The Student Room Group

Lip piercing - placement.

So I got my lip pierced the other day, almost a week ago. And I start Nursing on the 20th September. Yeah I know, clever.. :P

Anyway, we don't start placements until December I believe, which is a lot of time for it to initially heal, though I'm wondering what my options will be from then.

I've been told I can wear a clear plastic retainer, though I assume that only applied to other professional jobs, where infection control isn't an issue. So then there's putting a plaster over it; can you still do this? Though that would make me look like a spaz.

My only other option really is to remove it, and I'm worried that only after 5 months, it would heal up before shift ended. My friend removed hers for a placement, and it healed up within a few hours.

After my first year, it won't be an issue really, as I start mental health placements and i've seen mental health nurses covered in tattoos, piercings with crazy hair :<

Scroll to see replies

AsystoleUK
So I got my lip pierced the other day, almost a week ago. And I start Nursing on the 20th September. Yeah I know, clever.. :P

Anyway, we don't start placements until December I believe, which is a lot of time for it to initially heal, though I'm wondering what my options will be from then.

I've been told I can wear a clear plastic retainer, though I assume that only applied to other professional jobs, where infection control isn't an issue. So then there's putting a plaster over it; can you still do this? Though that would make me look like a spaz.

My only other option really is to remove it, and I'm worried that only after 5 months, it would heal up before shift ended. My friend removed hers for a placement, and it healed up within a few hours.

After my first year, it won't be an issue really, as I start mental health placements and i've seen mental health nurses covered in tattoos, piercings with crazy hair :<

I have my lip pierced and have been told I can't wear my stud. I've had it done 2 years now. I think you need to ask why you can't wear it. For example in my science technician job at a college I can't wear any visible facial jewellery - So I out my retainer in. But in my bar job I just can't wear it - apparently due to hygiene etc even though the head chef wears a LOT of piercings :rolleyes: - But i accept it and take it out.

About a year ago, mine healed up after taking it out for a few hours, but I was still able to get it back through with a bit of force :tongue: Yesterday, I had it out for 8 hours and it went back in fine :smile:

Find out if you can wear a retainer, if not, just try and 're-pierce' each day :p: As far as I concerned I paid money for the piercing and for my jewellery so I'm not gona lose it just because my boss doesn't like it! I'll just respect her wishes in the workplace only :tongue:
Reply 2
AsystoleUK

Unfortunately it's very much health and safety. I know friends of mine that didn't wear theirs for the start of the placement and then sussed out the other members of staff - if others had facial piercings then they felt they could wear theirs without getting into trouble. I would go with wearing a plastic retainer, and then if anyone notices, play all innocent and say you thought it would be okay. As for the mental health placement, it is still nursing and facial piercings are not supposed to be allowed, but in mental health everyone is pretty slack with that and does it anyway, so you may be okay; unless of course you get a really strict mentor who moans at you for it!
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll just wing it till placements then go from there. If the university tutors ask me to remove it for clinical practice days when we're in uniform, I'll be very unahppy :P
Reply 4
Have you found out about whether you can wear a plaster on top? Cause if you can, I'd just wear one, and say you have a bad cut on your lip.
Reply 5
JoeTSR
Have you found out about whether you can wear a plaster on top? Cause if you can, I'd just wear one, and say you have a bad cut on your lip.

lol that excuse might wear thing after a few shifts of placement...
AsystoleUK

It's not really just an issue of health and saftey but also professionalism.

When we started clinical skills sessions and placements from year 1 , we were told that we were expected to be smartly dressed like professionals (i.e. as if were juniour doctors) and this applied to the removal of all visible piercings or flash jewellery. You should have been aware of this beforehand.

I would say keep the piercing in for now until you actually do start placements and then remove it. If tutors ask you to remove it before then, then do so.
Reply 7
smilee172
lol that excuse might wear thing after a few shifts of placement...

Good point, but if you just say it's a piercing to the staff, but to people you see, you could say it's a cut? You wouldn't see each one a load, would you?
Reply 8
Warrior King
It's not really just an issue of health and saftey but also professionalism.

When we started clinical skills sessions and placements from year 1 , we were told that we were expected to be smartly dressed like professionals (i.e. as if were juniour doctors) and this applied to the removal of all visible piercings or flash jewellery. You should have been aware of this beforehand.

I would say keep the piercing in for now until you actually do start placements and then remove it. If tutors ask you to remove it before then, then do so.

I was worried about that. I was aware I would have to remove it for placements but didn't really clock on about clinical sessions. We'll see how it goes I guess.
Reply 9
JoeTSR
Good point, but if you just say it's a piercing to the staff, but to people you see, you could say it's a cut? You wouldn't see each one a load, would you?

Chances are if you're on anywhere other than A&E you'll see the same patients on different shifts. Good thinking though!
AsystoleUK
I was worried about that. I was aware I would have to remove it for placements but didn't really clock on about clinical sessions. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Well iy my uni's sessions are anything to go by, Clinical Sessions will be treated as if they were actually placements and hence you'd be expected to attend them in uniform, smart/professional appearance and manner. It's excactly how it's going to be when you enter the world of work so you best get used to it.
Reply 11
Someone I work with puts hers back in for breaks and lunch.
Reply 12
Retainers are good, you can get really good ones theses days otherwise just taking the ball off is sometimes enough and it doesnt fall out.
Once you get the hang of putting the push-fit end in, these retainers are excellent:

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/bioplast_push_fit_labret_retainer_clear_112901087.cfm
Reply 14
Sakura-Chan
Once you get the hang of putting the push-fit end in, these retainers are excellent:

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/bioplast_push_fit_labret_retainer_clear_112901087.cfm

Hmm i might get some of those, free delivery is always good for me, i need a lip and nose one :yes:
piercings primarily present a risk to the individual from them being caught and causing a laceration if they are pulled

they also present a risk that there is a small chance that they may fall out ...
Reply 16
No worse then having your ears pierced but no one has a problem with that :dontknow: its an image thing IMO and a poor reason to discriminate.
Trigger
No worse then having your ears pierced but no one has a problem with that :dontknow: its an image thing IMO and a poor reason to discriminate.

In my placement area the dress code says no rings allowed apart from a wedding band - does that discriminate against those that are unmarried and want to wear rings?! They just need to draw the line somewhere. Some places allow earrings, some don't. I think a lot of it is to do with someone having piercings all over their face doesn't look as professional as someone who has no facial piercings. It's not just in health care that this happens, it's in a lot of other places too where employees are working with people/the public.
Reply 18
smilee172
In my placement area the dress code says no rings allowed apart from a wedding band - does that discriminate against those that are unmarried and want to wear rings?! They just need to draw the line somewhere. Some places allow earrings, some don't. I think a lot of it is to do with someone having piercings all over their face doesn't look as professional as someone who has no facial piercings. It's not just in health care that this happens, it's in a lot of other places too where employees are working with people/the public.

Yes i am aware of this however i think its about time that some wards who are low risk allow at least retainers :dontknow: just my opinion as i have facial piercings.
Trigger
Yes i am aware of this however i think its about time that some wards who are low risk allow at least retainers :dontknow: just my opinion as i have facial piercings.

It must differ from trust to trust, ours allows retainers/spacers so you should compain to your trust/manager, I know I would!

Quick Reply

Latest