Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Me and a friend were both trying to sort out Uni Stuff (she's going to Edinburgh, me St Andrews) and noticed both sites were down. Looking into it a bit more it looks like a large number of the Scottish Uni sites are down. Edinburgh, Aberdeen, RGU, Heriot Watt, Dundee, St Andrews amongst others.

Anyone got any idea why they'd all go down at once? Strathclyde, Glasgow and UHI are a few we tried and they're fine.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Most likely the English Unis have done this to destroy our better education system
    But yeah that is really wierd, I just had a check aswell.

ReputationRep:
    www.nottingham.ac.uk is down as well!

ReputationRep:
    Abertay, Napier, Queen Margaret, Edinburgh Art are all down.

UWS and Glasgow Caley are up though. Maybe it's the Glasgow Unis on the rampage XD

ReputationRep:
    Ooh so they are =/

Something to do with impending results maybe??

Though I don't see why they'd have to shut their sites down =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    www.nottingham.ac.uk is down as well!
    It really is Glasgow going after all the other Unis then! XD

ReputationRep:
    Probably updating it to include information about clearing etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know o.O Why would the Glasgow ones not be down *shrug*

Just annoying cos my friend was trying to pay her accommodation deposit and it has to be done by tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Probably updating it to include information about clearing etc.
    Well speaking for St Andrews they're not in Clearing at all - and have had a note on the website to say so for the past week and a bit. They wouldn't have anything to update.

ReputationRep:
    ...Wha?

The York site's down as well. Bizzare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmathePiper)
    Well speaking for St Andrews they're not in Clearing at all - and have had a note on the website to say so for the past week and a bit. They wouldn't have anything to update.
    Their website is working fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    Dundee is back online =D

ReputationRep:
    I don't know o.O Why would the Glasgow ones not be down *shrug*
    Because Glasgow universities rule
    TBH we're getting near results day - it's more than likely university websites are being inundated with potential students trying to get info and help.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Nottingham is back up now!

ReputationRep:
    Whoot They live!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    But I don't see why they would need to shut down the entire website not when there are people like me who need to access Athens via the university website in order to gather journal articles for my dissertation!
    What website are you trying to get on?

Whoot They live!
    It's looks like all of them have come back to life :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    What website are you trying to get on?
    Nottingham.ac.uk but it doesn't matter anymore since it's back up now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd hazard a guess (but don't quote me on this) that its because the .ac.uk server is down. I'd imagine to stop a blackout, the various unis will be stored on several servers (so that when one goes they don't all go), and its likely the bit responsible for that part of Scotland chucked it. Whether they have to take them all off in order to to a mass upload for clearing (even though St A isn't in it) I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't all the universities connected to the internet by JANET? Could have been an issue with part of that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.