Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Yes i am aware of this however i think its about time that some wards who are low risk allow at least retainers :dontknow: just my opinion as i have facial piercings.
    It must differ from trust to trust, ours allows retainers/spacers so you should compain to your trust/manager, I know I would! I can see in mental healthy why it's not allowed, I imagine if you got punched in the face or something similar with a piercing then it would hurt a lot more than without a piercing. Even in a low risk ward there's still a risk of something like that happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    It must differ from trust to trust, ours allows retainers/spacers so you should compain to your trust/manager, I know I would!
    Oh i dont do the course anymore but i like to lurk and give my 2p. Im a ward clerk now.

ReputationRep:
    Oh i dont do the course anymore but i like to lurk and give my 2p. Im a ward clerk now.
    What made you give up the course? I think I'd actually love to be a ward clerk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    What made you give up the course? I think I'd actually love to be a ward clerk
    I met some people that ****** with my head a lot and my placements were all terrible. If it were just one or the other id be qualified now but both together was too much. The uni gave me naff all encouragement and lastly this pathetic rivalry between nurses and dr's pissed me off.

ReputationRep:
    I met some people that ****** with my head a lot and my placements were all terrible. If it were just one or the other id be qualified now but both together was too much. The uni gave me naff all encouragement and lastly this pathetic rivalry between nurses and dr's pissed me off.
    ah, not the field for you then. i had a lot of terrible placement experiences due to a bunch of *****, unfortunately a lot of people have.

Generally yes facial piercings will ask to be removed, however I have seen some members of staff with nose piercings in the community area, it's best to try and cover it or not have it all together really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Once you get the hang of putting the push-fit end in, these retainers are excellent:

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/onl..._112901087.cfm
    Are those the ones with a blunt end, so they're barely noticeable from the outside? May have to invest in one.. if only I knew my piercing size :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    Are those the ones with a blunt end, so they're barely noticeable from the outside? May have to invest in one.. if only I knew my piercing size :/
    Yep It's just a flat end on the outside with a little spike that's pushed into the hollow bar.

To find out the size, 1.6mm is the same thickness as a 1p coin. If you've got a labret stud in you could take it out and measure it really quickly for the length.

ReputationRep:
    Yep It's just a flat end on the outside with a little spike that's pushed into the hollow bar.

To find out the size, 1.6mm is the same thickness as a 1p coin. If you've got a labret stud in you could take it out and measure it really quickly for the length.
    Cheers. Not looking forward to when I have to take this out. I don't know how i'm going to grip something so small to pull the ring and ball apart : |

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    Cheers. Not looking forward to when I have to take this out. I don't know how i'm going to grip something so small to pull the ring and ball apart : |
    Ah, go back to your piercer and just ask them to do it instead? They will. And it'll be easier than struggling to get the ball back between the ends of the ring again.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, go back to your piercer and just ask them to do it instead? They will. And it'll be easier than struggling to get the ball back between the ends of the ring again.
    Going to have to learn to take it out if i'm doing it every time i have a shift

ReputationRep:
    Take the BCR out and wear a labret for the majority of the course then you can wear the BCR on holidays. I had the same prob but i stick to bars now, i can never get the ball out and in of the damn ring.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Trigger. Besides, if it's a relatively new piercing it's not going to do it much good swapping jewellery really often.

You could always get little push fit spikes or balls, that way you'd only have to take the end off and not take the whole thing out?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know how this situation panned out as I am just about to enter my 3rd year however I really would like a snake bite piercing and nobody I have seen so far has any facial piercings.

ReputationRep:
    <snip> and lastly this pathetic rivalry between nurses and dr's pissed me off.
    that's an interesting comment

or are Nurses not worthy of challenging the poor practice of career grade doctors and not educated enough to make sure that Doctors in Training actually fulfill their service commitments ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    that's an interesting comment

or are Nurses not worthy of challenging the poor practice of career grade doctors and not educated enough to make sure that Doctors in Training actually fulfill their service commitments ?
    Change the record.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be hard. You could probably wear it during lectures but I doubt that they'd let you wear it in clinical skills. In our uni they make you take out earings that are any bigger than studs and if you are not wearing the right footware, clothing, have not cut your nails they won't let you in.

I also study mental health nursing and yes things can be more relaxed in the community. However we were advised to allways be professional and dress smartly no matter what other members of staff were wearing during our placements. I don't think you would be able to wear it on a MH ward.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.