Turn on thread page Beta

Where to train next? specifics and pics included watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I have been going to the gym for 2/3 months now and im noticing improvements as well as actually quite enjoying it!

I am unsure about a few parts of my body and wish to build these up but want to see peopels opinions on what and where.

I feel like i need to build up my lower abs the most but cannot seem to do it (see pic).

do I need to be doing a lot of cardio for these (to lose weight) or not?

Are there specific excercises i should do for this area?

Also the upper pecs I feel look very flacid so any tips on this part as well?

any advice/help is greatly appreciated!

p.s. please dont give me abuse if you dont like my body as its all work in progress! lol. Im seeking genuine advice from the fitness pro's!

ReputationRep:
    focus on compounds, you need some of everything.

ReputationRep:
    You're just all around skinny.

You need to eat. I don't know yet whether you need to eat 'more' or 'moar'... just eat. And do lots of heavy compound lifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You're just all around skinny.

You need to eat. I don't know yet whether you need to eat 'more' or 'moar'... just eat. And do lots of heavy compound lifts.
    Ya I am struggling to eat more (esp at the moment as im ill so having a few days off gym). I do generally have quite a decent appettite anyway.

I eat lots of chicken and tuna which I think is the right sort of stuff?

my arms and shoulders are bigger than this pic makes them look but was focuing mainly on the stomach area.

Any ideas on getting bigger chest? like compound lifts you mean free weights right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    Ya I am struggling to eat more (esp at the moment as im ill so having a few days off gym). I do generally have quite a decent appettite anyway.

I eat lots of chicken and tuna which I think is the right sort of stuff?

my arms and shoulders are bigger than this pic makes them look but was focuing mainly on the stomach area.

Any ideas on getting bigger chest? like compound lifts you mean free weights right?
    What exactly are you doing in the gym right now? Are you really obsessed with getting a "6 pack"?

ReputationRep:
    I came here to perve on a good body. I am not pleased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    What exactly are you doing in the gym right now? Are you really obsessed with getting a "6 pack"?
    Well i mainly want to get rid of the belly. Im not looking for huge definition just a reasonable toned look. The upper abs i did not have at all before but the lower just dont seem to be about. Ive heard its the harder area to train though.

I vary a lot at the gym. I do chest (upper chest seems to be missing), back, shoulders, pecs, a few diff ab work outs (leg lifts, sit ups etc), free weights (although not many different ways, i have been laying on bench on my back and pushing up 40 ibs in each hand). Im new to weights but i am upping my the amounts slowly but surely.

Im noticing a big difference in everywhere apart from pecs and lower abs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    I came here to perve on a good body. I am not pleased.
    well i did warn you with p.s. please dont give me abuse if you dont like my body as its all work in progress! lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get bigger, which I think you should, then you need to eat more and stop using machines. Stick to heavy compound lifts such as squats, benchpress, deadlifts and overhead press. Since you seem to be going more towards the physique side of things, throw in some chins or curls. Dips are good too.

Stop using machines and learn how to do the above lifts.

Do this for a while and you will get a lot bigger and stronger. Do not be alarmed that you can't see your abs anymore, after you get to a size you're happy with then restrict your calories but carry on lifting weights. You'll burn off the fat to reveal the abs you so desire.

You can't really burn fat and gain muscle at the same time efficiently. It just doesn't work. If you lose fat now, you'll just look skinny and weak. If you bulk up you'll get big and strong, but not really fat. If you try and do both at the same time, you'll go nowhere fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    If you want to get bigger, which I think you should, then you need to eat more and stop using machines. Stick to heavy compound lifts such as squats, benchpress, deadlifts and overhead press. Since you seem to be going more towards the physique side of things, throw in some chins or curls. Dips are good too.

Stop using machines and learn how to do the above lifts.

Do this for a while and you will get a lot bigger and stronger. Do not be alarmed that you can't see your abs anymore, after you get to a size you're happy with then restrict your calories but carry on lifting weights. You'll burn off the fat to reveal the abs you so desire.

