Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Posted this in the part time employment forum but I thought I'd probably get a quicker and more helpful response in here.

I'm going to Bristol tommorow and I've got interviews at Oceana, Syndicate (another big club) and a smaller club/bar. The first one seems to be a proper formal interview, but the other ones seem to be more casual, and I have no idea what to wear. I think smart clothes like at a normal interview might be too much and give a bad impression, but I don't want to underdress either. Does anyone know what the staff wear at Oceana when they are working?

I've worked in a bar before, but I didn't really have a proper interview.

Edit: also do the normal interview rules of natural but polished makeup apply, or should I do slightly smokey eyes or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I couldn't say specifically for Oceana, but most nightclubs I've been to, the uniform either seems to be head to foot black (vest tops, t shirts, so they don't get too hot) or black trousers/skirt and a t-shirt with the bar's logo on it.

I'd go for smart casual for both. Black trousers and a skirt, and then a pretty top.
    Yep, wear the uniform before you even get the job, shows them how desperate for the job you are. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Do you think a black blazer over a printed shift dress would be appropriate?

ReputationRep:
    Ooo I live in Bristol, what's the other bar?
    Maybe something similar to what you'd be wearing- smart enough to show that you care about the job but not too much so that it seems like you're boring/uninteresting because they want sexy girls to sell the drinks don't they?!
    Black blazer over dress sounds cute I've never gone for an interview in a nightclub though so can't really tell you much.. good luck though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakata)
    Ooo I live in Bristol, what's the other bar?
    Maybe something similar to what you'd be wearing- smart enough to show that you care about the job but not too much so that it seems like you're boring/uninteresting because they want sexy girls to sell the drinks don't they?!
    Black blazer over dress sounds cute I've never gone for an interview in a nightclub though so can't really tell you much.. good luck though.
    Oooh, you could be quite helpful then
    The other bar is The Lizard Lounge.
    Do you know much about any of the venues? How the staff dress, what the management are like, what the general vibe is like etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)

I've worked in a bar before, but I didn't really have a proper interview.
    Knuckle dusters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    Knuckle dusters?
    Lol. I was friends with one of the DJs and they were looking for someone at short notice. Ended up staying for a year.

ReputationRep:
    bra and panties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Oooh, you could be quite helpful then
    The other bar is The Lizard Lounge.
    Do you know much about any of the venues? How the staff dress, what the management are like, what the general vibe is like etc.
    ahh coolnever been to lizard lounge but it's really popular, often long queues out the door. don't like oceana much, lots of orange girls if you knwo what i mean but it can be good.lots of different rooms with different music so i guess you get a good mix of people. never buy drinks there because they're expensive so can't help you with what the staff are like lol only been to syndicate once or twice, it's not as flash as oceana :P its cool though. i really can't help much though lol, i'm not the biggest fan of anywhere you're applying to but they're all pretty popular. good luuuuuck! let me know if you have any other q's about bristol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.