Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think this is a law that a hell of a lot of people break at one time or another. How many paperboys do you think are properly documented, for example?

It's frankly ridiculous that it's even an issue.

I doubt some young person on a pissy wage is going to be particularly put out if they get fired.
    well I said ''people who work like that'' i was not talking about a 15yo i was talking about people in general who work like that.

ReputationRep:
    I stated on my CV that I had a job (which was the cash in hand job) and I havent got a P45, what should i do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    ''because of earning too little'' -> that is related to age.. so in a way whether you pay tax or not is related to your age..
    Uh, not really. You'll find plenty of young people earning over the threshold.

ReputationRep:
    no its not illegal, you wont get taxed on £20 a week anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahib18)
    I stated on my CV that I had a job (which was the cash in hand job) and I havent got a P45, what should i do??
    well i guess you could explain that at the time you weren't up on the law and was just after a bit of money...which i think is true...but now u realise it was probebly illigal

but 'illigal' cash in hand jobs are probs more common in teenagers than sum would think so i dont think u will be rejected or suddenly prosecuted over it so...

or just say you've lost the form...lol

ReputationRep:
    say it is illegal, wat u gonna do?
    u've spent the money, taxman neva knew, u dont work der anymore.
    Who cares???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Just to be clear to everyone on this common misconception - being 15 has nothing to do with whether you pay tax/NI or not.
    It is relevant in this case - no-one pays tax/NI under 16.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, not really. You'll find plenty of young people earning over the threshold.

FINE I give up lol 3 times someone knew better, have it your way lol.

I'll be honest with you, im Dutch and in the netherlands there is no way for a young kid to earn above the threshold. first of all, what do you mean with ''young people'' define young.. second of all i dont know how it is in the UK but atleast in the netherlands you are not allowed to work full-time until a certain age..

ah well i can't be bothered dicussing this anymore XD
    have it how ever you like it :P

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it's only illegal to pay cash in hand if, in doing so, you avoid payment of taxes. So an employer could pay cash in hand as long as he does the paperwork.

Realistically, if you're not evading tax, the Government will have fifteen thousand other things they'd worry about before prosecuting you.

As to a contract you have this whether it's in writing or not and DO have rights regarding unfair dismissal etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahib18)
    Okay so I had a job when I was 15 and 16 working at a local school uniform store. I only worked there for like 5 hours a week and got paid £20. I was given cash in hand. I didnt fill out any P45 or anything like that. I just found out that 'cash in hand' is illegal because you avoid taxes and stuff but then I thought since I'm under 18 and only earn £20 a week it'll be fine. Can anyone tell me if what I did was illegal (I dont work there anymore).

Thank You
    it doesnt matter, just dont get caught and hide yourself :ninja: whats a few pennies to the government? well they'd take anything actually... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people are confusing 'cash in hand' and 'paid cash'.

Cash in hand is traditionally the term for payments made off the books, therefore illegal.

There is nothing wrong with being paid cash as long as the paperwork is there to back it up.

ReputationRep:
    When I worked up at a garden centre I was given an envelope that contained cash and a payslip which detailed any tax which I might have had to pay alongside my NI number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    It is relevant in this case - no-one pays tax/NI under 16.
    Are you saying that no-one under 16 is required to pay tax, or that in reality nobody under 16 earns enough to pay tax? If the former, you're wrong, sorry. There is no minimum age limit for being liable for tax/NI - it's purely about how much you earn. If the latter - obviously that's not strictly true. Sure, the vast majority of people under 16 won't earn enough, but there's nothing stopping you. 15-year-olds are permitted to work 20 hours a week during school weeks (2 per day except 8 on Saturdays), and 35 in the holidays. And you often hear about 15-year-olds with Ebay businesses etc

ReputationRep:
    Youll be sent to prison for life you criminal lol

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying that no-one under 16 is required to pay tax, or that in reality nobody under 16 earns enough to pay tax? If the former, you're wrong, sorry. There is no minimum age limit for being liable for tax/NI - it's purely about how much you earn. If the latter - obviously that's not strictly true. Sure, the vast majority of people under 16 won't earn enough, but there's nothing stopping you. 15-year-olds are permitted to work 20 hours a week during school weeks (2 per day except 8 on Saturdays), and 35 in the holidays. And you often hear about 15-year-olds with Ebay businesses etc
    as far as i was aware, you are liable for income tax from birth but NI from the age of 16. I could be wrong however

ReputationRep:
    There is no minimum age limit for being liable for tax/NI
    You are wrong:
    you are 16 or over and under State Pension age (currently 60 for women, 65 for men)
    from HMRC. How many 15 year olds do you know will be at school full time and working enough hours to pay NI? (currently £110 per week)

ReputationRep:
    Just say to your new employer that you didn't get a P45...you don't need to mention it was cash in hand. You can fill in a P46 instead, it'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    You are wrong:

from HMRC. How many 15 year olds do you know will be at school full time and working enough hours to pay NI? (currently £110 per week)
    Ah, didn't realise that rule existed for NI, thanks. But I assure you no such rule exists for income tax, and you did say "tax/NI". On your latter point - as I said, you're allowed to work up to 35 hours a week during school holidays, which could easily put you over £110, though it's moot given the age restriction.

ReputationRep:
    This is not legal. Under the age 18 and earning £20 per week £1040 per is well under your tax free allowance and at that rate you would not be paying national insurance either however your former employer should be paying national insurance and tax on your pay. You are not athe fault here your former employer is and the tax man will not waste there time chasing an employer for tax at such a small amount pet year (under £18 per year)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.