Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does frozen food have to be used within a month? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Now that my house mates have gone, i'm taking some of their good food that they left

The problem is I have things like frozen mince meat dating back to February, and some even as far back as December. I'm hoping to crack on with some good quality sausages this morning but they went off in May and it says on the pack that you should use within a month. I'm assuming this isn't correct?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't touch the stuff from December.
    Food used within the month - will be at its best. After that the quality of it will decline.
    Freezing can only do so much before it actually starts to damage the food.
    Over-freezing and stuff like that.

We had ice-cream left at the back of the freezer for about 4 months that we'd forgotten about.
    It tasted really bad - like it had gone off. Insane - I thought ice-cream liked coldness. such a waste.

ReputationRep:
    It's just to cover themselves if something did happen to you. Most of the food in my freezer has been there for over a month and I've never been ill from it. I don't eat meat though, so I'm not sure about that...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.