Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eradicus)
    If conscription were ever introduced into the UK, I'd simply leave the country. We have a large enough stockpile of weapons and aircraft to pose a significant threat to anybody. Sending out foot soldiers is a pointless and unnecessary sacrifice, but I suppose you get weirdos and generally violent people in life, and working for the Army can provide a legal output. Like a hitman for the civil service.

If anybody should threaten us, as I said we have more than enough bombs to deal with them.
    You are an idiot. until the days of Skynet we will always need trained individuals to operate the weapons of modern war.

You cant just throw a stockpile of weapons at an enemy, if its to have any effect it needs to be wielded by experienced professional soldiers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    If you added the death count of them all they probably wouldn't touch the British, just fyi
    How many? Come on. Put a figure out there instead of just chatting statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    thats because the british empire came about during the industrial revolution in which there was a massive population increase and the british empire covered more land and had a higher population than all of those combined but in comparison to the others the British Empire deathcount was lower relatively to its population, just fyi.
    Umm, in comparison to WORLD population at the time, the British break even further into the lead so I have no idea what you are talking about

(Original post by Chrrye)
    As it was volunteers were perfectly adequate for first 2 years of the war, fighting for country and ideals against Germans, surely more heroic than being forced to serve?
    Heroic to be the pawn in a battle between one genocidal colonialist and one aspirational imperialist?? Nah

ReputationRep:
    Denmark, Norway and Finland fought in WWII. Thats 3/4.

ReputationRep:
    How many? Come on. Put a figure out there instead of just chatting statements.
    Well if we're comparing to small pickings like the Romans and the Nazis, then the Indian famines alone are in the tens of millions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    Umm, in comparison to WORLD population at the time, the British break even further into the lead so I have no idea what you are talking about

Heroic to be the pawn in a battle between one genocidal colonialist and one aspirational imperialist?? Nah
    I doubt they will have seen it like that.
    I could say you seeing it like that perhaps hints that you're a pawn to your chicken **** pacifist mentality...

edit: 2000 posts. first time Iv said ***********

ReputationRep:
    your chicken **** pacifist mentality...
    Not a pacifist

it's just that... for some strange reason.. cant understand why... i dont want to kill an innocent person just so that a country can expand its imperial ambitions! They tried to do that over here once and many people who share the same views as me fought and died to keep them away! So much for pacifists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    Well if we're comparing to small pickings like the Romans and the Nazis, then the Indian famines alone are in the tens of millions.
    While I dont think such atrocious failures of governance should be forgotten, I dont think they should be brought up forevermore unless the regime is continuing to act in this fashion...
    And India has had such famines all through its history, the monsoon climate continues to wreak havoc in the region, albeit with less effect due to economic advancement.

Something that happened 3 centuries earlier shouldn't doesn't really have any bearing on the 1900 onwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    Not a pacifist

it's just that... for some strange reason.. cant understand why... i dont want to kill an innocent person just so that a country can expand its imperial ambitions! They tried to do that over here once and many people who share the same views as me fought and died to keep them away! So much for pacifists?
    Explain to me how Britain was expanding its imperial ambitions in the build up to WW1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgehunter)
    Denmark, Norway and Finland fought in WWII. Thats 3/4.
    indeed.
    and those three and sweden are involved in Afghanistan so thats all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    Exactly. But like I've said, I have no problem with military defence. It's the rest of world I don't want them getting involed in; using my tax money for a cause I don't believe in.
    Do you realise that the majority of people in the armed forces have done so to help others. You won't find many who are joining up to shoot and kill people.

Defense is fine yes, but its not the only role the armed forces have.

ReputationRep:
    And India has had such famines all through its history, the monsoon climate continues to wreak havoc in the region, albeit with less effect due to economic advancement.
    ..I think you should read up on the history of Britain in India ok

Explain to me how Britain was expanding its imperial ambitions in the build up to WW1?
    The entire build up to WWI was Britain defending its brutal empire, with the prospect of some german empire to carve up at the end? Obviously we couldn't enslave WHITE people, god no, but we'd find a way to exploit them.

and i was talking about my position right now, after you called me a pacifist, not world war one britain

ReputationRep:
    ******* pacificsts. War is a bloody nasty thing, awful, terrible, bloody and most certainly to be avoided whenever possible.

But it is necessary far, far too often, as quite frankly the world is still full of evil little pricks who think that everyone without a big bushy beard and a bad case of BO needs to be either beheaded, or locked inside and buggered silly whenever possible. Sometimes both actually...

Oh and plenty of jumped up little short-arses with, or who are trying to get nukes. Never mind of course the fact that half of Africa seems to be at war with itself half the time, we really ought to try doing something about that you know...

Anyway, personally I think that all those unwilling to serve in the armed forces ought to be locked up or thrown out of the country. We really don't need that sort of riffraff using up perfectly good air...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Never mind of course the fact that half of Africa seems to be at war with itself half the time, we really ought to try doing something about that you know...
    Umm, no. We (with a few others) caused it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    therefore i feel that we have a duty to try and fix it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    therefore i feel that we have a duty to try and fix it
    Fix imperialism with a big dose of some more imperialism.. GENIUS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    The entire build up to WWI was Britain defending its brutal empire, with the prospect of some german empire to carve up at the end? Obviously we couldn't enslave WHITE people, god no, but we'd find a way to exploit them.

and i was talking about my position right now, after you called me a pacifist, not world war one britain
    Oh right! so you think even now we are fighting to expand our imperialist ambitions? We want to rule Afghanistan and Iraq so bad.
    Sorry I misunderstood. I estimated your intelligence too high if thats what you were really saying.

(Original post by Asert)
    oh yeah! the past actions of Britain are the cause for all current world problems. sorry, I forgot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    or maybe with no strings attached AID?
    or maybe with PEACEKEEPING forces to stop genocides such as that in Rwanda?
    both of which are not imperialism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    Yeah, current Uk operations in Africa are imperialist in nature.

ReputationRep:
    They fight in the army because they have no other job opportunities.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.