Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering whether to decline my insurance. At the moment I hold an offer for medicine at leeds (AAB) and biology at edinburgh (BBB) - I'm almost guaranteed two As as I went in to the exams only needing a few points to achieve them. However I'm very worried I'll miss my B grade in Chemistry and miss both offers. I also got an email from edinburgh saying I can only have bunk bed halls (which I really don't fancy!).

So with the possibility of grades of AAC and being generally put off edinburgh, will it be easier for me to decline edinburgh now to make going into clearing easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icouldbedreaming)
    I'm wondering whether to decline my insurance. At the moment I hold an offer for medicine at leeds (AAB) and biology at edinburgh (BBB) - I'm almost guaranteed two As as I went in to the exams only needing a few points to achieve them. However I'm very worried I'll miss my B grade in Chemistry and miss both offers. I also got an email from edinburgh saying I can only have bunk bed halls (which I really don't fancy!).

So with the possibility of grades of AAC and being generally put off edinburgh, will it be easier for me to decline edinburgh now to make going into clearing easier?
    Could you contact Edinburgh and see if they will accept you with AAC as it is basically the same as ABB (they are both 320 UCAS points)

ReputationRep:
    Since you have already accepted their offer as your insurance choice, there isn't an automatic process of just declining that offer.

You would have to ring the university and ask them to release you from that place to be able to enter clearing. It's fairly likely they would allow you to do so (since you're telling them you don't want to go - they'd rather have people who want to be there), but bare in mind they aren't under any obligation to release you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Could you contact Edinburgh and see if they will accept you with AAC as it is basically the same as ABB (they are both 320 UCAS points)
    That's very unlikely... Edinburgh are very oversubscribed... When they say BBB, they mean BBB...

ReputationRep:
    yes very unlikely. my friend who is dyslexic needed BBB last year and ended up wth ABC for georaphy. she got nearly 600 for geog and nearly B for biology. but edinburgh said no

ReputationRep:

I'm in exactly the same position, except with Bristol (Firm) and Portsmouth (Ins.) both for Biology.
    I doubt you would get into Medicine having missed your offer by a grade unless your interview went amazingly well. I'd consider the likelyhood of you being happy at Edinburgh having been declined from Leeds. If you're sure you won't be happy then go and ask (nicely) Edinburgh to release you.
    If you're mainly just worried you'll miss both offers but would be happy at either just stick it out.

(Original post by jkyng1)
    yes very unlikely. my friend who is dyslexic needed BBB last year and ended up wth ABC for georaphy. she got nearly 600 for geog and nearly B for biology. but edinburgh said no
    I think it would depend highly upon whether Geography or Biology was really relevant to the degree course.

ReputationRep:
    i mean my friend got nearly full marks for geography and she applied for geog..im sure biology is not that relevant to a geog degree.

ReputationRep:
    i mean my friend got nearly full marks for geography and she applied for geog..im sure biology is not that relevant to a geog degree.
    OK, fair enough. I was just checking. I know someone who applied to do Maths and had an offer of ABB. They got an A in Physics (really good A btw), an A in English, C in Maths and C in Further Maths. They weren't let it.

ReputationRep:
    that makes a lot more sense compared to my friend's situation. but yea - so edinburgh is super strict.

ReputationRep:
    that makes a lot more sense compared to my friend's situation. but yea - so edinburgh is super strict.
    Could just be that everyone else made the grades so they had no space, maybe they were even oversubscribed. Sometimes it really is just luck.

ReputationRep:
    true. things may change every year

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is known for insisting on a minimum of a B in all subjects, so that AAC is not acceptable instead of BBB.

This solves your problem anyway so there's no need to go through the hassle of getting released now - if you get your B you're in at Leeds in any case, insurance choice redundant; if you don't, Edinburgh won't take you, so you'll go straight into Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    You can't just decline now. They have to release you, i was in a similar (well not really) situation, had to write a signed letter to my insurance asking them to reject my application. If you ask them to withdraw you you have to withdraw your entire ucas application.

Best bet is write a formal letter and send to admissions, along with an email.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.