Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why would anyone want to fight for this country? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    I do not beieve that we should intervene in another country to prevent it; I believe that we should protect ourselves. Defence is justifiable; aggression is not. We do not have a duty to protect other people. Usually nations that adopt this policy are never embroiled in severe conflict. I mentoined Scandanavia as a prime example of this.

In answer to your other post: it's willing soldiers that make politicians' plans possible.
    You do not believe we should intervene to stop genocide? Niice.

Its the past heroic action of willing soldiers that has given you the option to hold the pussy attitude you currently do. With your strategy we would probably be speaking German right now.

"We do not have a duty to protect other people." What about our allies idiot? What would have happened in WW2 if America hadnt come to our aid?

If you see someone getting beaten up on the other side of the street, you would walk away, protect yourself. What a ****. That kind of individualistic attitude is pitiful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    You seem a little confused as to order. Our interventions occurred subsequently to the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Because of them. And as for 7/7 that was a result of the Iraq War, do you think if we drew out immediatly that would make the Uk any less of a target? Our ongoing operations are reducing the likelihood of domestic terrorist attacks not increasing them. Both the terrorist extremism and training stem from Alqueda in these areas, severing this link reduces the severity and volume of domestic incidents.

Who do you suggest polices the world? Or do you naively think it doesn't need policing?
    Wrong. The USA have had military bases all over the world for decades (particularly the Middle East. Bases in Saudi Arabia have provoked vicious protests and anger because they are located on Muslim holy land). Did you know that Saddam came to power in a CIA backed coup? Did you know that the US supplied Al Qaeda with weapons in first place and supported Bin Laden when Russia attempted to invade Afghanistan?

Terrorism in the US and Britain is a result of our interventons abroad.

As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the world can do what it likes. It's not our place to sort out problems in other nations.

ReputationRep:
    Because this is Sparta!!

ReputationRep:
    You do not believe we should intervene to stop genocide? Niice.

Its the past heroic action of willing soldiers that has given you the option to hold the pussy attitude you currently do. With your strategy we would probably be speaking German right now.

"We do not have a duty to protect other people." What about our allies idiot? What would have happened in WW2 if America hadnt come to our aid?

If you see someone getting beaten up on the other side of the street, you would walk away, protect yourself. What a ****. That kind of individualistic attitude is pitiful
    I already said that there are instances in which war is justifiable; WWII being one of them. What I don't say is that you should fight simply because it's the UK you're fighting for. Whether you come from Mongolia or the UK, Hitler was an enemy that needed to be defeated for the benefit of humanity. The fact that you're fighting for Britain, however, means f*ck all. Let me make myslef absolutely clear: I'm not against war, if there is a just cause; I'm against fighting for 'Queen and country' and in the name of national pride. Nothing could be more moronic than all of that 'Land of Hope and Glory' b*llocks.

If I saw a man being beaten up in the street, I would run away. Do you know how many people die as a result of interventions like that? You could be stabbed or beaten up yourself. The best approach is to simply call 999.

ReputationRep:
    You seem a little confused as to order. Our interventions occurred subsequently to the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Because of them. And as for 7/7 that was a result of the Iraq War, do you think if we drew out immediatly that would make the Uk any less of a target?
    I can't believe people still argue that our interventions were because of 9/11, it doesn't make any sense.

Our participation in these wars was probably pivotal in causing 7/7 as well, that's clear if you read the transcripts of the tapes the bombers left.

ReputationRep:
    If I saw a man being beaten up in the street, I would run away. Do you know how many people die as a result of interventions like that? You could be stabbed or beaten up yourself. The best approach is to simply call 999.
    You're a ******* pussy. I bet if you saw someone being raped you'd run away as well.

Grow a pair.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. The USA have had military bases all over the world for decades (particularly the Middle East. Bases in Saudi Arabia have provoked vicious protests and anger because they are located on Muslim holy land). Did you know that Saddam came to power in a CIA backed coup? Did you know that the US supplied Al Qaeda with weapons in first place and supported Bin Laden when Russia attempted to invade Afghanistan?

Terrorism in the US and Britain is a result of our interventons abroad.

As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the world can do what it likes. It's not our place to sort out problems in other nations.
    Surely its the duty of the strong to protect the weak? thats what ive always thought.

You keep mentioning scandanavia, have you really been that thick not to realise that Norway, Sweden and Finland are part of the coalition in Afghanistan? No they dont have any where as near as many troops there as we do but thats because our army is a lot larger than ours but they most certainly have support troops (and civilians) there.

So youre against the Gulf war where Iraq invaded Kuwait and so America should have just let one of their allies get invaded?

Youre against the Falklands war where a foreign country invaded British territory, which the inhabitants most definitely wanted to remain part of Britain?

