Turn on thread page Beta

Why would anyone want to fight for this country? watch

ReputationRep:
    It defies belief, quite frankly. In Iraq and Afghanistan, our interventions have caused untold suffering and have brought no benefits whatsoever to the UK (or at least not to the average tax payer). We are still America's little puppet. Perhaps if the USA and Britain didn't try to police the world, then 9/11 and 7/7 wouldn't have happened. Why don't Norway or Sweden have terrorist attacks like that? It's because they keep the hell out of other country's affairs. And so should we.

I must say that I'm rather contemptuous of soldiers. It seems to me that most of them do not question why they are fighting for one moment. Either that, or they fall for the government clap-trap about defending 'liberty' the world over.

It's been the same throughout history. The passing of the last WWI veteran resulted in a celebration of his life and bravery. His desire to fight for 'King and country' was praised. But why the hell should we fight for this country and why should we consider him a hero? In my opinion, the real heroes were those who refused to fight in the First World War - we stood to gain absolutely nothing. It was just a pathetic dispute between the wealthy ***** at the top and, as usual, they used ordinary people to do their dirty work. The soldiers of that war were not heroes; they were unfortunate tools of an evil empire.

I should stress here that I consider the Second World War to be a different issue. There was a genuine cause in this instance; we needed to stop fascism and genocide. I'm not a strict pacifist, although I still think the Scandanavians were wiser to let other nations sort it out.

Nationalists are uneducated at best; brainwashed morons at worst. Why anyone would want to join the army and fight for a piece of land with arbitrary borders and governments that don't really give a flying **** about us and never have . . . is just beyond me.

Does anyone else agree?

ReputationRep:
    No.

You draw the distinction of WW2 being 'different', can you clarify your reasoning here? War is okay to stop facism and genocide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    It defies belief, quite frankly. In Iraq and Afghanistan, our interventions have caused untold suffering and have brought no benefits whatsoever to the UK (or at least not to the average tax payer). We are still America's little puppet. Perhaps if the USA and Britain didn't try to police the world, then 9/11 and 7/7 wouldn't have happened. Why don't Norway or Sweden have terrorist attacks like that? It's because they keep the hell out of other country's affairs. And so should we.

I must say that I'm rather contemptuous of soldiers. It seems to me that most of them do not question why they are fighting for one moment. Either that, or they fall for the government clap-trap about defending 'liberty' the world over.

It's been the same throughout history. The passing of the last WWI veteran resulted in a celebration of his life and bravery. His desire to fight for 'King and country' was praised. But why the hell should we fight for this country and why should we consider him a hero? In my opinion, the real heroes were those who refused to fight in the First World War - we stood to gain absolutely nothing. It was just a pathetic dispute between the wealthy tw*ts at the top and, as usual, they used ordinary people to do their dirty work. The soldiers of that war were not heroes; they were unfortunate tools of an evil empire.

I should stress here that I consider the Second World War to be a different issue. There was a genuine cause in this instance; we needed to stop fascism and genocide. I'm not a strict pacifist, although I still think the Scandanavians were wiser to let other nations sort it out.

Nationalists are uneducated at best; brainwashed morons at worst. Why anyone would want to join the army and fight for a piece of land with arbitrary borders and governments that don't really give a flying f*ck about us and never have . . . is just beyond me.

Does anyone else agree?
    I'm glad I'm not at uni anymore, there were too many of your type there. Shame I'm "uneducated/ brainwashed" about serving my country...

I disagree, and I don't care to argue about it. Pacifism is fine, if that's what you believe in, but it is -in my opinion- a very naive, ignorant outlook on life; which is why we require the armed services, be it that we're America's pawns or not. You'll find that we're not the only country that are America's pawns too, there's 26 others, and we serve to uphold our commitment to those countries equally as we do America.

:top:

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    why would anyone want to fight for any country?

ReputationRep:
    My ancestors fought at WWI and at WWII and they all were heroes.

But we shouldn't take part in WWI. To save such people like you we attacked our German brothers and finally lost our Impire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wintersunset)
    PRIDE AND GLORY

ReputationRep:
    I advocate war if we were were to be invaded. What would you do? Lie down, because we shouldn't be our own country?

