoke to a few people on there before going to uni, never spoke to any of them when I got there, none of us ended up at the same halls or in the same social circles.

Going to uni knowing no-one is probably the best thing to do in my opinion, you can turn up and be however and whatever you want to be, and no one has any pre conceived perceptions of you. You will meet loads of people in the first couple of days, get to know as many of them as you can, knock on the next few doors around you and introduce yourself, hang out in the common room, go out on the organised trips. everyone else is new too! and will want to know you as much as you want to get to know them.

Just go with the flow, don't try too hard and just meet and get to know as many people as possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Another vote for facebook, I am starting this September and have already met a flatmate and loads of people in our block at accommodation. There will probably be a freshers group then maybe individual groups for the different accommodations.
    how did you meet a flat mate? have you already been given your blocks and all that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    how did you meet a flat mate? have you already been given your blocks and all that?
    Yes we have our flat and room numbers at Edinburgh, even have our telephone numbers too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Yes we have our flat and room numbers at Edinburgh, even have our telephone numbers too.
    hmm that seems strange considering many may end up missing their grades

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Leeds Met in september and I've got my room number cos I'm unconditional, they aren't going to allocate rooms to people without their results

ReputationRep:
    Stand outside the university with a huge "Politics/Law/Psychology 2009, anyone?"-poster :yes:

ReputationRep:
    facebook

ReputationRep:
    A site for this is yougo! http://yougo.co.uk/
    Quoted from the page: "It's the website where you can meet people doing your course, or going to your university or college of choice before you leave.
    Create your own profile page and take advantage of the student-only areas, such as discussion forums.
    Chat to students in the same situation as you, about anything and everything about a new life in higher education.
    Make friends and talk directly to UCAS, universities and colleges, who all have profile pages on yougo to help you make the big decisions.
    Take part in the regular webchats.
    Get all the essential information about your journey through the UCAS application process."

Hope this helps we we're told about this by school just before the summer :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayrah)
    A site for this is yougo! http://yougo.co.uk/
    Quoted from the page: "It's the website where you can meet people doing your course, or going to your university or college of choice before you leave.
    Create your own profile page and take advantage of the student-only areas, such as discussion forums.
    Chat to students in the same situation as you, about anything and everything about a new life in higher education.
    Make friends and talk directly to UCAS, universities and colleges, who all have profile pages on yougo to help you make the big decisions.
    Take part in the regular webchats.
    Get all the essential information about your journey through the UCAS application process."

Hope this helps we we're told about this by school just before the summer :]
    Im pretty much in the same position as the OP, and iv tried this website and it is pretty terrible because:

a) Hardly any people (probably because people cant be arsed to make yet another profile after things like facebook, bebo etc and that its new.

and...

b)The search thing onto that website is poor when looking for other students, giving random results.

But its worth ago though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabbir.M)
    Im pretty much in the same position as the OP, and iv tried this website and it is pretty terrible because:

a) Hardly any people (probably because people cant be arsed to make yet another profile after things like facebook, bebo etc and that its new.

and...

b)The search thing onto that website is poor when looking for other students, giving random results.

But its worth ago though
    Oh i see - i had never actually tried it lol - just as i read the question i remembered it from school - oh well - yeah facebook & bebos better :]

ReputationRep:
    Well I have added a few people from facebook recently.

But I agree with the above post, I doubt I will be meeting up with any of them once I get there, unless I meet them by coincidence when I get to university.

I might just rambo it and see what happens when I get to uni. I think I am quite outgoing so I hopefully won't have too much trouble!

If anyone is in Opal, feel free to add my facebook too.

www.facebook.com/Jordon.Barnett

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.