ReputationRep:
    It defies belief, quite frankly. In Iraq and Afghanistan, our interventions have caused untold suffering and have brought no benefits whatsoever to the UK (or at least not to the average tax payer). We are still America's little puppet. Perhaps if the USA and Britain didn't try to police the world, then 9/11 and 7/7 wouldn't have happened. Why don't Norway or Sweden have terrorist attacks like that? It's because they keep the hell out of other country's affairs. And so should we.

I must say that I'm rather contemptuous of soldiers. It seems to me that most of them do not question why they are fighting for one moment. Either that, or they fall for the government clap-trap about defending 'liberty' the world over.

It's been the same throughout history. The passing of the last WWI veteran resulted in a celebration of his life and bravery. His desire to fight for 'King and country' was praised. But why the hell should we fight for this country and why should we consider him a hero? In my opinion, the real heroes were those who refused to fight in the First World War - we stood to gain absolutely nothing. It was just a pathetic dispute between the wealthy tw*ts at the top and, as usual, they used ordinary people to do their dirty work. The soldiers of that war were not heroes; they were unfortunate tools of an evil empire.

I should stress here that I consider the Second World War to be a different issue. There was a genuine cause in this instance; we needed to stop fascism and genocide. I'm not a strict pacifist, although I still think the Scandanavians were wiser to let other nations sort it out.

Nationalists are uneducated at best; brainwashed morons at worst. Why anyone would want to join the army and fight for a piece of land with arbitrary borders and governments that don't really give a flying f*ck about us and never have . . . is just beyond me.

Does anyone else agree?
    Because the world is a great place and worth fighting for!

ReputationRep:
    It defies belief, quite frankly. In Iraq and Afghanistan, our interventions have caused untold suffering and have brought no benefits whatsoever to the UK (or at least not to the average tax payer). We are still America's little puppet. Perhaps if the USA and Britain didn't try to police the world, then 9/11 and 7/7 wouldn't have happened. Why don't Norway or Sweden have terrorist attacks like that? It's because they keep the hell out of other country's affairs. And so should we.

I must say that I'm rather contemptuous of soldiers. It seems to me that most of them do not question why they are fighting for one moment. Either that, or they fall for the government clap-trap about defending 'liberty' the world over.

It's been the same throughout history. The passing of the last WWI veteran resulted in a celebration of his life and bravery. His desire to fight for 'King and country' was praised. But why the hell should we fight for this country and why should we consider him a hero? In my opinion, the real heroes were those who refused to fight in the First World War - we stood to gain absolutely nothing. It was just a pathetic dispute between the wealthy tw*ts at the top and, as usual, they used ordinary people to do their dirty work. The soldiers of that war were not heroes; they were unfortunate tools of an evil empire.

I should stress here that I consider the Second World War to be a different issue. There was a genuine cause in this instance; we needed to stop fascism and genocide. I'm not a strict pacifist, although I still think the Scandanavians were wiser to let other nations sort it out.

Nationalists are uneducated at best; brainwashed morons at worst. Why anyone would want to join the army and fight for a piece of land with arbitrary borders and governments that don't really give a flying f*ck about us and never have . . . is just beyond me.

Does anyone else agree?
    a better question would be, why would anyone die for this country?

because they are uneducated and very very stupid.

i would not waste my life on any war, even world war 2.

if war ever breaks out ill skip abroad...and return to all the single ladies
    hahaha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    You'll like the trailer.I know.
    That's one of the most nice trailers at youtube on my taste.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjopZCHg0WA
    That's rather worrying. Not quite sure what you're getting at, though, I hope you have no misconceptions. I advocate full, total war, if an enemy force moved against our borders and 'shot first'. Then, I'd say it was quite reasonable and noble to fight for one's country. However, I'm not hawkish in the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    You're a ******* pussy. I bet if you saw someone being raped you'd run away as well.

Grow a pair.
    I have absolutely no problem with being called a 'pussy' if it means that my own safety is preserved.

I would intevene if it was a family member or friend, but nobody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equinoxsolar)

hahaha!
    Exactly! Look after number 1. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It's a pyromaniacs dream job with the exception of being a fire fighter?

ReputationRep:
    In your world, there is no police, you call 999 because Saddam is gassing your family and noone answers the phone, they dont care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    So your attitude is that countries which invade each other should be left to their own devices?
    If it doesn't affect my country (i.e. my life), then yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equinoxsolar)

hahaha!
    Not sure girls will dig a guy with no ****...

ReputationRep:
    In your world, there is no police, you call 999 because Saddam is gassing your family and noone answers the phone, they dont care.
    That's true in reality, because that atrocity happened in 1989 and we didn't do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't affect my country (i.e. my life), then yes.
    What if it is fairly obvious that it will effect your life extremely negatively in the near future?

Say in WW2 as Hitler took over country after country in Europe.. At which point would you enter the war?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Fat Controller)
    That's true in reality, because that atrocity happened in 1989 and we didn't do anything about it.
    So you think we should have done something then?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure girls will dig a guy with no ****...
    They sure as hell won't 'dig' a guy who's dead, either.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.