ReputationRep:
    I must say that I'm rather contemptuous of soldiers. It seems to me that most of them do not question why they are fighting for one moment.
    I'm contemptuous of you. The soldiers have signed on to serve the country in times of war for protection or offense at times of war. It is their job, career. Some soldiers go their lives without seeing combat, others die serving their country.
    I'm sure some do question why they are fighting, but that sure as hell wont affect their decision to do their job.

If you don't want to join up fine; don't. Take issue with the overall directives from politicians if you will. But don't have a go at the soldiers who are only doing their job, serving the country.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I agree. No, I wouldn't fight. At all. For any country.

You do have a point, although... war is OK to stop fascism? Really? Do you know what fascism is?

Anyway, war sucks and we shouldn't have any. I'm gonna go listen to War Pigs now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    PRIDE AND GLORY
    not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    No.

You draw the distinction of WW2 being 'different', can you clarify your reasoning here? War is okay to stop facism and genocide?
    I do not beieve that we should intervene in another country to prevent it; I believe that we should protect ourselves. Defence is justifiable; aggression is not. We do not have a duty to protect other people. Usually nations that adopt this policy are never embroiled in severe conflict. I mentoined Scandanavia as a prime example of this.

In answer to your other post: it's willing soldiers that make politicians' plans possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wintersunset)
    Precisely.

ReputationRep:
    You seem a little confused as to order. Our interventions occurred subsequently to the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Because of them. And as for 7/7 that was a result of the Iraq War, do you think if we drew out immediatly that would make the Uk any less of a target? Our ongoing operations are reducing the likelihood of domestic terrorist attacks not increasing them. Both the terrorist extremism and training stem from Alqueda in these areas, severing this link reduces the severity and volume of domestic incidents.

Who do you suggest polices the world? Or do you naively think it doesn't need policing?

ReputationRep:

It's been the same throughout history. The passing of the last WWI veteran resulted in a celebration of his life and bravery. His desire to fight for 'King and country' was praised. But why the hell should we fight for this country and why should we consider him a hero? In my opinion, the real heroes were those who refused to fight in the First World War - we stood to gain absolutely nothing. It was just a pathetic dispute between the wealthy tw*ts at the top and, as usual, they used ordinary people to do their dirty work. The soldiers of that war were not heroes; they were unfortunate tools of an evil empire.

Nationalists are uneducated at best; brainwashed morons at worst. Why anyone would want to join the army and fight for a piece of land with arbitrary borders and governments that don't really give a flying f*ck about us and never have . . . is just beyond me.

Does anyone else agree?
    So your attitude is that countries which invade each other should be left to their own devices?

ReputationRep:

Does anyone else agree?
    I agree with some of this.
    I think many people have become de-sensitised to words like 'war' resulting in apathy towards or alienation from decisions our government make... I read a book, Glover's "morality in the 20th century", and it details methods the army use to stop soldiers from thinking too much about what they're doing, not for the sake of success but for their own health. I can't help but think if a human has such a reaction to their 'job' that techniques have to be employed to help prevent rational thought, then there's something fundementally wrong with it.

Pacifism is idealistic, yes, but people who don't support war on the principle that they do not want to support corruption or don't feel the same connection to land/monarchy etc. and have actually considered the consequences of supporting it shouldn't be met with such hostility. I know a lot of people from my old school who've gone into the army as they can't think of anything else to do... i can say with 100% certainty that they don't understand/ don't want to understand/ don't care about what they are actually supporting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    I advocate war if we were were to be invaded. What would you do? Lie down, because we shouldn't be our own country?
    You'll like the trailer.I know.
    That's one of the most nice trailers at youtube on my taste.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjopZCHg0WA

ReputationRep:
    Fight for this country? Are you mad?

ReputationRep:
    Good pension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    I'm glad I'm not at uni anymore, there were too many of your type there. Shame I'm "uneducated/ brainwashed" about serving my country...

I disagree, and I don't care to argue about it. Pacifism is fine, if that's what you believe in, but it is -in my opinion- a very naive, ignorant outlook on life; which is why we require the armed services, be it that we're America's pawns or not. You'll find that we're not the only country that are America's pawns too, there's 26 others, and we serve to uphold our commitment to those countries equally as we do America.

:top:
    There is no rational basis for nationalism, I'm afraid.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.