You can't really burn fat and gain muscle at the same time efficiently. It just doesn't work. If you lose fat now, you'll just look skinny and weak. If you bulk up you'll get big and strong, but not really fat. If you try and do both at the same time, you'll go nowhere fast.
    thanks man. sounds like good advice. So stick to free weights for now and off the machines. I assume the machines are mainly to preserve muscle rather than being the most efficient way to build it?

The cardio thing did confuse me a bit because I didnt think it would be wise to eat loads and end up burning it all off through cardio.

also can i ask what the overhead press is?

my gym is very old school. cheap and cheerful but mainly for people who know what they are doing! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    thanks man. sounds like good advice. So stick to free weights for now and off the machines. I assume the machines are mainly to preserve muscle rather than being the most efficient way to build it?

The cardio thing did confuse me a bit because I didnt think it would be wise to eat loads and end up burning it all off through cardio.

also can i ask what the overhead press is?

my gym is very old school. cheap and cheerful but mainly for people who know what they are doing! lol
    Machines are for wasting valuable floor space that could otherwise be used for squat racks.

Overhead press:

Learn from the knowledgeable lifters.

2 months is nothing really in this game, try 2 years if you’re natural. Stick to free weights and heavy compound lifts, if you want abs you will need low bf, which really isn't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Machines are for wasting valuable floor space that could otherwise be used for squat racks.
    Best thing said in a long time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    Well i mainly want to get rid of the belly. Im not looking for huge definition just a reasonable toned look. The upper abs i did not have at all before but the lower just dont seem to be about. Ive heard its the harder area to train though.

I vary a lot at the gym. I do chest (upper chest seems to be missing), back, shoulders, pecs, a few diff ab work outs (leg lifts, sit ups etc), free weights (although not many different ways, i have been laying on bench on my back and pushing up 40 ibs in each hand). Im new to weights but i am upping my the amounts slowly but surely.

Im noticing a big difference in everywhere apart from pecs and lower abs.
    you don't have 6-pack abs.

the ab muscle tends to end around the navel

so you'll get a 4-pack [just how your tendons are aligned]

upper chest comes with overall size

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rippetoe)
    The bulk/cut approach holds that you can either add muscle or lose bodyfat, and that all training should be concerned with one or the other.

This assumes that aesthetics is the criterion by which progress is measured, that pictures therefore tell the story, and that picture magazines can be the arbiters of success.

This type of thinking completely ignores the performance aspects of training, and performance is much more easily and rapidly influenced.

Rapid, quantifiable progress keeps motivation high, much higher than waiting for a six-pack that may or may not show up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I think I kind of get that. lol

I am enjoying it anyway and really didnt expect the gym to turn into a hobby so thats a bonus.

Ill just stick to free weights and "non machine" work for now.

thanks for advice guys. useful as always

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    I think I kind of get that. lol

I am enjoying it anyway and really didnt expect the gym to turn into a hobby so thats a bonus.

Ill just stick to free weights and "non machine" work for now.

thanks for advice guys. useful as always
    deadlifts and squats will help your abs too i've had an improvement on mine from a few weeks of weights :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    deadlifts and squats will help your abs too i've had an improvement on mine from a few weeks of weights :yes:
    by squats you mean bench press bar on shoulders right?

sorry but very noob when it comes to the technical terms.

I started trying those but found its painful on my back. I may have been doing them wrong so ill try google the correct way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)

I started trying those but found its painful on my back. I may have been doing them wrong so ill try google the correct way
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Everything you need.

Spend a while reading every page on there. Then buy the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)

I have no idea what your on about :eek:

this is the squat

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...ifts#The_Squat

If you look up and down that page you'll find that all the main lifts are there.

I only starting squatting a couple of weeks ago, started at 40kg and i'm onto 60kg (should be 65 today when i exercise)

It hurt my back to because i'm quite skinny it sorta digs into you a bit, but if you hold it in the right place you just get used to it and the uncomfyness goes.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.