Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    At A level Maths do you still need to do all that shape stuff? I like maths, but I'm not so good at that stuff
    i'm not entirely sure what u mean by shape stuff lol. if you mean geometry then there is some of it in A level, but its not a huge amount

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nytram12)
    i'm not entirely sure what u mean by shape stuff lol. if you mean geometry then there is some of it in A level, but its not a huge amount
    I mean like the Shape, Space and measure stuff.

My GCSE shape space measure I had to retake since I got a B first time, and I didn't enjoy it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    I am almost certain that I will do better in further maths. Like you, I thoroughly enjoy maths, and found it very easy at GCSE. Economics is only a recent interest.
    well, finding it easy at GCSE is a good indicator of potential to do well at A level you definitely have to put much more effort in revising and making sure you understand each module. so long as you realise that and can take revision seriously (and effectively) you'll do well in F Maths

However you do need to find out how its taught. at my school the have enough teachers to have F Maths as a separate class. we get thru work very quickly and we did the whole of the maths A level in one year. But i know that most places do F Maths alongside the normal maths A level over the two years, which will make it harder as you have to know pretty much all of Core 1-4 to be able to do the Further Pure modules properly. I'm sure you can appreciate the difficulty posed by doing C1, C2 and FP1 alongside eachother when you need alot of stuff from C3 and 4 for FP1

My GCSE shape space measure I had to retake since I got a B first time, and I didn't enjoy it at all.
    You learn new methods for finding the volume of a cone and a frustum. You learn about transformations of graphs rather than transformation of shapes.

You do a lot more vector work at A Level. You learn about new notation for representing vectors. It's quite interesting actually and not as restricted as at GCSE.

There's also more Trigonometry too.

ReputationRep:

lol, now i realise exactly how imersed ive become in the A level course as i can't remember what that entails. the ways GCSE splits maths up are pretty much completely ignored now lol

ReputationRep:
    decide on actuary or medicine first,
    otherwise try and do five subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zohair09)
    decide on actuary or medicine first,
    otherwise try and do five subjects
    This. Decide on either career path or take 5 A levels, reasons being top med schools tend to discriminate against Further Maths and Maths combinations and see it as 1 A level. I think the best combination is Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology. This will ensure backing for the doctor route while providing a background in maths for actuary. Decide which career you really want to persue after AS levels as it would be near impossible to write a good PS for Medicine and Actuary Science. Also take into account what universities you are aiming to apply for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    This. Decide on either career path or take 5 A levels, reasons being top med schools tend to discriminate against Further Maths and Maths combinations and see it as 1 A level. I think the best combination is Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology. This will ensure backing for the doctor route while providing a background in maths for actuary. Decide which career you really want to persue after AS levels as it would be near impossible to write a good PS for Medicine and Actuary Science. Also take into account what universities you are aiming to apply for.
    Even with the maths +further maths 1 a level discrimination, wouldn't med schools consider economics to be worth less than FM since its less related? Will I have a life with 5 A levels? The uni's im thinking about right now are cambridge, oxford, imperial and LSE
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you are thinking of medicine, you need to read this:

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/FM_a...al_schools.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nytram12)
    I'm sure you can appreciate the difficulty posed by doing C1, C2 and FP1 alongside eachother when you need alot of stuff from C3 and 4 for FP1
    doing fp1 in this manner didn't seem to pose much of a problem to me, yeh the content was challenging but it helps you understand core 1 and 2 better, thus reducing the workload in them...

ReputationRep:
    Even with the maths +further maths 1 a level discrimination, wouldn't med schools consider economics to be worth less than FM since its less related? Will I have a life with 5 A levels? The uni's im thinking about right now are cambridge, oxford, imperial and LSE
    Seems as you want to do medicine from this post, they might see it as worth less however they might also like the contrasting subject to 2 sciences and maths. Shows your varied, although if you want to goto oxbridge imperial or LSE then you will be up against people who either have Maths, Further Maths, a Science and Economics for Economics courses or Maths and usually 3 sciences for Medicine so you will be up against heavy competition. You really need to decide on what you want to do later on. You could do five AS Maths Further Maths Economics Chemistry and Biology which would be hard work or cut it down to 4 for a given career field.

(I'm not too entirely sure on the Medical side of competition as I plan to do Economics, but I know in each fields the competition is of a very high standard so you need to be prepared especially as your looking at top unis.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee_91)
    doing fp1 in this manner didn't seem to pose much of a problem to me, yeh the content was challenging but it helps you understand core 1 and 2 better, thus reducing the workload in them...
    hmm fair enough. given the choice tho i's prefer to learn it sequentially

ReputationRep:
    ok, just saying "i'm clever enough for those unis" suggests to me you should not even worry about doing 5 AS-levels, in fact you should consider doing 6 because you are aiming high,
    you can have a life with 5 AS-levels
    med schools generally prefer economics as it is a writing subject and some don't regard FM as even a subject,
    for economics at a good uni, you would need maths, FM, economics and 1 other,
    best bet is to try and do 5 (you can always drop when you know what you want to do) for at least AS-level and then drop 1 after the first year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    I'd probably choose between doctor and actuary first as they aren't exactly very similar lol.
    The advice that has been given to me on this thread has been brilliant, I would like to thank everyone. But after deep thought an consideration, I think this is the best advice to follow. I think that doctor is the best option. Actuary is going to be an emergency precaution that only requires a maths degree.
    So what is the ideal A level choice for a career in medicine?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The advice that has been given to me on this thread has been brilliant, I would like to thank everyone. But after deep thought an consideration, I think this is the best advice to follow. I think that doctor is the best option. Actuary is going to be an emergency precaution that only requires a maths degree.
    So what is the ideal A level choice for a career in medicine?
    I am actually going to be an actuary in the future and have applied for actuarial science for 4 out of my 5 options (the other being maths and statistics) and that is why I looked on this thread.

Being an actuary does not require just a maths degree. There are 15 proffessional exams that you can take to go from being a trainee actuary to a fully-qualified one. Most take actuarial science as a degree instead of maths as this grants exemptions from the exams. It's a proffession that requires you to be dedicated and really love your numbers. It's not in any way similar to being a doctor and it's definitely not something you can just do as a backup option. It's a very tough career no matter how intelligent you are. I mean, all my actuarial science offers need at least 2As and most reccommend further maths and AAA. It definitely does not require just a maths degree.

In regards to your question though, I'd stay clear of further maths if you're set on being a doctor. If you really want to try being an actuary if the doctor thing doesn't work out, which I strongly reccommend against, do further maths as that'll help in a numerate degree no end.

ReputationRep:
    whats the alternative to further maths other than physics?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    whats the alternative to further maths other than physics?

What do you mean? In terms of a numerate A level? Chemistry maybe.

If I were you I'd think carefully about these careers and know exactly what A levels universities like you to have. I really wouldn't go for further maths unless you just think maths is itneresting and want an A level for fun on the side, or if you're serious about going into finance or engineering or something like that.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.