Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently going to be entering my 4th yr in september with joint honors german and japanese degree, but im getting kinda worried about what I want to do afterwards, and also if i'm really going to be proficient enough in the languages in a working environment (especially with German, as it seems on my german course, writing essays in english about germany seems more important to the lecturers).

I'm thinking that a translation career would be a big option for me, seeing as I really don't want to go into teaching at all. But I also keep thinking whether or not ive chosen the right degree as really in the past year or so, I've kinda wished I'd of chosen a more technical degree like computers or a science to be honest, but as im going into the 4th year now i see it would be a complete waste to give it up. Before studying at uni ppl kept saying that languages are needed everywhere n stuff so seemed like a good idea, but as im more interested in computers isit still possible to get into this industry with just joint honors language degree, or would i need to do some other course aswell?

ReputationRep:
    Can you do an paid internship of some sort to get some experience in the translation field? I guess you could do something computer and languages related.

I find it a bit weird that you write essays in English about Germany. How come the uni make you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farox)
    Hey, I'm currently going to be entering my 4th yr in september with joint honors german and japanese degree, but im getting kinda worried about what I want to do afterwards, and also if i'm really going to be proficient enough in the languages in a working environment (especially with German, as it seems on my german course, writing essays in english about germany seems more important to the lecturers).

I'm thinking that a translation career would be a big option for me, seeing as I really don't want to go into teaching at all. But I also keep thinking whether or not ive chosen the right degree as really in the past year or so, I've kinda wished I'd of chosen a more technical degree like computers or a science to be honest, but as im going into the 4th year now i see it would be a complete waste to give it up. Before studying at uni ppl kept saying that languages are needed everywhere n stuff so seemed like a good idea, but as im more interested in computers isit still possible to get into this industry with just joint honors language degree, or would i need to do some other course aswell?
    What uni are you at? Sheffield? There are countless things you could do... You could go into translation, do a Law conversion course, go into the teaching profession, pursue an academic career... Most graduate schemes don't specify a particular degree, so most would be open to you...

ReputationRep:
    OP, you could do an MSc Computer Science (conversion), if you wanted. I think it's mainly about programming though, which you may already be able to do...

Also: are you interested in journalism? I think there you could very nicely combine "computers" (in a more applied sense; online news, blogs, applets etc.) and a language degree. Not so easy to get into though, or so I've heard...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 3, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.